Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

purpose of 48 hour liquids/mushies post fill

I was wondering what the purpose of going back to liqs for first 24 hours then mushies for next 24 hrs then back to normal after every fill is? is this standard, or is it that kind of depends on your doctor thing?

I was just wondering becuase I "cheated" and ate solid food during first 48hrs (I know it was bad) and I was just wondering if there would be any permanant consequenses becuase of my actions.... (i hope to got that answer is no)

so, any idea why they "prescribe" this plan after every fill? is there anyone who doesn't have to do this?

thanks. 5cc's in an 11cc realize-c band and still no restriction....fills not done under flouro

My surgeon is not as conservative as some I've seen on this board. He says to eat whatever is comfortable after a fill. I've had two fills, one of 2cc's and a second of 1cc. After my first fill I only had liquids for two days out of fear of eating and wanting to get back on track. With the second fill I ate half a chicken breast for dinner that same night and had no problems. I would stick with your doctors advice, but unless you feel pain or discomfort that doesn't go away, I wouldn't worry about eating too soon. Good luck :)

my surgeon does require liquids the day of the fill and soft foods the following day.

your stomach swells a little after a fill so its easier on the band and your stomach if you don't eat solid foods. you might feel more restriction during those 2 days because of the swelling so you decrease the odds of foods getting stuck if you take it easy those 2 days after a fill.

don't get me wrong... i've eaten after fills and have been fine but there is always that risk of getting stuck.

The purpose is so that *some* people do not get stuck with the new ristriction. I just always eat slower, and test my new fill. I guess what I am saying is be smart about it. Surgeon sticks to 1 or 2 days just to be safe.

My Office does 48 hours and Mushies. I know for me my stomach is sensitive to fills. I have to take liquid motrin the night before and the morning of my fill, and the next 48 hours. It has to calm down before I introduce any liquids and soft foods. If I do not stick to the guidelines my stomach gets iritated and I get over restricted and I have complications...So I would stick to what your doctor says... from my expirience. I am currently down 104 pounds and going in for a fill tomorrow.....I have not had a fill in 12 months...as I was at my sweet spot and continued to loose weight.

My doctor does the liquids 24 hr, and mushies for 24. Two things your stomach is vey likely to be swollen after the fill and solid foods might cause irritation. Second thing getting stuck SUCKS! Have you ever had a stuck episode? Mine have come from baby carrots (not eaten right after a fill, I'm pretty fanatical about the post fill diet.) that just were'nt chewed enough. People react to fills differently. Some people get the fill drink the Water and think they are fine. That night the fill settles and suddenly they cant even swallow saliva. Imagine how bad it would be if you were eating solid food?

Do I think you've damaged yourself? No. But I would follow the instructions in the future. Considering how doctors vary their orders on everything else the post fill diet seems to be pretty standard.

I just had my 3rd fill today. He put in .8. Told me just liquids today and tomorrow I can go back to normal eating. I am starving, I wonder if I can have Soup tonight. Or should I just stick to chicken broth. I drank tea, Water and Protein shake today. My stomach is growling.

As you get more fills you will notice there is not as much "playroom" to test the band after a fill lol. It is a good habit to get into to go ahead and follow the 24 liquid 24 mushy then normal after every fill because it will be a lifesaver on down the road when the fills really add up. On my 4th I tried to each my normal Breakfast that I eat on my 3rd day after every fill and was only able to eat 1/4 of it.

I was shocked at how my reaction was to my first fill.

I already had about 2 ccs from a passive fill in my band when I had surgery (no Fluid is injected, a syringe is simply inserted and the band is allowed to pull in the Fluid it needs to reach equilibrium).

At my fill they added 1.5 ccs. I didn't really notice anything initially. I was able to drink Protein shakes fine, was on fluids for 24 hours, no issues.

Then the next day I wasn't really hungry. But I did try to eat some rice - stuck. Another day I tried to eat some linguine - stuck. Potatoes - stuck. But things like oatmeal, toast, popcorn, tortilla chips (crunchy foods or food that was already in tiny pieces) was fine.

So I'm having to learn to eat all over again. Tiny bites. Chew really really well. Don't drink at all during meals (doing so now makes eating a painful experience) - I used to be able to drink fine with meals (I know I wasn't supposed to).

A great example: I made myself a Breakfast burrito yesterday (8 days after my fill) with a very thin tortilla (it was 1" wide and about 5" long) and as long as I took very tiny bites it was fine. Until that last bite - over full, stuck, slimed, PBed for the first time. Needless to say, being stuck sucks horribly, the sliming is horrendous, the PBing is scary because you don't want to start to vomit.

So listen to your Dr. Your fill may be fine initially. It may be fine the first night. It may be fine the first two weeks. Then it might hit and you're restricted and it's a hard thing to relearn overnight.