Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi,

I am researching the Lap Band, and my doctor says he would rather that I didn't get the Band at this time. He said I am too healthy for it and it is dangerous. I reminded him about my high cholesterol, and my request for Motrin for my aches and pains in my back, knees and now-heels and feet. He wants me to wait for some new pill that is suppose to be available this summer, something that doesn't have any bad side effects and having great results in testing. I don't remember what the name of it was.

So, anyway I am not real happy about our discussion about the Band. I am still researching.

What I want to know is this: do any of you smoke cigarettes? I smoke about a pack a day, which is WAY down from what I had been smoking. I know, it's a bad and unhealthy habit. I am asking because so many doctor's say they will not install the Band to a smoker. Just wondering if there are any smokers with the Band? Please don't yell at me. I know I need to quit--and have in the past. Just wondering about smoking with the Band... :smoke And I am not talking about those funny looking cigarettes!

Thanks a bunch!

Yes I'm a smoker but no were near where you are and hope to be a x smoker before sugery date. 6 days No ciggarettes I'm happy with that they want you 3to 4 weeks smoke free you heal faster when you don't smoke that's what I was told by my doctor.........Dr. Peter Rantis

My doctor didn't tell me to quit, I chose to 2 weeks before my surgery. I have just heard about all the breathing issues that come with smoking after surgery. I will admit that I did cheat yesterday and today and had a few drags. My doctor also told me that if I go back to a pack a day like I was, I will develop ulcers in my small pouch, that's enough for me to stay an ex-smoker!!!

I am a smoker. I stopped 2 weeks before the surgery by chose. I spent sbout 6 months on researching lap band I have not heard anything about side effects to the band.

im smoking and i quited only 2 days before the surgery, im not proud of this, the only problem i had after surgery was that i was coughing for 10 days. Thanks God i had a very good anaesthiologist..

I think two weeks before surgery would be better!

My two cents: I know many of us have tried the weight loss pills of the past. And regardless of how safe they think it is now...How often is it the case that 2 years later they realize there are bad side efffects.

I think the band - although an object being placed in your body, is more natural than altering your chemistry in your brain with meds.

end of two cents

:Bunny

Hi Everybody-

I agree. I need to quit cigarettes. I quit in the fall for about a month. I started smoking again. It is very hard to do. I gained 20 pounds-and I don't need the weight. Doctor put me on some anti depressant that was suppose to help-it didn't. I reached a breaking point at a dinner, and STOLE a cigarette! I can't believe I did it. I felt so bad, I went back to the party with a whole pack of cigarettes for the person I took the cigarette from and apoligized. I am so embarrassed I did that, and I am confessing it! So I thought that it was so stupid. I was mentally hooked on it, but not physically. I really did have it beat! So, I am back to smoking a pack-which is half of what i was smoking. I am thinking I was SO hooked at such a high level that it will be easier to ease off of the addiction when I am smoking less. That's the theory anyway! Working on it.

And I also agree with you guys. No diet pill will be the solution. Always there is something bad they find out LATER about whatever diet pill gets pushed thru the testing the government requires.

Stocky MD, I think it was a pill that works with the cortisol (sic?) in the body. Do you know what the name of this diet pill is that is in testing still? Please post if you have heard of it, so I can look at some of the research and go armed with information to my doctor's office. I remember he did say it was to be released to the public this summer.

Regardless, with my insurance (BCBS-MI) I have to be on a medically (doctor) supervised diet to lose weight for 12 months BEFORE they will approve installation of the Lapband. So I am going to be popping into the doctor's office so they can weigh me and start with the documentation.

Thanks for the advice!

I would definitely take the band over those weight loss pills. I tried phen-fen and stopped after three months because it made my mouth so dry I couldn't talk on the phone, which is a huge part of my job. I'm so thankful that i didn't take it any longer! My endocrinologist wanted to put me on Meridia, but I w as told diarrhea was a side effect and I refuse to live with that. Seems like the assure us that this next pill is the miracle one and then a few months or years down the road change their minds. The band is inert material that won't change your body chemistry, and to me that's a better way to go.

Emily

I used to smoke almost 3 packs a day....I ended up being hypmotized and it worked, TWICE! I quit the first time for 4 years and cheated one night that I had too many beers :) and before the week was up I was at 2 packs a week again. What can I say, I have an addictive personality. Fortunatly, the dr. who hymotized me also gave me a life time guarantee and I took him up on it. The second time I quit it was even harder but I have been smoke free now for 21 years. I don't miss it at all! I know how hard it is and I wish you great luck!

Have you tried Patches and chewing on pencils? I quit years ago and gained weight like crazy. I also tried all the diet pills i could find, legal and otherwise. shhh and guess what it wasnt my stomach that was making me eat in the beginning it was my head. Your DR doesnt sound very sharp to me...sorry. All medicine is processed thorugh one vital organ or another. Kidneys or Liver..and the long term effect hasnt really been disclosed. Are you supposed to be on those magic pills for the rest of your life? Have you ever wondered why America has so many Kidney failures compared to most other developed countries? We are medicine happy, and dont use herbs like most others do. Start with a new Dr. and Document the lmonthly weigh ins, get the band and then go back when you get healthy and show him a thing or two, I think he gets mony from drug Co. to push pills. It really irks me when someone wants to take action to help themselves be healty and then have a professional knock the pins from under you. Its your body. Follow your heart. Its usually pretty good to you right?

Another miracle diet drug...people died...people sued...people gained back every pound. You can lose weight on a diet pill and you can also permanently injure your heart. I'm living proof of that. I will never take diet pills again. My dr. has encouraged me with the band because it is minimally invasive, but says absolutely no to DS and GB.

He also won't operate on a smoker. I quit 5 years ago and it is the best and worse thing I ever did. Best for my health, but that is when I gained all the weight. I did all the wrong things and consoled myself with eating. It is all my fault and no one else's. I was mad at the world because I was forced to quit and I wasn't ready....I have 100 extra pounds to show for what getting mad got me :)

Hard to believe dr's. are still touting diet pills after everything that has happened, and hard to believe drug companies are still making them.