Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pushing the envelope

Yeah...I've been doing it. I made myself sick last night because I ate too fast, too much, and something that wasn't "technically" mushie. The thing is, I'm not a puker or a slimer or a productive burper so I end up just feeling incredibly uncomfortable. I keep thinking that, if I could just have a little diet cola, I'd feel so much better.

Anyway... I guess I'm just looking for some words of encouragement (or a slap on the wrist?) from my peers.

Oh...and a question. Does everyone weigh themselves? I've been waiting to go to the doctor's office because I don't want to get obsessive about it but I guess I need to know if I'm actually losing the whole 1-2 lbs a week. Thoughts?

I guess weighing yourself depends on your personality. I now weigh myself every AM and I get ticked if I've gained.5 lb or something. I also have a digital so these tingy tenths of pounds have started driving me crazy. I was never obsessive about it before, but working so hard makes me expect results! I have been thinking though of putting the scale in the closet and taking it out 1X week or so rather than torturing myself daily especially since these tiny variations coiuld be in what I'm wearing, whether I've been to the bathroom, and if I had my coffee yet!

The pushing the envelope thing I can totally relate to. I was banded in Oct and I am just starting now to stop "testing" my band. If I don't absolutely need to eat something, I don't -- easy as that. I used to go as far as I could, now I stop as soon as I can. I think that it is a really hard lesson for overeaters and emotional eaters to learn.........but the one the band can ultimately help us learn!

Guest ASPHALT ANGEL

I weigh myself every morning but I give my self a 5 lb. fluctuation. Which means I don't count a loss or a gain until it gets to a 5 lb difference. That way I don't freak out everyday because you can't trust a scale to weigh exactly everytime. Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck.

**Slap** Just kidding! I think what you are doing is normal newbie stuff. The band takes some getting used too. & it takes a while to figure out that the band is your friend. It's a tool to use how you will. Most of the time I respect it & play along like a good bandster, but occasionally I'll slip. I do have to say though, with all of my bandster sisters that have been eroding, I have been treating my band a lot better lately. & in turn, it's doing it's job. I have lost 7lbs. so far this week! Of course I just have 3 more to lose to get me back to where I was before I gained 10 lbs. over the holidays. Any weight loss after that will be harder. Yep, you had weight loss surgery. But you still have to do all the work (well, most of the work). Were here for ya! Hang in there!

Not to sound 'dumb' but why can't you have a diet soda??? My doc's office said that 'some' people can't drink carbonated things but most can. I'm a diet soda addict! LOL!

Some docs say no sodas cause the carbonation will stretch your pouch. Some bandsters also have extreme discomfort when drinking anything with carbonation. My doc didn't say not to. & I don't have any problems with it. But, I only do it on rare occasions. I don't want to tempt fate!

Prior to banding I was a carbonation junkie. I drank carbonated mineral Water primarily and was addicted to the fizziest one I could find. I only ever drank diet cola at lunch-time (and I miss it badly) but my doc said no carbonation AND no caffeine. I think I'm better off without it. I switched to Propel and that seems to satisfy my thirsties.

Hi.. I weigh myself every morning!!!... sometimes before I go to bed.. Yeah I know.. a bit obsessive huh. But it makes me feel better... in the past if I stopped weighing myself I would start gaining and then I wouldn't want to get back on the scale and bingo.. the weight came back.. I know its different now.. I have this wonderful tool to help me.. guess I just need to get over it..

As for the carbonation thingy.. I can't drink it.. it HURTS.. real pain with one sip.. so I avoid it all together and surviving..

Take care

I weigh myself every morning, and since banding every evening as well because believe it or not, I am also losing weight over the course of a single day. Digital scale, tiny increments but still.

That will stop but a plateau (which I had the entire week before my period) reminds me to keep on track and keep trying, losses are encouraging and I havent seen a gain yet but it would tell me to pull my socks up and do better.

I dont think I'll ever break the habit.

I weight once a week. I started out every day, but found that my weight varys so much from one day to the next. Once a week just works better for me. My doctor also said coffee/tea was fine to drink.

I'm just incredibly nosey, so I weigh in the morning and at night. I like to see how much difference there is in my weight at night, then in the morning. I know it doesn't matter, but mayabe it just reminds me about what I'm trying to do. I have tried to drink a Diet Coke, but it just felt weird and tickly, and I didn't like it. Empty calories anyway. I will take a sip of my DH's Dr. Pepper sometimes.

I've noticed too that where there always used to be a kilogram or so difference in my weight from morning to night, there's now only half a kilo. So much less food going in.

Guest Laura D

Please tell me what I am doing wrong ? I weigh myself everyday. I go crazy watching the up and down movement on the scale. I work out 5 days a week, I do not think I am eating alot. I was banded back on 8/23/05 at 228.5 today 1/7/06 I am only down 23.5 pounds. I have been filled twice. I have a total of 1.5 cc in a 4 cc band. I do not feel any restriction. I stop eating because I feel like I better stop eating. :phanvan

Does everyone feel a restriction from their band. If I do not chew my food enough it gets caught and that is when I have a restriction nothing else goes in. Is the secret eating a big piece first then you can not eat anything else or what. Please people tell me your secrets. I am not a sweet junkie never have been. I do not eat ice cream, I try to eat mostly Protein per my Doctor's Plan 3-4 oz of protein each meal. At times I have a little salad, some veggies no potatoes . So what in the world am I doing wrong ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Hi - I have been testing the band also (see complusive overeater) and wrote that I felt alone and thought no one was admitting the pain and struggle but I received a ton of responses and feel much better with the advice and encouragement...and it has helped me to remember I have CHOICES and can try something different rather then force my old ways on the band. (results disasterous!)...but it is early days so hang in there!

Funny, I just went out and bought a scale yesterday because I was feeling like I wasn't losing and wanted to monitor my weight gain/loss - replacing one obsession with another! Better be careful with that as wellllll!

Hope you are feeling better!

I am a compulsive overscaler lol. I weigh every morning and every night. I have been banded for 3 months, I think after 6 months I will start every week weighing in.