Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting banded 2/18 and scared to death! Please tell me about your experience?

Hey guys! I'm new to this forum, as a matter of fact I've never joined a forum before! So I am getting banded on 2/18. I was scheduled for 2/15 but I came up with a terrible cold so we had to resch! Hopefully I'll get better on time!! I am 5/4 and weigh 235. I'm on my liquid diet and its killing me, I'm starving!! What did you guys eat (drink) on your one week pre op diet? How was your experience the day of surgery (before, during, after?) I'm scared to death of this operation, I've never had surgery before! Please share with me your experiences and how you would go about the procedure and preperation if you could do it again. Thanks!

HI I just had my surgery on 2/17 Im on day 3 still in pain, my left shoulder hurts, but it has improved since the day of surgery. I still have been drinking my shakes. When I started my per op diet I was 234 and im 5 4". I weighed myself today and it said 229.

Wow that was so nice of you to write all that, really helped me

i just want to say my heart aches for the loss of your mom

i am 50

i have surg on 2/23

thanks again for your story and i know you will do great from here on out cuz you have such a great attitude

Hi there Natty,

I was just banded 2/8. I didnt have to go on a pre op diet. My Dr. said that we are on a liquid diet after surgery and does not like to do that before because he believes its too long and people may give in an sneak or fail. The morning for surgery I got up and headed to the hospital alone. I had to be there by 8:45. My boyfriend was going to get our little girl ready and meet me there before surg. When I got there I checked in. They took me to a waiting room with other people having surgery. After a short time they called me back and checked me in and asked me a bunch of questions about meds, when I ate/drank last ect. I went back to the waiting room and about 15 mins later they came and got me. I was takin to an area that is set up like ER but its you and other people waiting for surg. I then changed into my gown and stylish non skid socks they give you. They were running a little behind. Another gal came in and asked me the same questions about meds, food, water ect. My two loves had now shown up. They gave me a shot in the tummy to prevent clots and said it would sting but I didnt feel anything and also got my IV started. I felt very relaxed this whole time. This was something I had worked hard for. 13 months to be exact. My Dr. came in and said sorry that they were behind but I should be just a few more mins. The anesthesiologist came in next and explained that there was a student there with him that day and asked if he could put the breathing tube down my throat. He explained thats all the student would do if I said yes and he would not be in there for the procedure. After saying yes he told me he was going to give me something in my IV to relax me. He said since I take xanax that I might not feel much and he would give me more in a min. He asked how I was feeling when we got to the OP Room and I said I was ok. He intoduced me to the two ladies in there that would be assisting. After that he said I am going to give you some more now and thats all I remember. I woke up crying lol. I said I was sorry for crying to the nurse. I asked how everything went and she told me it went great. She asked if I was crying because of pain. I explained to her that I was crying because I was happy it was finally done and sad because I made it and my mom didnt. My mom was trying to have the band and before she ever got to being approved or getting close she passed shortly after her 46th bday in her sleep from heart failure. She was amazed that I came out of it and was talking like nothing had just happend. I was told I had to stay in recovery for 2 hrs but after about 30 mins I wanted to go pee so she brought the lovely bed side pot over and I laughed. She told me its this or a bed pan honey. I got up and went and then layed back down. She called up and told them I didnt need to be there for 2 hrs and was ready for my room. My Dr. wanted me to stay over night. Went to my room and got to see my two love. Couldnt have anything to drink. My mouth was so dry. I finally talked them into letting me swish Water around in my mouth and spit it out. Was givin the go on Clear Liquids by my DR but no more after midnight because of the swallow test. I stayed awake all night watching TV and playing on my phone. Did the test at 8 am. everything looked good so I was allowed to go back on clears. (I didnt mention that I was up walking around all night as well.) After surg I was up and walking within 30 mins of being in my room after the recovery area. Not much pain at all. I am now a week out and feeling great. I have already been going to the gym. My only complaint is that gas/ pressure in ur chest below ur breast and the water weight gain. Both of those lest day 5 post op. Sorry I shared such a long story lol. If I had to do it again I would no questions asked. I wish you the best of luck and I hope everything goes smooth for you. Ps. if you search surgery stories in the forum a thread will come up titled surgery day stories. I read from there non stop lol for 2 days before my surg. :)

Hey guys just a quick update from me.. I had a really bad cold around the time of my scheduled surgery (2/15) so we rescheduled for that friday (2/28) Well Friday came around and I was still sick so now its scheduled for 3/7. I'm so bummed out that it keeps getting pushed back! I still have a pretty bad cough that wont go away, any tips on treatments for the cough?? Thanks for all the caring feedback, I will keep you guys posted on how it all goes..

Natty

Good luck with your journey! I had my band in May 2010 and am down 65 lbs. I have had ups and downs. I have to say I got really sick off the pain meds post-op and didn't know if I had made the right decision. Months later, I know I did. One thing I didn't anticipate was stress affecting my band. The days when I feel too stressed I can hardly eat. I just had some Fluid taken out and so far am feeling great. Hopefully just another stepping stone. My other tip is stay active. I work at a desk but try to get a min of 30 mins a day, 5 days a week. Some weeks better than others but I think this is soooo imporant!

Hey guys! I'm new to this forum, as a matter of fact I've never joined a forum before! So I am getting banded on 2/18. I was scheduled for 2/15 but I came up with a terrible cold so we had to resch! Hopefully I'll get better on time!! I am 5/4 and weigh 235. I'm on my liquid diet and its killing me, I'm starving!! What did you guys eat (drink) on your one week pre op diet? How was your experience the day of surgery (before, during, after?) I'm scared to death of this operation, I've never had surgery before! Please share with me your experiences and how you would go about the procedure and preperation if you could do it again. Thanks!

my name is mike b please first timer in forums section

I am going to the doctors today to ask him to refer me over to a surgeon to get the lap band. It seems my insurance will cover it so that helps me out a lot but iam still super scared about having to do a surgery and how long it will take to actually get a surgery scheduled I was hoping i could get it start it right before summer so that I could be healthier and more active for a ski trip in the winter.

I am so nervous though..... I really need this to work because I am soooo unhappy with myself that it is making my depression worse!

Helen

I will be getting banded on March 9th so I look forward to reading how it went! I have been on the shakes, blah they arent bad, but I would really like some food!

Hey guys just a quick update from me.. I had a really bad cold around the time of my scheduled surgery (2/15) so we rescheduled for that friday (2/28) Well Friday came around and I was still sick so now its scheduled for 3/7. I'm so bummed out that it keeps getting pushed back! I still have a pretty bad cough that wont go away, any tips on treatments for the cough?? Thanks for all the caring feedback, I will keep you guys posted on how it all goes..

Natty

Mucinex and a ZPack may help alot - I hope you get better soon! Good luck!

Hey guys I'm better from my cold thank God, my band is scheduled for 2maro and Lord am I NERVOUS!! I will keep you all posted on how it went. Wish me luck!!!

Finally got banded 2 days ago!! I'm still trying to recover, this is quite painful, mostly the gas that is. Thanks for all the great advice. I'm so excited for this new chapter in my life!!