Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thinking about getting the lap band - advice needed

Hello everyone,

I am 49 years old and have been battling my weight for most of my adult life. I recently quit smoking 3 months ago and have put on quite a bit of weight although I was overweight when I smoked as well. I am considering the lap band because I am tired of losing 40 lbs only to gain it all back. I would love to hear from anyone with advice, comments etc. on having this surgery. The surgery frightens me and I worry about complications etc. I look forward to hearing from anyone with any advice.

thank you

Val

I really don't have advice on the surgery itself because I'm going through the pre-process. I will tell you how I came to my decision....I'm turning 40 this year. I've been struggling with my weight for 20+ years. I'd lose 40-60 pounds to gain it all back plus more. I had a son at age 37 and now that he is so active, I decided I needed to get this done. I am sick and tired of being sick and tired. I want to be around for my son, I don't want to be an embarrassment. I've stopped and started this process probably 3 or 4 times and was originally going to go with bypass but the whole idea of them cutting my stomach and reducting my insides, freaked me. Permanent freaked me out. The band is such a great tool, I think. Am I worried about complications, yes. BUT, what about the complications from our weight issues? Am I worried about death? Yes, but what about dying from a heart attack at age 45 (for me). I think the risks are worth it. I have really changed things about myself just preparing for this surgery. I know if I would stay on track with the changes I have made for myself, I could probably lose the weight alone but I know it would come back on quickly and the lap band will help me maintain control..

I am a frustrated dieter/life changer. I am able to diet and lose but I get so frustrated when I'm living off of raw vegetables and lean cuisine and not seeing that scale move. I get mad and quit....and the cycle continues. I'm hoping this band will help control the hunger so I'm not "starving" and getting frustrated. I've researched, and weighed my options. I can remain overweight and risk the chances of diabetes, heart disease and cancer to name few or I can gain control of this weight and gain control of my life. I want my son to be proud to call me his mom. I want to take pictures with my son so he has memories of me, but I wont' do it now because I'm humiliated with my appearance. I'm done living in the shadows and I want to be healthy. I'm not saying I want to be skinny...healthy. I've told my surgeon....If I could get to 165 and stay there, I would be thrilled. I want to be able to shop in the normal clothes section and not have to shop in the chubby chic section where they only sell clothes with big flowers and fish on them!

In my opinon, you have quit smoking....great move to improve your health and kudos for your decision. Losing weight will only add strength to you and make you feel better, inside and out.

I am excited about my decision and will eventually look and feel on the outside like I do on the inside. Do the research.. try www.lapband.com - I got a lot of information there. Go to the surgeon and ask tons of questions. I probably call the nurse at least once a week with a new list of questions and they gladly answer them for me. There is a lot of information here too, just don't listen to the horror stories, because they are with every situtation. Some people have horrible pregnancies, gall bladder removals, perms.....but it doesn't stop other people from have successful perms and births....

It's the best thing I ever did! I initially lost 70 pounds and am now working an additional 55. I can't imagine if I didn't do this. I am off all medication and my Type II diabetes is gone, my blood pressure is normal, and I get around great. People treat you differently in a good way (which is terrible because it's discrimination to heavier people) and it's amazing how life has changed. Don't think you don't have to work, though, you do. You have to eat the right stuff, eat slow, plan in advance when you are going out (though, there's not a place I can't go), learn to take it easy so you don't get stuck and follow the rules you're given. I feel better about myself and my husband says he has fallen in lust with me!!! This was my first Valentine's Day without goodies and it didn't bother me a bit.

There are some challenges, though. Losing weight so quickly can make your gall bladder fail. That happened to me but they fixed me right up and I was good as new. It's hard to keep up with clothes. I now wear my clothes a little baggy until I hit like the 20-25 pound mark, then I get some new ones that fit better. As you lose weight on the outside, you also lose it on the inside, so you most likely will need to get fills (some people don't, but I definitely needed them.)

I considered all types of weight loss surgery and thoroughly researched (I'm a doctor) and decided this was the best option for me. I definitely made the right decision! I hope you make the best decision for you, too!

Good luck and let us know what you decide! :rolleyes:

I really don't have advice on the surgery itself because I'm going through the pre-process. I will tell you how I came to my decision....I'm turning 40 this year. I've been struggling with my weight for 20+ years. I'd lose 40-60 pounds to gain it all back plus more. I had a son at age 37 and now that he is so active, I decided I needed to get this done. I am sick and tired of being sick and tired. I want to be around for my son, I don't want to be an embarrassment. I've stopped and started this process probably 3 or 4 times and was originally going to go with bypass but the whole idea of them cutting my stomach and reducting my insides, freaked me. Permanent freaked me out. The band is such a great tool, I think. Am I worried about complications, yes. BUT, what about the complications from our weight issues? Am I worried about death? Yes, but what about dying from a heart attack at age 45 (for me). I think the risks are worth it. I have really changed things about myself just preparing for this surgery. I know if I would stay on track with the changes I have made for myself, I could probably lose the weight alone but I know it would come back on quickly and the lap band will help me maintain control..

I am a frustrated dieter/life changer. I am able to diet and lose but I get so frustrated when I'm living off of raw vegetables and lean cuisine and not seeing that scale move. I get mad and quit....and the cycle continues. I'm hoping this band will help control the hunger so I'm not "starving" and getting frustrated. I've researched, and weighed my options. I can remain overweight and risk the chances of diabetes, heart disease and cancer to name few or I can gain control of this weight and gain control of my life. I want my son to be proud to call me his mom. I want to take pictures with my son so he has memories of me, but I wont' do it now because I'm humiliated with my appearance. I'm done living in the shadows and I want to be healthy. I'm not saying I want to be skinny...healthy. I've told my surgeon....If I could get to 165 and stay there, I would be thrilled. I want to be able to shop in the normal clothes section and not have to shop in the chubby chic section where they only sell clothes with big flowers and fish on them!

In my opinon, you have quit smoking....great move to improve your health and kudos for your decision. Losing weight will only add strength to you and make you feel better, inside and out.

I am excited about my decision and will eventually look and feel on the outside like I do on the inside. Do the research.. try www.lapband.com - I got a lot of information there. Go to the surgeon and ask tons of questions. I probably call the nurse at least once a week with a new list of questions and they gladly answer them for me. There is a lot of information here too, just don't listen to the horror stories, because they are with every situtation. Some people have horrible pregnancies, gall bladder removals, perms.....but it doesn't stop other people from have successful perms and births....

I could have wrote your story...except I don't have children.

25 years of yo-yo dieting...feeling out of control when the weight creeps back up and needing control over the situation led me to the lap band.

You have to be willing to work at it to get to your goal. There are only a select few that get to their personal goal without putting forth extra effort to get there. And by that I mean eating healthier, watching portion sizes, and exercising.

You have the right mentality right now. You've quit smoking! CONGRATULATIONS! That is a major achievement right there - don't minimize that.

Getting banded was the absolute best thing (outside of finding my hubby) that I've ever done. It has opened up a whole new life for me. An active, relatively pain-free life and I'm loving it.

Ask a bunch of questions from your physician, peruse the boards (but take all opinions with a grain of salt). Many successful people don't post often anymore because they have moved on. Jachut is a great resource and posts often as well as others. You will get to know them after awhile.

I wish you the best in your decision and hope you find the answers you're looking for...