Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What if you lose too much weight on 6-month diet?

My ins. requires a 6-month supervised diet. What if during that diet I go below the 40 bmi? Will the insurance say then, "Oh you're not fat enough anymore. We won't pay."?

I asked this same exact question to my doctor. I was told that this does not matter, it goes by your initial weigh in amount and your consultation weight. They want you to lose some weight to show that you are going to make the effort...the more weight you lose the better because it brings your BMI down and makes the surgery safer.

I had to postpone my surgery for another health issue and ended up losing 50 pounds. My change in BMI never came up though it was still above 40. Another thing to consider is that the weight loss makes the surgery easier. One nurse explained it as such: "Think of your torso as a over full suitcase. The more weight you lose the emptier the suitcase. The doctor needs to get to the bottom. With the fat gone they can get to things much easier which means less trauma to the organs".

I had to do a 6 month nutrition and exercise program for my insurance (Cigna). I lost about 8 pounds during the program. When I started my BMI was at 40.6 and my final weigh in before all my paperwork was submitted my BMI was 39.5. I didn't have any issues with approval and my nutritionist said its always good to lose a little weight to show you are committed.

Good luck to you! :)

Oh that's good to know. Not that I think I'm in danger of going below 40 bmi, I would have to lose about 35 lbs, but you never know.rolleyes.gif

I am so glad that someone asked that question because i was so unsure. I have cigna as well and they want me to do the same thing. I have decided to do the pre-op diet each month for one week until the big day.

I had to do a 6 month nutrition and exercise program for my insurance (Cigna). I lost about 8 pounds during the program. When I started my BMI was at 40.6 and my final weigh in before all my paperwork was submitted my BMI was 39.5. I didn't have any issues with approval and my nutritionist said its always good to lose a little weight to show you are committed.

Good luck to you! :)

I am in the start process. I am scared! My BMI is 40 and confused !!! Do the send your first inital weight to the Ins or you weight after your 6 month nutrition visits??? I am in the gray line too please help

Jenny, they submit your initial weight to the insurance during the approval phase. The pre surgery weight loss is for your benefit during surgery. If you are on the liquid diet, your organs shrink a bit, making it easier to perform the surgery. Also, insurance required 6 month diet is to weed out the people that won't follow the program. I have not met anyone that lost their approval due to weight loss during the required phase. (But you could ask your insurance to verify.)

Good luck and no worries :)

FYI not sure how long before insurance follows but the FDA approved use of LAP Band for use in individuals below 40 BMI for certain instances. I would ask your insurance.