Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lightheaded & Nauseated during workouts

MaggieB
Sign in to follow this  

Started a new type of workout at Crossfit. i have only been twice and both times during the workout I have gotten really lightheaded & nauseated. What exactly is causing this...increased heart rate, my blood sugar dropping??? Just want to prevent it from happening - so embarrassed to need to lay down for fear of passing out. I drink plenty of Water during the day and usually have some kind of light snack about 30 minutes before the workout. Does anyone have any suggestions for me.

I'm finding with an ileostomy I lose a bit more Water and during workouts, I need to have electrolytic fluids now - I buy hydralite, which is some of those special tablets you dissolve for when you've got diarrhoea or vomiting (you probably have different brandnames there), rather than gatorade or similar, which is really just pretend sugar Water rubbish. Water wont cut it for me, my runs felt like I was running through waist high water, i just lacked energy so badly. I have a few of those during the day as well. So even when you're drinking plenty, it may not be enough, especially for somethign like crossfit, which is pretty demanding.

A light snack is a good idea.

And also, pace yourself. I too have been known to go so hard at something that I make myself sick, but you'll get more out of your workout if you just pace yourself a little below that level.

Started a new type of workout at Crossfit. i have only been twice and both times during the workout I have gotten really lightheaded & nauseated. What exactly is causing this...increased heart rate, my blood sugar dropping??? Just want to prevent it from happening - so embarrassed to need to lay down for fear of passing out. I drink plenty of Water during the day and usually have some kind of light snack about 30 minutes before the workout. Does anyone have any suggestions for me.

If you are dizzy I don't think you are consuming enough calories, in order to do this type of workout. Don't beat yourself up and don't be embarrassed. I'm to chicken to even try it. Ohhhh my goodness, good for you!!!. Crossfit is the most intense cardio workout I've seen. I just heard about it a few weeks ago, I did a google search and say a video of it, it's the definition of intense. It seems more intense than p90x and Insanity. I just went for a fill last week and was talking to the nurse practitioner who does my fills. She said she had a patient who had to have an unfill because of the same problem you are experiencing. Apparently you need to increase the number of calories you are eating because you are burning such a huge number of calories. Electrolytes (Poweraid and Gatorate), will not be enough besides they are full of sugar, unless you get the zero calorie. You need to increase your caloric intake. Sounds scary, but that's what the nurse practitioner suggested. Talk to your crossfit coach and ask about the number of calories you should be consuming in order to maintain energy to complete the workout. I'm curious about what you find out. I was told by my trainer to increase my potassium intake, to stop dizziness and fatigue. He suggested a potassium pill or tomatoes. I don't suggest bananas because they are so high in sugar and carbohydrates.

Good Luck