Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

gaining

naynayto2
Sign in to follow this  

I 20 months out after lapband and haven't been walking since summer so I joined a gym to try and get alittle more off but now I have gained...I am doing about 30 minutes cardio and rotating legs and arms machine....about 5 days a week....been doing this 2 weeks...is it normal to gain when you first start exercising and when will I start to lose...please help getting frustrated...

/I got my lap band about 5 months ago and have lost 42 lbs. But I exercise faithfully (5-6 times per week) including cardio (treadmill and ego) weight training and acqua aerobics and have not been able to loose any weight the measurements show the lose but I really need the number on the scale to go down. I am sooo frustrated.

I 20 months out after lapband and haven't been walking since summer so I joined a gym to try and get alittle more off but now I have gained...I am doing about 30 minutes cardio and rotating legs and arms machine....about 5 days a week....been doing this 2 weeks...is it normal to gain when you first start exercising and when will I start to lose...please help getting frustrated...

I'm going to say that is normal and the weight should start going down more easliy after a few weeks, I have noticed the same thing with myself. I work my butt of this week and ate the typical diet with no cheating and BAM I gained. I weighed this morning and I was so pissed off I wanted to punch a wall . But I had to remember that it's not about the scale, it's about the inches. So chin up it should drop soon just keep up the good work.

Yeah just make sure you are watching that you are losing inches. I was losing like a mad man and hit 100 and then wham it just stopped, nothing changed except I started to work out a bit harder in the gym and not doing just the treadmill. But the inches keep dropped so that tells me that muscle is hopefully replacing fat lol

Make sure you are getting enough protein....I know some folks that started exercising and weren't getting enough and they didn't lose...your body needs the fuel to do it's thing! Hang in there!

You may want to consider NOT working out so much. Seriously.

If you work out every day you're not giving your muscles time to repair themselves and grow.

Instead of working out every day start doing it every other day. Or even every third day. Cardio is fine every day to a point - if you do all leg cardio then you're stunting your leg muscle growth.

And when you do weights do heavy weights, so you can only lift them 5-8 times per set. You won't get huge, but you will build muscle, which will burn more fat. You may gain during this phase, but if you're taking your measurements you'll see that they change (and go down where it counts - waist, hips : and go up where it counts - biceps, thighs).

If you don't believe this will work do a little research on HIT (High Intensity Training): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_intensity_training

Look up Kettlebell swings: http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2011/01/08/kettlebell-swing/

Less can be much much more when you're working out.