Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is it really like?

patsfan
Sign in to follow this  

I have my last 6 month nutritional counseling appointment tomorrow. I have all my paperwork ready to go and expect surgery in March sometime. I have one simple question, (kind of) :-)

What is life like after surgery, or how does the band work? I don't mean the first month or so when the diet is very restrictive but one year or years after. Is it just that you aren't as hungry as before or that you don't want to eat because it is uncomfortable. I am having a hard time trying to grasp what life (eating) is like with the band.

Any experiences you can share would be great. Thanks !!

I am sure you will get more in-depth replys so I will keep this short:) I am 21 days shy of being banded for a year and I am loving it! I can eat without any discomfort. I chew until my food is basically a liquid no matter what it is. I take my time as well. I have never slimed, vomit, Productive Burp (PB) or any of those gross things. The only problem I have is with my acid reflux. I am losing slow compared to some people but right on time with the doctor's expectations. I am averaging almost 4.8 pounds a month. I hope your journey is sweet!

Thanks

I am sure you will get more in-depth replys so I will keep this short:) I am 21 days shy of being banded for a year and I am loving it! I can eat without any discomfort. I chew until my food is basically a liquid no matter what it is. I take my time as well. I have never slimed, vomit, Productive Burp (PB) or any of those gross things. The only problem I have is with my acid reflux. I am losing slow compared to some people but right on time with the doctor's expectations. I am averaging almost 4.8 pounds a month. I hope your journey is sweet!

I have my last 6 month nutritional counseling appointment tomorrow. I have all my paperwork ready to go and expect surgery in March sometime. I have one simple question, (kind of) :-)

What is life like after surgery, or how does the band work? I don't mean the first month or so when the diet is very restrictive but one year or years after. Is it just that you aren't as hungry as before or that you don't want to eat because it is uncomfortable. I am having a hard time trying to grasp what life (eating) is like with the band.

Any experiences you can share would be great. Thanks !!

You will find that the band works for all people in different ways. For me, it is both of the ways you mentioned plus some. I am not as hungry as I was before being banded and I am satisfied with very tiny amounts of food. Many food items I avoid because it causes discomfort to eat them. After I have had discomfort with one type of food, it just no longer even sounds good to me and I don't crave it. I'll give you one example of how this has worked.

I was already healed but not at my sweet spot and had not eaten much that day. It was time for me to go pick up my grandson from school and I decided to go through the drive-up at McDonalds to get a small coffee. I also ordered a small french fry and figured I could eat maybe half of them with no problem.

I pulled in the "flow lane" where many other parents were parked waiting for the school bell to ring. I ate about 4 french fries and made sure I chewed them very well and very slow. All of a sudden I needed to throw up! The feeling was instant and I had very little time to react. The only thing I could do was hunch down in the car a little and throw up in the McDonalds bag. It was an experience right there in public! After that day, french fries don't even sound good and I don't miss them. (along with other fried foods)

Thanks Humminbird

You will find that the band works for all people in different ways. For me, it is both of the ways you mentioned plus some. I am not as hungry as I was before being banded and I am satisfied with very tiny amounts of food. Many food items I avoid because it causes discomfort to eat them. After I have had discomfort with one type of food, it just no longer even sounds good to me and I don't crave it. I'll give you one example of how this has worked.

I was already healed but not at my sweet spot and had not eaten much that day. It was time for me to go pick up my grandson from school and I decided to go through the drive-up at McDonalds to get a small coffee. I also ordered a small french fry and figured I could eat maybe half of them with no problem.

I pulled in the "flow lane" where many other parents were parked waiting for the school bell to ring. I ate about 4 french fries and made sure I chewed them very well and very slow. All of a sudden I needed to throw up! The feeling was instant and I had very little time to react. The only thing I could do was hunch down in the car a little and throw up in the McDonalds bag. It was an experience right there in public! After that day, french fries don't even sound good and I don't miss them. (along with other fried foods)

I have been lucky in that I don't have trouble eating particular foods. I've only ever gotten stuck when not chewing baby carrots well enough. Go figure. I think I may be at restriction (took 6 months). I tend to get a no longer hungry feeling rather than feeling full. I wish I did get a full feeling.

I have been lucky in that I don't have trouble eating particular foods. I've only ever gotten stuck when not chewing baby carrots well enough. Go figure. I think I may be at restriction (took 6 months). I tend to get a no longer hungry feeling rather than feeling full. I wish I did get a full feeling.

I'm only 2 1/2 months out, but I feel great and have learned a lot. I read a lot on this forum, but then try different things and see how they work for me. I don't feel full, but I realize now that I am feeling "satisfied" on a very small amount of food. Before surgery, I didn't think that could ever happen! bread and Pasta are about the only things that really bother me, they create a pressure in my chest. So I really just don't want them that much, which is another surprise. I thought it would be hard to go without certain things.

Your ticker has same stats on it as mine when I started. Best of luck to you!

Life is great! But seriously, I have had my ups and downs. Don't make the mistake I made... I lost 70 pounds and thought I was at my sweet spot so I wasn't getting fills. Unfortunately, I put back on about 30 pounds. When I went back to the doctor (hanging my head), he was very nice and said, you need to get a fill. I was also waiting abot 15 minutes and finishing what I had put on my plate (which was a small portion.) He said, "No, when you feel full you are done, regardless of the measured food on your plate, you don't need it." So, here I am, relosing and down another 43 pounds (which is only really 13 because I had gained 30!)

I eat small portion since my last fill in January. I really take my time and don't stand out. Unfortunately, I do get asked a lot by waiters and waitresses, "Is your food okay, are you unhappy with your meal?" My reply is always, "No, I'm just a slow eater." When I'm at events and other people around the table ask me something, I usually just tell them I'm not that hungry. One other trick, I always order a Water when out. If you don't, the waiter/waitress will drive you crazy asking do you want something to drink now (and you're not supposed to drink while eating.)

I have a little trouble with certain breads, french fries, potatoes, and certain dry meats. As NOturningback10 said above, just chew, chew, chew!

The best of luck to you! Life will soon be great! :P

Here's my 2 cents...

I am about 5 months out of surgery and 94 lbs down.

The main differences for me are that I have way more energy and everything is easier...

As for nutrition, I have been stuck a few times (5-7 times). Every time it is one of the following things:

1. I eat too fast

2. I drank when I eat

3. I eat bread

That's it for me. Other than that its pretty great and easy to live with.

GOOD LUCK and I wish you all the best in your weight loss!

AS

Life with the band is different but you learn to live with it. I have been banded on and off for a year and a half and sometimes I forget I have the band. I am so used to the way I eat that I don't think twice sometimes about food it is more a hmm what to eat for dinner well how about blah blah blah and I just know that things like bread etc wont be eaten.

The band is not something that will hang over your head and take over your life. It is a lifestyle change.

However this is not the easy way out. If you dont watch your eating and dont exercise then you can easily gain weight and think that the band was a waste of time because you are working just as hard before the band. I have had some problems lately and havent been able to go gyming and I need a fill and I gained 6 pounds!

My doctor will surely kill me when I see him next but this is a learning experience really.

Good luck! This is a great choice your making :)