Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 4 Pain is this normal

Im on day 4 post op and I woke up in a lot of pain this morning. The pain is where the port is not my incisions. I am thinking its from doing too much yesterday but I honestly didnt think one load of laundry and doing two loads of dishes was too much. I did laugh a lot yesterday which caused discomfort at the time. Has anyone else had this much burn sensasion this many days after surgery after so little? I feel like I went a mile backwards and now im all emotional =(

Yes yes and yes! Its amazing how tired I was after simple task like washing my hair. I am 8 days post op and still have some pain at my port site. My bruising at my port site did not show up till day 4 or 5 so then I began to understand why it was bothering me so bad.

Same, I have a burning sensation in the port area when I move the wrong way. Usually its the worst first thing in the morning. I will say that each morning it gest better. I had surgery on 25th, so I'm 8 days out? 4 days out I was pretty sore in that area. My incisions have never really bothered me, but I can poke at the port and it will burn (I learned early not to do that!).

I had port pain once I started doing things too, even small things like doing the dishes or laughing alot would cause some pain and discomfort. You only being 4 days post-op I'd say it's normal to be feeling pain from doing even minor tasks. 2 or 3 weeks out of surgery I felt fine with some port pain occasionally, but I decided I was well enough to take the garbage out, not a good idea, from lifting, pulling and taking the trash out to the curb I was hurting in my port site for 2 days, it didn't hurt while I was taking it out, but afterwards I sure felt it. My pain was inside too at the port, not so much the incision itself.

If you are having pain try to slow down a little, I know doing dishes isn't terribly physical work but your body is still healing and even little things sometimes can disrupt the healing process. Keep moving of course, like walking around and leaving the house do to errands, but be careful and aware of any, even slight, pulling, lifting, pushing, even holding any excess weight like pots or dishes. You may not realize it but these small movements can effect you, you are using different muscles and you don't even know it. If the pain is unbearable or continues to be really bad I'd talk to your doctor.

I am 7 weeks post-op and I still have occasional port pain when I'm more active than usual. Nothing severe just an occasional light stinging that only lasts a few seconds, maybe minutes and sometimes at night when I'm laying on my stomach I'll feel something, but it's nothing terrible.

Feel better soon!

Thanks everyone that makes me feel normal! I think I will take it easy today and just stick to my walking and resting on the couch...the mess will have to wait for me =/ Unfortunately I do have to drive today to pick up the kiddos, and i need to go to the store for bandages...im just hoping this isnt too much for me to do as well now =(

Yep day 3 and four port site ain was pretty bad for me, doc said ice, not more than 15 min at a time on the port site and keep on the schedule for the pain meds for at least the first week. Do NOT overdo it. Don't carry more than 20 pounds, don't bend over. I have a front load washer and have to get down on my knees to load it and switch clothes, it is EASY to overdo it, just rest and only do the stuff that HAS to be done and that no one can do for you. :) Everything can wait...they wont remember you being a superhero for washing an extra load of laundry and hurting yourself....so take care of YOU!

I felt some sort of pains for 3 or 4 weeks, I wouldn't worry unless it's so excruciatingly bad you can't move.

Thanks everyone that makes me feel normal! I think I will take it easy today and just stick to my walking and resting on the couch...the mess will have to wait for me =/ Unfortunately I do have to drive today to pick up the kiddos, and i need to go to the store for bandages...im just hoping this isnt too much for me to do as well now =(

Hi. 5 weeks out and still feel the port from time to time. I feel it when I bend down low especially. Picking up the kids and going to the store will be fine. I picked up a 20 lb. bag of dog food the other day and thought I would croak. Wasn't ready for that! Good luck.

Everything can wait...they wont remember you being a superhero for washing an extra load of laundry and hurting yourself....so take care of YOU!

So true haha. I had to drive today and realized that wasnt necessarily as easy as one would think gettin in and out of the car. I am due for a pain pill now and i only have two left...after last nights sleep im scared to sleep. Hoping after tomorrow the pain will ease back up like it was yesterday so Tyenol will be enough and I can go back to work on Friday =/ Wish me luck haha

I'm 3 weeks out and I have tremendous pain every time I sneeze. My port is still very tender and burns from time to time. My mantra has always been: Home should be clean enough to be healthy and dirty enough to be happy. It's now: Home should be clean enough to be healthy and dirty enough to remain healthy.