Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Bander seeking info

Hello everyone. I must say I'm thrilled to find this site.

I am currently going through the process to get approved. I'm going for my psych eval and nutrition tomorrow (pending a snow storm that is scheduled) and only have one more month of weigh in's.

What can I expect? Isn't that a broad question? I know that it is surgery and it is going to be a bit painful at first and I'm going to need to adjust to this new lifestyle. From what I'm gathering from lerking on the Post-Op board, it is tougher than I expected. I guess you are hungry at first, until things get adjusted to where you need them to be. I didn't know they put you on a liquid diet pre-op...that was a surprise to me. When can you start exercising again (not that I'm loving that idea but I'll do it). I know that everyone is different and I know the weight loss is different for everyone, but what are your experiences. My problem is that I'm an "instant gratification" person. I'm totally not expecting to see the weight dropping off but is it unrealistic to hope for a pound a week to be gone? My problem always has been, I'm starving myself on diets and going to the gym, and the weight is not coming off...or I lose a little and it stops. I get frustrated when I'm starving and nothing positive is happening. I know this is work and it is a tool, I'm not expecting it to do all the work for me, but I just want to know that there is a light at the end of my tunnel. ANY advise from beginning to end would be appreciated. I also don't really have a goal weight but I have a goal size. I'm not looking to be skinny, I'm looking to be healthy and not have to shop in the chubby chic section anymore. I also think that losing it at a slower pace is more healthy for a person and I'm afraid that I'll look old if I lose it super fast like with gastric. My aunt had gastric done and I didn't even know who she was at my sisters wedding. She looks better now because I think her body has adjusted but I think that gastric ages a person. Anyhow, back to my original thought.....any advice or words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

I think all off us WANTED to loose really quickly but for some/most of us it is'nt super fast. Let me start by saying I don't regret having surgery at all.

Due to other medical concerns I had was 8.5 months from first consult to surgery. Much longer than most! Not all doctors require a liquid diet. I ended up doing my own diet which toward the end was 2 whey isolate Protein shakes with a low cal/fat/carb Protein based lunch. The more you loose now the easier it will be on your surgeon and the lower your end game loss.

I had port area pain after surgery but no pain from the other incisions. My biggest issue post op was actually a reaction I had to surgical tape which gave me welts. Uggg. I was on liquid tylenol only. Post op diet I recommend Stock vs broth. Mrs Dash no salt Flavorings added before heating are great! I bought a personal size blender by Hamilton Beach($15) where the mixing container is a travel mug; so no washing an extra piece. I buy whey isolate Protein powder at Vitamin Shoppe good prices and if you don't like something you can exchange. I also buy Ready to Drink at costco, Premier Brand 160 cal. 30 g Protein.

Greek yoghurt has twice the protein of regular. I buy chobani fat free with fruit but have to add splendra because it's sour. Post surgery I mixed it with a stick blender adding Tablespoon of milk to thin it out. Post surgery follow your doctors orders to the letter. Post op diets ARE for a reason. Go on YouTube and watch a surgery (no blood so not gross at all). You will see how the surgeon attaches the band by sewing parts of your stomach above the band to parts below the band. Many people post they are hungry so they moved to solids at one week. Unless your doctor approves it don't do that! You don't want your stomach churning while the stiches are fresh!

I had been exercising presurgery. Four days after surgery I went back to the gym but only did the treadmill; started out reallyyyy slow for 30 minutes and worked my way up (no incline). At two weeks I went back to lap swimming (1 hr, daily) freestyle no breaststroke or butterfly (Highly recommend swimming, love having a Water proof MP3 player). I did go on walks after surgery to get the gas moving and to prevent bloodclots.

After swelling goes down and before fills your body will be just like it was before surgery. This will be a diet; both in serving sizes and food choices. I am 6 months out have had I think 8 fills and hopefully am now at restriction. Some people get restrction sooner than I did; lucky them.

Some people loose faster than others. Very frustrating. Averaged out over six months I have lost about 1 pound a week. This means some weeks I've lost nothing. I exercise daily and follow what I would call a pretty strick diet 90% of the time. I wish people would'nt post how "weight is falling off" because many people don't experience that; and I think it creates false expectations.

I totally understand getting frustrated when you feel your working hard on a diet and the scale is not moving. If you have clothes in your closet that don't fit I would try them on occationlly to check your progress. There have been times the scale is not moving but I am loosing size.

I think all off us WANTED to loose really quickly but for some/most of us it is'nt super fast. Let me start by saying I don't regret having surgery at all.

Due to other medical concerns I had was 8.5 months from first consult to surgery. Much longer than most! Not all doctors require a liquid diet. I ended up doing my own diet which toward the end was 2 whey isolate Protein shakes with a low cal/fat/carb Protein based lunch. The more you loose now the easier it will be on your surgeon and the lower your end game loss.

I had port area pain after surgery but no pain from the other incisions. My biggest issue post op was actually a reaction I had to surgical tape which gave me welts. Uggg. I was on liquid tylenol only. Post op diet I recommend Stock vs broth. Mrs Dash no salt Flavorings added before heating are great! I bought a personal size blender by Hamilton Beach($15) where the mixing container is a travel mug; so no washing an extra piece. I buy whey isolate Protein Powder at Vitamin Shoppe good prices and if you don't like something you can exchange. I also buy Ready to Drink at costco, Premier Brand 160 cal. 30 g Protein.

Greek yoghurt has twice the protein of regular. I buy chobani fat free with fruit but have to add splendra because it's sour. Post surgery I mixed it with a stick blender adding Tablespoon of milk to thin it out. Post surgery follow your doctors orders to the letter. Post op diets ARE for a reason. Go on YouTube and watch a surgery (no blood so not gross at all). You will see how the surgeon attaches the band by sewing parts of your stomach above the band to parts below the band. Many people post they are hungry so they moved to solids at one week. Unless your doctor approves it don't do that! You don't want your stomach churning while the stiches are fresh!

I had been exercising presurgery. Four days after surgery I went back to the gym but only did the treadmill; started out reallyyyy slow for 30 minutes and worked my way up (no incline). At two weeks I went back to lap swimming (1 hr, daily) freestyle no breaststroke or butterfly (Highly recommend swimming, love having a Water proof MP3 player). I did go on walks after surgery to get the gas moving and to prevent bloodclots.

After swelling goes down and before fills your body will be just like it was before surgery. This will be a diet; both in serving sizes and food choices. I am 6 months out have had I think 8 fills and hopefully am now at restriction. Some people get restrction sooner than I did; lucky them.

Some people loose faster than others. Very frustrating. Averaged out over six months I have lost about 1 pound a week. This means some weeks I've lost nothing. I exercise daily and follow what I would call a pretty strick diet 90% of the time. I wish people would'nt post how "weight is falling off" because many people don't experience that; and I think it creates false expectations.

I totally understand getting frustrated when you feel your working hard on a diet and the scale is not moving. If you have clothes in your closet that don't fit I would try them on occationlly to check your progress. There have been times the scale is not moving but I am loosing size.

THANK YOU! Very informative and very helpful ... and honest.

Hi, I have been banded for five weeks now and am expecting my first fill next week. I have yet to regret being banded and yes it has required some adoption, but nothing that I have not been able to handle. I like to keep things pretty simple and every sugeon does things a bit differently pre-surgery and post-surgery as far as diet goes. Follow whatever your doctor recommends because it is his proceedure. My pre-surgery diet was two weeks of a low-carb/no-carb diet. Post-op, the first week was liquids, but nothing thinker than what could go through a straw. Weeks two-four was working through "mushies" to solids while finishing healing and learning to live with the band. Yes, I have lost weight during this time, and should expect to lose 2-3 pounds per week. I am just starting to add exercise, I have some restrictions due to other issues that I am working around that losing weight will hopefully help.

Wish you well!

Hi! :)

I was banded Jan 5th and am feeling really good right now. I had a 2 week diet before hand that was 2 meditrim shakes and 1 meditrim bar per day plus up to 2 cups of vegetables (certain ones were vetoed) and that was over Christmas! Very hard when eating with family, especially since I haven't told anyone but my husband and my dad about the surgery. I think I lost about 15-20lbs in the pre surgery phase. I know that some people at my clinic have to do the pre-diet for 3 weeks, glad I wasn't one of them. Anyway, the surgery went well but I was slower to recover than I expected. Glad my husband was home to help with the toddler for 4 days. Even when he went back it was tough for another day or two. I did not feel any hunger at all for about 8 days...I think that's how long it took for my stomach swelling to go down. My nutritionist told me that it is common for people to not lose in the first 6 weeks before first fill. She said that some even gain! I refuse to be one that gains and I did not even want to stay put so I am doing a food journal and keeping my calories below 1200 and I am continuing to lose. The post op diets seem to be quite different depending on your surgeon...I would just follow the doc's orders. For activity, it's good to get up and about right away but I didn't actually start exercising until almost 3 weeks post surgery. I was nervous about doing something to jeopardize my band. But I've been exercising for a full week now and am feeling very strong and continuing to lose. My first fill is on the 8th (which is at 5 weeks I think, rather than 6) and I'm looking forward to my willpower having some assistance. The first few days were tough but I am in a really good place now, clothes fitting great if not loose, getting fitter everyday with the exercise and not regretting anything. I'm a bit nervous about that fill but I think that's normal. Take care! Let us know what you decide.