Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newly Banded. Any regrets?

I must admit after recovering from my surgery 1/27, I started questioning my decision. Why am I doing this to myself? I kept asking myself. Does anyone else feel regrets about this surgery? The pain, the restrictions....is it really worth it?

I absolutely felt like that. I'm only 4 weeks out, but it does get better. I still have my bad days, and I'm sure we all do, but once the weight starts to come off and you get into a new routine, you will feel better. Good luck and hang in there! :)

I must admit after recovering from my surgery 1/27, I started questioning my decision. Why am I doing this to myself? I kept asking myself. Does anyone else feel regrets about this surgery? The pain, the restrictions....is it really worth it?

Hi! I was also banded on 1/27. I was so glad to read your question because I've also had some doubts . . . I'm having some pain - nothing unbearable - but mostly I'm feeling challenged by the liquids-only phase that I'm in, and anxious that I may have made a mistake. I'd love to hear more about your experiences as we both continue. This forum does look like a good place to get answers. Good luck to us both!!!

i was also banded on the 27th..i am feeling the same way, but i went for it...i am regretting that i did it now, i have to be on Clear liquids for a week then full liquids for another week. with the liver shrinking diet and a few days after surgery i lost around 35lbs, and that know one in there right mind can say that's healthy....i really don't know how i can survive on 3= 4oz meals a day...and these were questions i ask the doctor or nurse and not 1 reasonable answer!!!

thanks cliff.

I'd say I felt like that basically the day of surgery. Especially when I first woke up before they gave me pain meds, which was only like a minute. I am still waiting to see good weight loss, but I don't regret it. I am eating a lot less and feel satisfied with the small amounts I'm eating

I'd say I felt like that basically the day of surgery. Especially when I first woke up before they gave me pain meds, which was only like a minute. I am still waiting to see good weight loss, but I don't regret it. I am eating a lot less and feel satisfied with the small amounts I'm eating

My surgery was 12/15/10 and I have not regretted it one bit. I'm disappointed I haven't lost more - I'm down 25 pounds. Without the surgery, I would be not be down any pounds at all. I'm eating less and exercising 5-6 times a week and feel good about that. Though the weight is slow now - I'm glad I made the decision to have the surgery.

I can't speak for everyone, but for me. So far, I really enjoy it. Nothing gets stuck, I'm losing weight. I'm not hungry. It's only been about 2 months, but I feel great. I feel like I NEED to do this, I can't be overweight the rest of my life!!

The first few weeks are hard but once you are on regular food it feels much more normal :)

i was also banded on the 27th..i am feeling the same way, but i went for it...i am regretting that i did it now, i have to be on Clear Liquids for a week then full liquids for another week. with the liver shrinking diet and a few days after surgery i lost around 35lbs, and that know one in there right mind can say that's healthy....i really don't know how i can survive on 3= 4oz meals a day...and these were questions i ask the doctor or nurse and not 1 reasonable answer!!!

thanks cliff.

You eat more than that. You get about a 1 1-1/2 food per meal in the long run. I don't feel deprived at all. It sounds way worse than it actually is. I thought I'd be eating 1/4 cup of tuna for my meals for ever, but thats just not the case. I feel very normal. I eat normal food, I can eat at a restaurant, I just eat slower, i eat less, and watch what goes in.

I never regretted it, but I had my doubts. I had surgery 1/25 and I'm still kindof like.......wow. There's a foreign object in my body now. It's kinda surreal.

I can't say I really regretted it, although for the first week it is hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel around the liquids-only issue. Believe me, I struggled with it as well. But if I knew then what I know now (and I am only 5 weeks out!), these next 2 weeks for you should go by fast and you can start feeling more sure of yourself.

However, there are very good reasons for small portions and the 2 week liquids, then soft foods - if your doctor can't answer your question, you have a big problem, I am afraid. Any research here or online or at the library should be able to explain the fundamental reasons for the limited diet. If you are afraid of how you will react to the small meal sizes in the long-term, I can see how you are feeling some mixed feelings. Remenber, you did this for a reason and I am sure you made this choice based on your goals and the (hopefully) good information you had!

Hi there,

I was banded 1/19 and have had no regrets at all. I have felt good and have been losing weight. The food or lack of at times gets boring, but food not having control feels great!

I am feeling unsure how this will work. Will I find restriction soon, will I have good weightloss. etc.

Luckily for all of us though we get to do this together. Good luck and I hope you find great success.

I was banded on Januray 24 and I posted something very similiar to you. About 2 days post-op I was feeling the blues like crazy. Why did I do something so drastic?? Will today and 6 days post-op I am starting to adjust to my banded life. Will it be easy NO not at all but this site brings so much information and support it has helped me feel better about my decision. I am already 20 lbs down and am looking forward to a more healthier future.

I was banded on 1/25 and I felt like this only because I was dry heaving, couldn't hold anything down and had to go back to the hospital for another night. Now that I am out and on the mend and getting used to the diet and ready to go into the next phase in a few days....I am mostly glad that I did this and look forward to this chapter in my life.

I don't regret my decision at all! Yes, it is hard when you are on the liquid diet...between the 2 week pre-op diet and the 2 week post-op I thought I would lose my mind. I can also say that when you hear people talk about only eating 3-4 oz meals a day it sounds like so little food that you can't possibly do it...I eat around 4 oz Protein and 1/2 cup veggies at each meal and I am satisfied.

The only thing I will warn you about is not to think of this as you get the band and POOF! all of a sudden you have no appetite and the weight just starts melting off of you. It doesn't work that way...you will be hungry from time to time. Don't think that the way to do this is to eat until the band makes you throw up...if you eat that much you are over-eating. It takes some time for most people to acheive enough restriction. The biggest thing is be patient! You didn't gain this weight overnight and it won't come off overnight either...

Good luck to you!