Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need someone to talk to!

So Ive been approved and all. My surgery date is set for February 11th. But for some reason, since Ive got my date, my nerves are going crazy and my anxiety levels are rising! Im ready for the change but I cant help but to be nervous as hell! It's not like Im scared of surgery because Ive had several surgeries before. Is it something everyone goes through before they actually have the surgery?

The closer I got to surgery, the more nervous I became. And surgery doen't usually scare me. So I think what you're experiencing is normal. You're not just having a surgery, after all. You're changing the way you think about and eat food...for life. You're also indirectly going to change the way you look and feel, and the way people see you. All for the better, right? For me, it was very important to continually focus on what I really wanted out of this in the long run, because the short term effects are pretty unpleasant. Don't go in thinking it will be easy at first, either, because it probably won't be. I made that mistake. The best thing is to have someone supportive of your surgery decision there with you. Someone to push you forward when you want to turn back. Whether it's this site, a spouse, or a close friend, having someone on your side really helps.

Best wishes!

I wasn't scared about the procedure itself. I am and was more scared that I am going to fail and not be able to embrace this new lifestyle. I am still afraid I won't loose weight, but I am so happy I got this tool to help me.

I guess you ladies are right! I just have to keep thinking about the long term goals! A friend of mine suggested that maybe it's due to knowing Im going to have a lifetime change. Knowing that I'll never see food in the same way again. Im really not sure! Im just really nervous! And I cant really explain why! It's so frustrating!

I guess you ladies are right! I just have to keep thinking about the long term goals! A friend of mine suggested that maybe it's due to knowing Im going to have a lifetime change. Knowing that I'll never see food in the same way again. Im really not sure! Im just really nervous! And I cant really explain why! It's so frustrating!

You are so normal! I felt selfish for doing something that could leave my kids without a mom just to lose weight. I also felt that I was getting myself into something that was really going to change my life and that was unknown and lets face it unknown is scary. I also thought that I should have been able to lose weight and keep it off without such a drastic measure. I also felt bad that it was going to cost so much and honestly wondered if I was worth it I also thought about how let down I would be and how devistating it would be to fail on again another attempt to lose weight.

I looked at the stats of people who die from this and why. I found out that my Doctor had 1 patient out of 15,000 die after this surgery and it was a result of an undiagnosed heart condition. That was enough comfort for me. I also thought that I did not want to keep living with the known...it sucked and I was ready for the new scared or not. I read all of these awesome success stories and thought "that could be me, I am doing this". I also came to accept the fact that yes I am worth the money this costs and yes it is a drastic measure but I had tried everything but this and this has proven more success than all of the other "results not typical" diets and plans I had previously done.

I felt the same way you did and felt that way until had the surgery. It went well and I recovered fine and it was good. I experienced one of my fears; the scale was slow and sometimes not moving at all and it took me 6 months to reach a good restriction in my band and to figure out low thyroid level was keeping the scale still and now that I have that fixed the weight is coming off at about 3 lbs a week YES! it is wonderful I love it and I am so glad I had this done. It has not been easy I have had some struggles and frustration but this is so exciting and I am thrilled that I did it, and I have not even lost a monumental amount of weight. I want to encourage you and tell you that the good far out weights the bad and no it is not an easy fix but it is an effective fix. It is so great to say goodbye to those pounds and know that they will stay gone.

I hope I did not add worries to your mind but I just wanted to share my experience. Good luck and get ready for a skinny you!

You are so normal! I felt selfish for doing something that could leave my kids without a mom just to lose weight. I also felt that I was getting myself into something that was really going to change my life and that was unknown and lets face it unknown is scary. I also thought that I should have been able to lose weight and keep it off without such a drastic measure. I also felt bad that it was going to cost so much and honestly wondered if I was worth it I also thought about how let down I would be and how devistating it would be to fail on again another attempt to lose weight.

I looked at the stats of people who die from this and why. I found out that my Doctor had 1 patient out of 15,000 die after this surgery and it was a result of an undiagnosed heart condition. That was enough comfort for me. I also thought that I did not want to keep living with the known...it sucked and I was ready for the new scared or not. I read all of these awesome success stories and thought "that could be me, I am doing this". I also came to accept the fact that yes I am worth the money this costs and yes it is a drastic measure but I had tried everything but this and this has proven more success than all of the other "results not typical" diets and plans I had previously done.

I felt the same way you did and felt that way until had the surgery. It went well and I recovered fine and it was good. I experienced one of my fears; the scale was slow and sometimes not moving at all and it took me 6 months to reach a good restriction in my band and to figure out low thyroid level was keeping the scale still and now that I have that fixed the weight is coming off at about 3 lbs a week YES! it is wonderful I love it and I am so glad I had this done. It has not been easy I have had some struggles and frustration but this is so exciting and I am thrilled that I did it, and I have not even lost a monumental amount of weight. I want to encourage you and tell you that the good far out weights the bad and no it is not an easy fix but it is an effective fix. It is so great to say goodbye to those pounds and know that they will stay gone.

I hope I did not add worries to your mind but I just wanted to share my experience. Good luck and get ready for a skinny you!

I completely identified with your first paragraph and felt your proceeding paragraphs were full of great insight. Thank you for taking the time to post.

I think its totally normal to be nervous! I was a nervous wreck but I kept telling myself its all going to be well worth it in the end!

I think its totally normal to be nervous! I was a nervous wreck but I kept telling myself its all going to be well worth it in the end!

It has to be normal to go through such a life changing proceedure. Our lives will never be the same again...but hopefully the change is for the better. For me, I will need to change the way I use food and the way I eat it...it's going to be very hard but I know I can do it...and so can you. :D :D :D

Take it slow. Don't try to be "perfect" all at once. I think this type of change requires practice. We will also have slip ups but hopefully there will be lots of success too!

Relax and don't put too much pressure on yourself...we can do this if we just take it one day at a time or even one meal at a time. :rolleyes:

Peace!

Ally

I'll be here, and I can be your friend if you want. I really need somebody to talk to also. I am very concerned. Maybe you can send me a message and we can be buddies :)

my date is 2/23/11 and i am nervous too. Prolly cuz is a life altering situation for us.

so far i have not chatted with ONE PERSON who regrets it so that gives me hope!

So Ive been approved and all. My surgery date is set for February 11th. But for some reason, since Ive got my date, my nerves are going crazy and my anxiety levels are rising! Im ready for the change but I cant help but to be nervous as hell! It's not like Im scared of surgery because Ive had several surgeries before. Is it something everyone goes through before they actually have the surgery?

me three!!!

I'll be here, and I can be your friend if you want. I really need somebody to talk to also. I am very concerned. Maybe you can send me a message and we can be buddies :)

Hi everyone! Thanks for all the posts! For those who asked me to send them a message, I did! I just cant help but to feel nervous and to think about the surgery all the time! I start my 10 day pre op diet tomorrow which for me, consists of my Protein Shake 5 times a day and the rest of the day is liquids! My doctor told me that if I must have something, I can have a small salad with low carb dressing as my last meal of the day. Im nervous!

My doctor wanted me to use Optifast but it's so expensive so Im thinking of using the No Sugar Added Carnation Instant Breakfast! Has anyone tried it before and actually liked it?