Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how much weight did u gain during surgery?

I was at the hospital for28 hours, hooked up to the iv the whole time.

I gained 15 pounds! Will it all go away?

I didn't gain much and during that time and I generally I stayed off the scale. It'll drop off; give it some time. In the meanwhile, put the scale away maybe?

Mine was only an outpatient procedure, so I wasn't there long and I gained nothing. Not sure exactly how much fluids I received while I was there. But I have readf that that happens to people. It seems that it will go away in a few days. It is just Fluid retention of the fluids that you were on.

I gained nothing BUT I was in the bathroom alllllllll night. Both the night in the hospital and my first night home. So six of one half dozen of thhe other! FYI I bought Protein Shots, clear liquid 3 oz for like 30 g Protein. Went through me like a blow torch so I wouldn't really recommend them.

I didn't gain any... I didn't lose any the week or two after though.

That's a lot of weight to gain. You sure the doctor didn't leave something in you?? J/K...:)

I hope he left a band in me!!! lol

That's a lot of weight to gain. You sure the doctor didn't leave something in you?? J/K...:)

I hope he left a band in me!!! lol

LOL funny :) :) You will be fine. The weight will start melting off.

Hi, that is bizarre to put on weight in hospital with the surgery?? I had my surgery in Aug 2009, I was in & out in 24hrs no complications, the Dr never even mentioned anything about that kind of issue.

The only weight gain they ever talked about is the one I've seen all around me with people who have had lap band surgery, myself included, 2 colleagues at work, 2 aquaintences, and just heaps of people I know from these forums, is that people pack back on the weight because they often just saw lap banding as a quick and easy fix to their weight problem, and made NO LIFESTYLE changes, no real attempts to stop packing in the calories via the easily digestible foods like, lollies, chips, chocolates, biscuits, ice cream, donuts, etc etc and low and behold most are even fatter than before the surgery. Luckily I only regained 2kgs (4.4) pounds) of the total 5kgs (11pounds) lost over 18mnths. Totally pathetic effort on my part! Not sure if it helps either but my starting weight was 93kgs (204 pounds). However, the other people I've observed sadly have packed on amounts like 30-60kgks or 66pounds-132pounds.

For me, I started to get annoyed and frustrated as the band fills caused greater restriction, which of course its meant to. However, for me it meant I started to feel a bit deprived not so much hungry/deprived at meal times, but more psychologically deprived of food. Not sure if that makes sense, but obviously food brings us a lot of enjoyment and it was annoying and a bit depressing to feel I could only have such a small amount compared to what I was used to. Before long I relalize now, that I started to replace my meals with these easily digestible "treat foods" to compensate for not being able much. So after 18mths and an expensive $AU 13,000 op I had gotten absolutely nowhere! My treating psychiatrist whom I have seen for 10yrs for much different reasons is a lovely Dr, and she was fairly sceptical of the surgery, in fact I was her 1st pt ever to have the surgery and she is 60 yrs old. She has since said she would like to know the true statistics of lap banding and true long term statistics and patient outcomes as she too often sees these patients just get around the lap band with relapsing into poor eating habits with easily digestible junk food, and also the fact that it doesn't seem to take long for the band to seem to stretch and it seems you can eat as much if not more than before anyhow. In that regard, I was almost thinking why even keep this foreign body inside me after 2yrs and only 3kgs of weight lost and maintained off, god knows what affect it has on our bodies in the long run, however, the one positive for me is that it does have some restriction still, which does help with things like the fact that before the surgery I would easily eat a loaf of bread in one sitting, and now I can only eat 2 pieces of bread at a time, and that is comfortable, and that has helped to modify one ridiculous bad unhealthy habit.

I have recently lost 2kgs on my own and have started to really return to some healthy eating habits that I am hoping to maintain, just the basic lean meat, vegetables, fruits, appropriate calories, Protein, fat, carbs, etc and portions for my height and weight, and regular exercise. There has been a documentary in Australia called Fat & Fatter where they send young UK people to the 4 fattest nations in the world the US, Greece, South America, and Kuwait, the Uk people are about 20stone, then the "Fatter people" are about 30+ stone. It is v graphic, they show the 30+ plus people dying literally feet first, kidneys first etc from type 2 diabtes etc etc it has scared the shit out of me. It scares the shit out of the UK people too. Some go back and get healthy some don't I know it sounds awful, but that was the kind of wake up call that I needed. I'm 14 stone, and I fetl that I was barrelling towards type 2 diabtes. This show has been more motivating and helpful and the lapband.

However, if I hadn't tried the lapband I would never have learned that at the end of the day I had to face the fact that I was a bit in denial, and that i would have to do the work, make the choices every time i put something in my mouth, do I want these extra calories, or do I want to try and stick to the healthy eating plan and the goal of a healthy weight and lookin after myself for a healthy weight now and in the future.

Blah..... Sorry this is so long I do wish you luck with yr journey.

I gained 3 lbs with an over night stay. It was just the good ole body retaining the fluids that went into my IV and what I was drinking my body didn't get rid of the fluids however, by the end of the first week after surgery I had dropped that weight and more.

I think I gained about 10 pounds (maybe slightly less), but it was from the IV fluids and I lost it in 3 days or so. I stayed overnight in the hospital.

Good to hear.

I've lost 7 of them so far.

I gained 7 pounds in the hospital. Lost that within 2 days and went to lose another 10 in week one!! Crazy. But I'll take it

Weird...I stayed overnight as well and had about 5 bags of saline and don't believe I gained anything...however, I WAS pretty dehydrated before I got to the hospital and was in and out of the bathroom for days. Maybe it was saline combined with swelling that was causing the weight gain from all the extra fluids?