Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Acanthosis nigricans (darkening of neck or underarms ect.)

I have suffered from Acanthosis nigricans since the age of 11. I was made fun of continuously because most people don't know it's a condition related to being overweight or having diabetes. Most people think it's from poor hygiene like not cleaning your neck well. I scrubbed my neck so hard with alcohol and soap so much growing up I made it rough which makes it look worse. Anyways, my question is I noticed that with the 80 pound weight loss it's better but still there. Is there anyone out there that has lost all of their weight and it cleared up significantly?

I was wondering this also. The dermatologist gave me some cream for it (that I never used) but he said until I lost weight or got my hormones back into balance it would be there. I really hope it goes away. I always just tell people it is from my necklace :embaressed_smile:.

Thanks for the reply. The creams and ointments doesn't work. I have tried plenty of them. I will see what it looks like when I get closer to my goal weight. Then maybe some skin lightner will work then.

I was wondering this also. The dermatologist gave me some cream for it (that I never used) but he said until I lost weight or got my hormones back into balance it would be there. I really hope it goes away. I always just tell people it is from my necklace :embaressed_smile:.

I have it and avoid ponytails/updoos because of it :-( I'm not banded yet and want to lose 140-150 pounds, so will let you know. I'm really fair, so mine truly does look "dirty". I also have it under my arms, inner thighs, but most people never see those parts of me ha ha

Not sure if this is related at all, but do any of you get little skin tags on your neck? The older and bigger I;ve gotten, I keep growing these little tiny skin tages that are driving me nuts. My guess is it's hormonal?

Yes mam! I have skin tags everywhere! On my neck, on the side of my stomach and underarms! I think it's related.:unsure:

I have it and avoid ponytails/updoos because of it :-( I'm not banded yet and want to lose 140-150 pounds, so will let you know. I'm really fair, so mine truly does look "dirty". I also have it under my arms, inner thighs, but most people never see those parts of me ha ha

Not sure if this is related at all, but do any of you get little skin tags on your neck? The older and bigger I;ve gotten, I keep growing these little tiny skin tages that are driving me nuts. My guess is it's hormonal?

Yes mam! I have skin tags everywhere! On my neck, on the side of my stomach and underarms! I think it's related.:unsure:

I have them under my arms too (pits)

You can pick at skin tags and they go away... I hate them

Skin Tags are largely due to hormones. You can snip tge smaller ones...that's what a derm would do. The larger ones you can take a thin piece of string and tie it around the base of the skin tag. Snip the excess string so you can't see it. This wil cut the blood supply to the tag and it will die and fall off.

You can pick at skin tags and they go away... I hate them

Skin Tags are largely due to hormones. You can snip tge smaller ones...that's what a derm would do. The larger ones you can take a thin piece of string and tie it around the base of the skin tag. Snip the excess string so you can't see it. This wil cut the blood supply to the tag and it will die and fall off.

sounds like you all have PCOS - Polycystic Ovary Syndrome - look it up! Darkening skin on neck, etc. Skin Tags, weight gain/hard to lose, pre-diabetes or diabetes. etc. It's hormonal and gets worse with weight gain. Weight loss is one great way to diminish symptoms.

I haven't even thought to look since my weight loss until I saw this thread. Mine has gone away--around my highest weight it was worst around my neck, but there are no traces of it now that I can see. I recently had labwork done, and all seems to be normal except my thyroid is off again--am getting a boost on my meds again. All other hormone levels are within normal limits, and I'm not even taking Metformin anymore.

That is good to hear! I am getting excited! I am going to be patient until I lose over 100lbs like you and see what happens. I am getting teary eyed thinking of this clearing up! It really makes me feel so ashamed in public. I got hope now! People really don't understand how this has made me feel over the years. I avoid all V-cut or low-cut shirts. I remember as a teenager wearing turtle necks and it was hot outside! OMG!

I haven't even thought to look since my weight loss until I saw this thread. Mine has gone away--around my highest weight it was worst around my neck, but there are no traces of it now that I can see. I recently had labwork done, and all seems to be normal except my thyroid is off again--am getting a boost on my meds again. All other hormone levels are within normal limits, and I'm not even taking Metformin anymore.

I was told by my GYN before I had my band put on most likely I had PCOS because of my lack of weight loss and all of the other symptoms you named plus I would go over a year without a period and then turn around and have one for 3 months or more! :blink:

Oh, I forgot about the severe cravings for Carbs only!

sounds like you all have PCOS - Polycystic Ovary Syndrome - look it up! Darkening skin on neck, etc. Skin Tags, weight gain/hard to lose, pre-diabetes or diabetes. etc. It's hormonal and gets worse with weight gain. Weight loss is one great way to diminish symptoms.

I was diagnosed with PCOS at 13. Had an ovarian tumor removed at 14, (it was the size of a softball). I am a extreme and rare case because I was so young when it was diagnosed. The Doctors thought the tumor was cancerous, I was sent to the UCLA Norris Cancer Hospital in L.A. for the surgery. They had no idea it was PCOS. I was only 220 lbs. when I had this surgery, I am just about 6 feet tall so my BMI was relatively low. My symptoms include skin tags (on my neck, under my arms, under my breasts, on my stomach and one on my leg), skin darkening, severe acne, and face/body Hair growth, inability to lose weight, extreme irregular periods. I still don't get a period if I stop taking my birth control pills, which I did for the lap-band surgery. Dealing with facial hair, acne and skin tags was rough through high school but i never had the skin darkening until college where I grew to the 280 lbs range. I was banded on December 7th 2010 and have gone from 313 to 288 lbs. I use a foot scrubbie (the kind with soap in it) for under my arms and where my thighs rub together in the shower every day because of the darkening. I don't scrub REALLY hard just hard enough to stand it. I also use aveeno body lotion after the shower every day. I have always done this because if I don't my skin becomes VERY rough. I have notice a difference in color (it is much lighter) and it seems smoother as well. I do take 300 mg spironaldactone every night, for hair growth and have been looking into laser treatments for my facial hair. I was wondering if the treatment results lasts a lifetime or do the hair follicles grow back eventually? Please if anybody is concerned or has any questions for me let me know. PCOS can lead to ovarian tumors if not treated. I have been dealing with this for over 13 years. I have been on Metaformin, and spironaldactone, for a very long time and can not wait to get off of it. Has anyone been able to loose enough weight to get off all of their PCOS meds? Thanks, K.