Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well bust my bubble !!!

I was so excited yesterday, I had my first visit with my surgeon to discuss the lapband. He is a very good surgeon and I have 3 friends that have used him in the past 2 years. I have a low BMI. After he was in the room about 2 minutes he said well how much weight do you want to lose. ok, 50#, he said well I don't think you will lose that, maybe 30. I could feel the pitch coming on about the gastric sleeve surgery. He said that 1 in 5 of his patients don't lose the weight, so 20 % failure. I looked at it as 80% success. I could lose 60 pounds and still not be at the bottom of the scale on my ideal weight. I was hoping for him to get me excited and cheer me on but instead I cried after I left his office. He told me to come back in a few weeks after I have thought about my options. Now I wish I would have stood up to him and insisted on the band. I need to find out if I will have his 100% encouragement when I tell him I want the band. I know people who have had the gastric bypass and sleeve and gained weight back so I think with each surgery there are failures but the band can be adjusted and that is what I like. Was hoping to be so happy today and ready to get on with this and now I just feel heavy and depressed. :(

good day to you,

I am sooo sorry to hear that. I was scared of the whole thing but I did my research and I new that the Lap Band was what I wanted and so I stuck to my guns... I will be geting this done in March..... Don't let him stop you.... if not him try someone else or talk to him like he isn't above you but your equal and make him undersrand why you went with the Band and not the others... That is what I did.... My Dr looked at me and said wow you did your research and said ok... she wasn't sure to start out but I made her see that this was what I needed and if she wouldn't then I would find someone that would..... Goood Luck and Don't feel bad there is always an Ass with a hole... but there is only one beautiful you!!!!:rolleyes:

See a different doctor!! Your doctor shouldnt make you cry!

I agree with Lady Jenna. If this is something that you think works best for you, then stick with it. Explain it to your doctor and if he still does not see eye to eye with you then you need to find another doctor. Don't let this experience get you down. If anything, gain knowledge and strength from it and keep going forward. Good luck to you. Keep us posted!

I think you should change your sign-on to "WiseAboutMe" because I think your post so shows this. If you haven't, stop beating up yourself for not speaking up to your MD. We all have our times too.

Only if comfortable to you, a suggested dialogue for your next visit could be the essence of your own words above with a little reframing: "Dr., I am interested in pursuing the lapband option. I value that you are a very good surgeon and I understood the other options you discussed, however I have decided on the lap band. I know you favor the others procedures, however our last visit disappointed and depressed me to the point of tears. So I believe you can understand my need to now know that you support and respect my choices before moving forward together on something so important to my life."

To thy own self be true...best for your next appointment!

Great advice shinewrite!!