Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have been seeing in the post about slider foods....I think I get which ones they are, but if I chew the dickens out of my chicken, how does it stay in there longer than say, mash potatoes? I know Protein takes longer to digest, but I thought digestion still took place in the big stomach. Am I missing something?

I have been seeing in the post about slider foods....I think I get which ones they are, but if I chew the dickens out of my chicken, how does it stay in there longer than say, mash potatoes? I know Protein takes longer to digest, but I thought digestion still took place in the big stomach. Am I missing something?

I have always understood sliders to be food that tends to slip through easier... and it seems that everyone has different sliders. Crackers, chips, even Nachos and most Pasta seem to pass through quickly for me. But I had some yogurt yesterday and couldn't have more that 1/4 of a cup.

I think much of it depends on the person and how tight their band is in most cases. For me, no matter how much I chew and no matter how tight my band is, some things are off my food list. I can try to chew the heck out of things like steak, porkchops, bread and Pasta, but after I swallow them I'm in pain.

Not all sliders are bad in my book. Yogurt, Protein shakes, Soup, oatmeal .... all slide through, but these are things I eat all the time. Icecream is a slider I have to be mindful of.

I think much of it depends on the person and how tight their band is in most cases. For me, no matter how much I chew and no matter how tight my band is, some things are off my food list. I can try to chew the heck out of things like steak, porkchops, bread and Pasta, but after I swallow them I'm in pain.

Not all sliders are bad in my book. Yogurt, Protein shakes, Soup, oatmeal .... all slide through, but these are things I eat all the time. Icecream is a slider I have to be mindful of.

Yogurt was a slider for me, until I had a fill a few days ago. Hard breads like crakers, crouton... right on through. Your right, not all sliders are bad and I don't the few crackers I eat a day as being bad..... that said however once I figured crackers slid on thru, I figured out chips would too. So I really have to tell myself no sometimes. Steak hasn't bothered me yet, however chicken I have to be careful with.

My doctor discourages chewing food to mush. He said the food should be the size of a pencil eraser. If the food gets stuck at that size, then he suggested smaller bites...the amount you'd feed to a toddler.

I am pretty new at this and all the terminology. What exactly do sliders do? Do they slide through the small pouch and not make you full?

Sliders do vary. Slider foods are anything that I do not have to chew to get down. Mash potatoes slide, but a French fry chewed to mush does not slide even though it is almost the same consistency.

My doctor discourages chewing food to mush. He said the food should be the size of a pencil eraser. If the food gets stuck at that size, then he suggested smaller bites...the amount you'd feed to a toddler.

So I have seen both-that the bite you take should be the size of a pencil eraser and the food should be the size of a pencil eraser. Do you mean when I swallow it that it should be the size of an eraser?

I was told to take bites the size of a pencil eraser and to chew that bite 20-30 times...

So I have seen both-that the bite you take should be the size of a pencil eraser and the food should be the size of a pencil eraser. Do you mean when I swallow it that it should be the size of an eraser?

Charmin,

Yes, my doc said the food I swallow should be no bigger than a pencil eraser. I think it's probably smaller than that but I definitely don't chew to mush. I do take much smaller bites of things like chicken and steak because their fibrous nature makes it difficult to go down even when chewed to mush.

As we've discussed here before, every doctor seems to have his/her own twist on what should and shouldn't be eaten.

My NUT says any bite should be no larger than a dime, but then it should be chewed about 20-30 times to decrease it to its smallest possible size, and least consistency.

Now I don't follow that religiously, but find if I take a smallish bite of something dense and chew the dickens out of it, just about everything goes down easily. The only thing that I've ever had come close to getting stuck was a piece of steak. I was surprised it would give me issues, because I was so careful. chicken, pork chops, and shredded meats have been no problem at all, but so far I've only tried that one bite of steak.

Everyone seems to have a different experience with this, and definitely a separate journey.

Dave