Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Was anyone bulimic before lapband?

I don't think it would treat bulimia; it would actually probably make it even more dangerous because now you could damage your stomach from the band. It's not solving the base problem which is the binging; you'd just be throwing up sooner from less food. There's actually a member on this site who was on the E! show about people with eating disorders who would eat until she made herself sick. Can't remember her name offhand (I'm sure someone else here does) but she might be a good person to speak to.

Not only will it not treat bulimia, but most surgeons won't even do a band on a bulimic since there is a very high risk of band slippage, erosion, etc. The band will not stop the bulemic from bingeing...which means the purging they do afterwards will continue...and the continual stress they put on the band area creates a greater risk of problems.

Okay, odd observation regarding that and sorry for the graphic details here.

Twice now in the past week, I've ended up coughing so hard I'm running to the bathroom to puke. The weird thing is, even though I had just eaten, it seems the band prevented food coming back up. Since this has happened twice now I am certain something's going on there due to the band. Point is, if anything, the band seems to keep the food down! I wonder if I had eaten "too much" if something would have come up! And hopefully I did not tear the band away or cause slippage. Will find out when I see doc.

Just to push the issue a little bit--what if one has a problem with binge eating and then feeling so full and feeling bad about themselves and so they throw up. Wouldn't the band restrict how much the person could binge? And knowing that throwing up is very, very dangerous with the band, might it prevent them from purging.

I seem to remember seeing someone's lapband blog saying that it cured her bulimia.

Thanks!

All I know if that I couldn't puke. Literally, the food would not come back up although I was heaving and gagging. It was very very weird.

I always thought if you ate too much the band made you "puke" kind of like a glass being too full--nowhere to go so it spills over top!

So I guess in a sense, it causes bulimia and cures it all in the same!!

Just to push the issue a little bit--what if one has a problem with binge eating and then feeling so full and feeling bad about themselves and so they throw up. Wouldn't the band restrict how much the person could binge? And knowing that throwing up is very, very dangerous with the band, might it prevent them from purging.

I seem to remember seeing someone's lapband blog saying that it cured her bulimia.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Bulemia itself is very, very dangerous, and that does not stop bulimics. It is not just a physical disorder. Even with the band, it is possible to find foods to binge on. It might not be the 30lbs of mac and cheese Oprah is in the news for now, but there is always something. A bulimic might not be able to purge the contents from the stomach past the band, but they could still purge from their pouch--that would be even easier to do if they purposely got stuck or ate too much of the wrong thing. I highly doubt that the band all by itself could cure all of the factors of bulimia; I've seen the blog that claims this, and I fully believe that person is wrong. Mental/emotional disorders ARE physical/medical disorders--they're not a "mental weakness" as that blogger claims (and I find that a little insulting, being diagnised with chronic clinical depression). Bulimia has both physical and mental/emotional components.

I highly doubt that the band all by itself could cure all of the factors of bulimia; I've seen the blog that claims this, and I fully believe that person is wrong. Mental/emotional disorders ARE physical/medical disorders--they're not a "mental weakness" as that blogger claims (and I find that a little insulting, being diagnised with chronic clinical depression). Bulimia has both physical and mental/emotional components.

I agree with this quote! Bulimia or Clinical Depression are both physical and mental. Clinical Depression is a chemical imbalance that results in physical changes in the body. Bulimia does too. Neither is caused by “Mental Weakness” or any other kind of weakness such as faith as I have heard so many times. I too suffer from Clinical Depression but can control my need to eat by refocusing myself on something else. But Bulimia is all about controlling food intake itself . . . without help I do not feel someone with Bulimia could make it with the band. food is only a small part of depression and some people turn away from food instead of to food when they are depressed. But not with Bulimia?

Cheri

Hi,

I am in the medical profession and also started with bulimia, but recovered and never required treatment.

According to one of the DSM manual ( psychology book):

Many people who are bulimic describe their feelings during binges as completely out of control, driven by a desperate desire to escape or numb out. While they might feel ugly, unworthy, hopeless, and helpless before and during a binge-purge episode, after, they might feel a mix of control, shame, relief, disgust, high, dizziness, exhaustion, and resolution. Part of the cycle often includes the promise that each incidence will be the last.

These are the exact feelings that an alcoholic/addict feels. If a physician feels or knows you have a substance abuse problem, they will not do surgery, never mind if are have bulimia or anorexia. This would be life threatening to the individual in addition to being an unsuccesful surgery.

Excessive vomiting can cause slippage of the lapband causing erosion of the stomach. Vomiting causes pressure in the stomach. The pressure exerted can cause the band to expand and contract, leading to erosion of the banding material. Treatment for this includes medications and surgery, in which recovery is longer than the initial insertion.

Please, don't think about this or do this, until you totally have the bulimia under control with the help of a physician and couselor. It is going to take some time. This disease has a lot to do with psychological and physical changes. Preparing for and after receiving the lap band, is a big process both mentally and physically. I know. I am post operative day 16 and right now, have no vices to lean back on when I am stressed out. I don't drink, can't eat my comfort foods, can only walk at this time, and the gym is out. I am getting through it with the support of fellow banders.

I had LapBand surgery 3 1/2 years ago and lost all of my weight (120lbs) in the first 2 years. The first year I followed the rules, ate very little and very rarely threw up but did on occasion when I accidently ate too much. By the 2nd year, I started to eat more knowing I would throw up but my mind was just still so hungry and it perpetuated into full blown bulimia. Now keep in mind that I NEVER sufferered from Bulimia prior to LapBand. I would have never considered throwing up on purpose back then.

Now, for the last year or so, I will eat anything and everything that I want, knowing that I will simply throw it up and will never gain another pound as long as I have my LapBand. My LapBand has facilitated my bulimia. I am now starting to feel the effects of it on my esophagus, teeth and gums. I have just started therapy for my eating disorder and am considering having the LapBand removed.

Everyone is different but an eating disorder is an eating disorder with or w/out the LapBand. Prior to my LapBand, I was an emotional over-eater. Still am but now I am an emotional over-eater w/a LapBand and bulimia. My recommendation would be to get counseling or therapy before you have the LapBand surgery because my thought is that your bulimia will simply get worse with it. Good luck!

I am new on here. I posted to you after the posts that everyone else done. I AM JUST LIKE U.

I think if anything, the Lap band would make a non bulimic person with out any history of bulimia into a full blown bulimic. I would go years with out throwing up before my Lap band. Now all I have to do is bend over with my head lower than my stomach and up comes anything in my stoma. If I eat anything that makes me feel uncomfortable it is easily eliminated. I was just thinking a few days ago how dangerous this would be for a bulimic. I realize I'm a little too tight right now. I had not even PB'd until my last fill in September.

This is making me really nervous now- I don't want to become bulimic! My mom had gastric bypass and she had a bunch of complications..including having 9 surgeries to open her esophagus I believe. Shes been doing okay for a few years, except for the fact that she has fibromayalgia now...but for a long time she would have to throw up when she got stuck so she would feel better. I would always say WHY IS THIS HAPPENING?!?!!? This shouldn't be happening its not normal mom! It needs to be fixed...and that kept leading to her esophagus being widened.

But I thought that her surgery was a lot more complicated and more severe so I wouldn't have to deal with anything like that with the Lap Band...and now I'm finding the more I read on here, that's not true!

All I know if that I couldn't puke. Literally, the food would not come back up although I was heaving and gagging. It was very very weird.

I always thought if you ate too much the band made you "puke" kind of like a glass being too full--nowhere to go so it spills over top!

So I guess in a sense, it causes bulimia and cures it all in the same!!

Ive had one, just one incidence in six years with a band where ive wanted to throw up- as opposed to pbing- from nausea. Unfortunately it was a few weeks ago and involved alcohol. Since chemo i cant tolerate it or some reason and have gotten unexpectedly and unpkeasanly drunk a few times. Anyway, my body heaved and i got the sweats anf he watering mouth and all the symptom of tue vomitin but nothinbg would come up.

But i wpuld think bingin would quickly cause pain, food ould get stuck and vrything bov the pouch ould come right bck up. Trouble is when ive been stuck and pbd, unless its. Really bad one, i can eat again within minutes. I dont think pbing would halt hlt binging at all, no reputable surgeon would knowingly band someone with bulimia ( or anorexia either or that mattr) witjout dircting them for treatmen of h primry

Ho