Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

stressing out on my pre op diet

Ugh I'm only almost done with day 2 on my pre op diet and I'm alrdy stressing out so bad! I know my fiance has good intentions by stopping to eat before he gets home but I want so badly to be able to go eat with him and have dinner with him and I can't! Its really starting to make me mad!!!!! I'm starting to think I got myself into something I'm never goin to like! :(

Day 2 was the worst for me! I'm on day. 9 and it's not bad at all. Just remember this isn't forever and it's for a good cause. We can do it!

Then dont do the preop diet. If its stressing you only two days in then dont do it. Just wait for surgery and yeah life is going to change greatly. You are going to be on liquids for at least the next month two weeks pre op two weeks post op. How are you going to manage. Think about it before you do it. Now is the time to think about what your doing.

Ugh I'm only almost done with day 2 on my pre op diet and I'm alrdy stressing out so bad! I know my fiance has good intentions by stopping to eat before he gets home but I want so badly to be able to go eat with him and have dinner with him and I can't! Its really starting to make me mad!!!!! I'm starting to think I got myself into something I'm never goin to like! :(

Seriously...I'm on day like 6 and I just couldn't take it anymore... I'm cold all the time, I'm hardly drinking any Water..whereas before I drank Water all the time.. I'm miserable..and it just sucks.. period! So I feel ya sister girl! So...I did a ton of research myself... read about everyone else's pre op diets on here and another site and googled "liver shrinking diet", etc... at the end of the day..the main focus of the diet is to shrink your liver...and the what of the diets have are high Protein, no carb, no sugars, etc... I even found some post where a woman's husband had the surgery a week after hers so he was on whatever day of the liquid diet when she had her surgery and he or she told the doc that he hated the liquid diet and then the doc said that he could cheat but don't eat any cheeseburgers..lol The woman said after that.. her husband had tuna sandwiches with mayo and cream of chicken Soup everyday until the last 2 days before surgery...he did only liquids for those..and he was just fine... So you know what.. after reading all that.. You do whatever you think is best for yourself.. but I'm not gonna lie.. I'm still doing my Protein shakes but I've also been having a few slices of ham and a few slices of cheese.. for the last 2 days. I'm sure I'll still be fine.. 2 days before the surgery.. I'll do just liquids... I understand why we have to do it.. but it just sucks when you see other people that their docs let them at least just do a low carb diet for 2 weeks or some only 2 days of a liquid diet..ya know.

I feel better I got that off my chest..LOL :lol:

I did the 2 week no sugars no carb diet.. It was ok for me. But it will pay off. You will LOVE your band! Do the pre-op it will get your live good and ready. Are you on a liquid diet? Eat sugar free popcycles fro ma bowl with a spoon trick yourself into thinking its a meal. Worked for me :) lol but know that it is the hardest part and when you step on the scale you will feel so much better:) I was banded Nov 19th just in time for the holidays. I ate mushies for thanksgiving and didn't regret it 1 bit!! Hang in there.. dont give up! You CAN do it!

You can do it girl, it will pay off in the end. Just be strong Good Luck:)

Thanks for the support everyone! Well I got thru day 2 and it was hard so I just keep saying to myself today that I've gotten thru 2 rly tough days so I can get thru a 3rd day so far its working. I found out I can eat little things that are rly low carb so I ate a slice of turkey sandwich meat then I scrambled 2 eggs since they have no carbs and now I feel so much better! Ima keep my head up and get thru this. I want to be healthier and finally be happy with myself again and if that's what I want I gotta get thru this!

Oh yes I feel your pain!!!! I am on day 9 and I feel like I'm in the twilight zone. My husband eats regular while I sit at the table with a bowl of Soup. On days 1-4, it pissed me off because I felt this type of diet was unnecessary. I knew you could get the same results with a high protein/low carb diet but I didn't want anything botching up my surgery so I complied. It's to the point now where I have to force myself to eat, because I'm so tired of soup and the other crap, I would rather go hungry. But I don't want this to just be a negative post, lets look at the positive angles. I have lost weight, I don't know how much because I don't have a scale. I've learned to do more productive things with my time, before this diet I would find pleasure only when eating. So, even though the diet seems horrible now, it does get better. Then before you know it, you'll be getting your band.

You said what I've been thinking all along. Why do some doctors require liquid diets while others don't. I felt like the liquid diet was a punishment for being overweight. Why would you do that to someone when there are better, more realistic options?

Yes, doctors are all different. I was on a low cal/fat diet presurgery and was losing weight. My doctor said well you could loose more weight on this special 500 cal. a day diet. Hmmmmm. I lost no weight and I think i was alergic to the shakes. His nurse said to go back on my own diet. I ended up losing 50 pounds presurgery. The week before surgery I did Protein Shakes for Breakfast and dinner and a low cal/fat lunch. I did go out to lunch the day before surgery and had nice meal but Mom and I shared one plate; so I did'nt really eat that much.

Hi! You are not alone. The pre-op diet is THE WORST. I PROMISE YOU --- it will get better. Make sure to call your doctor. Tell him/her you're finding it intolerable. See if they will allow you to incorporate some light foods. Hang in there. Swear it --- you will be surprised at how much easier it gets.

I feel what you are going through, I am on my second day of the liquid diet and it is getting hard I have been having headaches and I continue to do what my doctor says. I am scheudled for Jan. 31 @ 8 am in Medford, Or. I know it is a challenge and I knew it was going to be a challenge so I am not surprised this is how I feel. I drink four Protein drinks a day and I have chicken broth for dinner and it seems to get me through the day, I just hope it doesn't get old fast.

Good luck you can do it, because it is going to be well worth it......

Dora

Just an update everyone!!! I started my pre op diet wed jan 19 today is Sunday jan 23 and I'm down 6 pounds! 6 pounds in 4 days!!! This coming wed will be exactly a week away from surgery and that's when I have to go strictly liquids no more 1 lean cuisine meal a day :( at this point tho I think I rather just drink broth and my Jello then eat a lean cuisine their expensive and not so great and u can't hardly find ones with no rice or Pasta or potatoes in them. Best wishes to everyone!

Just an update everyone!!! I started my pre op diet wed jan 19 today is Sunday jan 23 and I'm down 6 pounds! 6 pounds in 4 days!!! This coming wed will be exactly a week away from surgery and that's when I have to go strictly liquids no more 1 lean cuisine meal a day :( at this point tho I think I rather just drink broth and my Jello then eat a lean cuisine their expensive and not so great and u can't hardly find ones with no rice or Pasta or potatoes in them. Best wishes to everyone!

Congrat to you!!!!!!!! The pre-op diet does suck!!!!! AND so does the first couple of weeks of the post-op diet!!!!!!! But use this time to learn new habits!!!!! I have always been told that it takes 21 days to kick a habit, If you take the time to learn Portion Control and size now, eating after all the post op dieting ends won't be a problem for you and you will see amazing results. If it hadn't been for the pre-op and post op diets I would have never learned portion control. Best of Luck in your journey!!!!!!!

I am on day 6 of my diet. It is going really well and I am super excited that I'm doing it because it shows me that I am capable of doing something I thought was going to be really difficult. Getting the surgery is going to b 1 of the biggest, most important things I have ever done for myself. I have lost 7 pounds in 6 days, found out that my children like Protein shakes, and have for the first time in my life been able to focus on something other than what I'm making for supper!

I am so happy I listened to my doctor and gave this pre op diet a chance! It feels like the first steps going to be the first day of the rest of my life