Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Able to eat too much

I'm now two weeks post op and on mushy foods. I feel like I am able to eat too much! I am not eating anywhere near what I used to. But it just seems like I should be eating a lot less than what I am.

Yesterday I had cottage cheese & peaches for Breakfast, then a snack of pudding, lunch was 1/4 cup of tuna salad and a few crackers, snack of pudding, dinner was chili, and then I even tried some lasagna! All this without any problems!! Is something wrong?? Why am I able to eat so much? It almost feels like I am not banded! I have lost 20 lbs in the last two weeks, so I know I'm on the right track. But it still seems like too much food.< /p>

Help!

your doing just fine Holly! I had the same feelings of insecurity all the time the first 2 months after banding. If you want read the diary entries on my website....

happy new year!

It almost feels like I am not banded!

Hi Holly! You're absolutely right--you almost ARE not banded. Without a fill it's entirely possible to feel completely normal, with perhaps only a tiny restriction that keeps you from gorging. This is absolutely normal and tells you that your stomach is well on its way to being fully healed.

It's only after a fill (or two) that your band will assert itself. Patience is key at this stage, because your brain feels like you've taken this immense plunge but you don't really feel any different. We all understand and have been there.

Don't worry about calories or amounts at this point. Reintroduce foods and textures slowly, but go ahead and enjoy them. Now is the time to just take care of yourself and--I'll say it again--don't worry!! ;)

Holly,

I agree with the others. My own experience was that I was not terribly restricted at all. Unfortunately it was seven months before I got my first fill. But even with only minor restriction I still lost about 50 pounds. So don't worry if ;you feel like you are eating more than you expected. After you get your first fills you will have restriction. Remember your body needs time to heal, that is why they don't put the fil in when they insert the band.

Also keep in mind that mushy and liquid foods go right through the band - thus you can eat more. Just make sure that the foods you are putting in your mouth are good choices and that a little extra is not going to increase your calories too much and you will be fine. These first few weeks are not aobut losing weight, they are about healing and getting back to normal. Don't *should* yourself too much with regards to what you can and cannot eat or how much - everyone's experience is different. Just be conservative in your choices and only eat what you *actually* need and you will be fine! ;-)

Thank you all SO much. After reading your replies I feel more at ease. I did not expect to feel so "normal". At least now I know that others have had similar experiences.

Holly,

I am eating pureed foods-am only 5 days post op. I eat very little, but already I was worried about the same thing as you--eating too much! I am following my doctor's instructions to the tee, and I have lost a few pounds (probably Water weight). I think that as long as the scale is moving downward everything is okay, right? I just got a message from another girl- LLili, who is two weeks post-op and still on Clear Liquids at her doctor's advice! It will surely be an adventure, huh? Aren't the people here wonderful? They have helped me so much.

Sultana

12/29/03 Dr. Kurian

318/314/175

I found that once I started on "mushy" foods I was able to eat more. I went for my two week check up today, and the dr explained that the food is still able to slip through the band at this point. The real test is when we start solids and are eating 3 times a day. That made me feel a little better. I just did not expect to feel this good so soon;-)

I love this site! Everyone is so helpful and nice! I find that this site is the best source of support and information! Thank you all so much!!!!!!!!;)

Holly