Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Today I went and had the scope test done and found out that I have a hiatal hernia and gastritis. My Doctor says that he'll be able to repair both of these during surgery but has anyone else has at least one of these done with the surgery? Did you have to stay any longer at the hospital?

I was told I had a hiatal hernia but during surgery - my surgeon discovered that they must have seen something else because he didn't find any hernias. But i have heard a lot of people have them and came out fine.

Hi!

So, I was just banded on 1/12/11 (yay!). Apparently my doctor found a hiatal hernia during the surgery, which he fixed. There really wasn't too much impact on my hospital stay... it was still outpatient. I actually had no idea they found and fixed a hernia during my surgery until later that night back at home when my husband told me. After hearing that, I understood why I had been in more pain than I had anticipated after surgery. They had told me to expect about 1 hour or so in recovery before they'd move me to the last stage of recovery in a different area of the hospital (where you go while waiting to pee and walk and such). But instead of 1 hour, I was in there for almost 3. I woke up from surgery in a LOT of pain, and was pretty sick to my stomach. My recovery since the surgery has been a lot tougher than I had expected as well, and I do think that was because of the hernia. It kind of feels like someone punched me in the solar-plexus.

But I wouldn't worry! It wasn't enough of an issue to make me re-think anything! In the end, I guess I'm glad they fixed it (even though I had NO clues or symptoms that I had it).

Let me know if you have any other questions! :) Good luck with your surgery!!

Hi

I had a hernia discovered pre-surgery. My doctor fixed it during the surgery. I don't believe it impacted my recovery at all. I woke up from surgery with the pain under control, but definitely feeling I'd had surgery! I was pretty weak.

Mine was outpatient but I stayed a few hours longer than my doctor expected. He was surprised to still see me in the recovery area. As it turned out, I was his first patient done as an out patient and the nurses in recovery were not familiar, yet, with lapband patients. (he is the only doctor here who does them). So the nurses were hesitant to send me home!

So, in response to your question, repairing hernias are very common during lapband surgery. Ask your doctor what he will be doing different because of the hernia repair, what complications he will watch for, and if he expects any additional recovery time because of the hernia.

Im glad he can repair that for you while he's in there!!

~hiddn

Common and though I didn't have a hiatal hernia repaired during my surgery I do know that it is great that your surgeon caught it before you were banded. They are known to cause problems post-op. Having your hernia repaired may lengthen your surgery but definitely not by much! Good luck.