Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Most psychological test have built in questions to detect malingering (faking good OR bad) so the best thing to do is just to answer the questions as honestly as possible. Honestly if I am noe psychologically ready i don;t think I want to get the band..I don't want to invest all that money and go through surgery to fail, or be miserable.

I have BCBS Fed, you will get approved in no time. But they now required the 6 mo. supervised diet!

Ok, had the psych eval yesterday.... a total waste of time! It was a sit down "interview" but it really wasnt. He talked a lot and just typed up the eval as we spoke. Nothing really discussed about bariatric surgery or anything really related to "eating disorders". But..... I got the eval and just verified with the surgeon's office that they received it.

Now, it's a waiting game to see how long the surgeon's office reviews my file and compiles the info to submit for approval. I sure hope I dont have to keep calling and bugging them for a status. I sure hope they can get it reviewed and sent off this week!! Am I dreaming?? How long did it take any of you after your eval was received? I have BCBS-Fed and I've read that they are rather quick in approving surgery, I just have a feeling this doctor's office is slow in submitting the paperwork to insurance...... UGH....

Thanks Mattie.... I have the 6mo. supervised diet already.... I'm ready to go I just hope the surgeon's office acts fast and submits the paperwork for the pre-auth and the approval this week. I already called and left a msg but of course no one called me back. Looks like I'll be calling tomorrow.... I hate the waiting game.

Did you get your approval yet Mattie?

Yes I was banded 12/27. BCBS approved me in like 2 days. How did the supv diet go?

And yes, of course no one called you back! Boy do I know how that goes. It's as if our money isn't paying their salaries!

Thanks Mattie.... I have the 6mo. supervised diet already.... I'm ready to go I just hope the surgeon's office acts fast and submits the paperwork for the pre-auth and the approval this week. I already called and left a msg but of course no one called me back. Looks like I'll be calling tomorrow.... I hate the waiting game.

Did you get your approval yet Mattie?

Being in the medical field and also having had this done, this was my experience.

First, I had to fill out a questionaire. The answers to these questions are reviewed by the pyschologist and he writes up his thoughts and what the literature supports as your strengths and weaknessess.

Then he commented on the different parts of the test and what he saw as my strengths and weakness. Then he asked more open ended questions about my weaknesses. Mostly, he was looking to see if I have any additions (alcohol, drugs, food whatever), my coping skills, my percetions of certain situations, behaviors, what drives them and what I did to cope with them.

The reason they do this is to insure that mentally, you are aware of what lifestyle changes you are going to have to make and your coping skills. Everyone wants to believe they are ready, but past history is what they are looking at. Bad behaviors tend to repeat themselves and multiple way of obtaining support is crutial. It is so different thinking that you are ready and actually going through it. My mind was made up to do this and I lost weight before with a strict diet and excercise for 4 years, so I know what sacrafices I had to make. Unfortunately, I had half my thyroid out causing me to gain weight, I virtually had no engery and slept most of the time. This is how my weight went got out of control.

I am now 12 days post op and thought I was going to loose it yesterday. I am self employed, do not drink alcohol, can not eat can not exercise and had to deal with a stressful work situation. I did call my friend who does the same type of work and she help me work through it. Today, I got my staple out and can eat more. Unfortunatetly, I had a huge hiatal hernia and it is tight, so thick pureed foods is not good now. But, it just feels good to know I can eat more if I want to.

my eval consisted of me one on one with a psychiatrist- we just talked about my weight struggles- it was totally easygoing. However, my friend who went to a different doctor had to fill out a questionaire- I was with her as her support person and some of the questions had us giggling. Such as "Do you or have you ever wanted to hurt an animal" We still laugh about that question today :-)

I had actually done the 6 mo supervised diet way before I even thought about doing the lap band, so I just got all of the paper work from that doctor and had it with me at my first appt with the lap band surgeon. I had everything ready to go at my first appt... the 6 mo supervised diet, 5 year medical history, endoscopy results from 2008, blood work from June 2010, EVERYTHING!! So, when I did the psych eval on monday and verified the surgeon's office received it, my paperwork to submit to insurance shouldn't take that long!! I just called and left another message. I'll give her til mid-afternoon and call back!! This anticipation is killing me!!!

Che, didnt your doctor remove the hiatal hernia during surgery? I have one too and my surgeon said he will remove mine while he's in there....

I've already had my talk with the doc. She was very good. I had a bunch of paperwork and tests that I had to do before I went to the appointment. She asked a few questions about what was going on in my life, my childhood, etc. It was actually enjoyable. Hope yours goes as well.

just spoke to surgeon's office and they will be submitting my file to the insurance company this week!!! YooHOOOOOOOOOO

I have been waiting for my evaluation for 18 months and still don't have it my phychiarist has been putting me off all this time well for the phych evaluation I will be going somewhere else I'm tired of waiting on him for this I still will to cont. to see him every 3 months but this is getting rediciulous...The new one says they can get me RIGHT IN...and accepts my inc. they are supossed to let me know how much I need to pay for it...I Hope it's not alot...It's one my surgeon recomends...

Mine was almost 2 weeks ago, and it was 10 minutes tops. I had just spent a full hour with the nutritionist. I was surprised that mine was just a series of quick questions. The ones that stood out for me were the big scary ones: have you ever binged and purged, anorexic, cut yourself, done harm to others....etc. These were mixed in with more mild questions. I was a bit nervous too, but it was all good.

I have BCBS Fed, you will get approved in no time. But they now required the 6 mo. supervised diet!

I have the same insurance and am having surgery 1/27/2011 and have been approved without the 6 month diet. It may be because I started the process before the first of the year.