Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what about having the surgery done in TJ MX?

I am planning in having my lapband surgery by next coming month and I decided to do it in TJ MX. I never been there but I have really good reference from my cousin. Have u done some research... can u advise if I am making a good decision?

Thanks

Okay I am going to have to let my blonde show through and confess.... I swear I was looking at this as if you were saying you were having surgery at TJ MAX.... wow I need food.... or sleep....

Okay I am going to have to let my blonde show through and confess.... I swear I was looking at this as if you were saying you were having surgery at TJ MAX.... wow I need food.... or sleep....

Don't worry, I seen what you seen! I figured if Walmart could sell caskets, TJMax could do surgeries!

If you go to youtube, you'll see where people have not had good success in Mexico. Not just for LapBand but for other surgeries as well. Do your reasearch on the doctors and make sure that a doctor here will do your fills. I know that the only 3 bands that my surgeon has had to remove have been from mexico. She WILL NOT fill anyone who had theirs done out of the country. Good luck!

I thought the same thing! lol

Me too!

Armizolana,

If you know the name of your doctor, you can do a forum search to see if anyone else has used that doctor. That might be the easiest way to get the information you are looking for.

There are many great Dr.s down there now. It's really just about costs and costs of real estate. So many good facilities are located in TJ now.

I am planning in having my lapband surgery by next coming month and I decided to do it in TJ MX. I never been there but I have really good reference from my cousin. Have u done some research... can u advise if I am making a good decision?

Thanks

OMG I was on the TJ-MAX trip also lol....People can say anything, there is nothing like doing your own research on the doctor and hospital/satff. Becareful and Good Luck

My doctor told us that many doctors in MX are using the first generation band, the one that caused the erosions. Just one more thing to check out.

Again, it is best to do your research, but I'm getting banded in Mexico in a week and a half after much research. My husband's aunt was banded at the OCC and said it was a great experience. They use the latest realize band. Just do your research, but I think the big places are very reputable.

My doctor told us that many doctors in MX are using the first generation band, the one that caused the erosions. Just one more thing to check out.

I agree, research is key. Today actually my nutritionist told me about a couple people who had to come get theirs taken out because they got it done in Mexico. I'm sure you can find a good reputable place and then make sure the clinic you will see for follow ups where you live will accept you.

ME TOO!

I have been trying to understand why some US docs and some US patients continue to slam the surgeons in Mexico. Is it arrogance? Is it prejudice? On what basis does a doctor comment that the Mexican surgeons are using an older generation band? Does he have facts and statistics to back up that statement, no, because it is not based in fact. I was banded in Mexico and have the latest and greatest in bands from the people who make THE Lap Band.

Are we still living in a time where Mexico is somewhat less than our country? Our arrogance just amazes me and is rather infuriating at the same time.

The doctor that did my surgery in Mexico has easily twice (yes, I verified the stats) the experience of any doc that I could find here. I have his cell number and can call or text him 24/7 with any questions. Can anyone report that same ability to reach their US doctor?

I could not find a US doctor that would do my surgery because I was not big enough for their standards. To me, being 80 pounds overweight was enough, but the US docs did not want me to mess up their stats.

I did tons of research, talked to lots of patients and docs and found a team that I was comfortable with. The hospital was the nicest one that I have ever seen (and I have seen many of them) and my experience was wonderful. I had my surgery in October and half of those 80 pounds are GONE.

Some things to consider - aftercare - my doc will see me any time, but I have to get myself to Cancun or TJ to see him. I attempted to and thought that I had gotten setup with aftercare here and learned that even though the doctor wanted to treat me, his shrink and office manager did not want a patient who had surgery elsewhere, so I am on my own. My GP has been researching and learning for me and I found a PA who will do fills for me if I ever need another one. If you are someone who needs weekly support groups and a medical team to follow you, then find a US practice that will pick up your aftercare.

Any questions - feel free to PM me.

This is too dang funny. I read the thread title and clicked into it to post how I thought the OP meant TJ MAXX, but I see the rest of you beat me to it! Great (twisted) minds think alike! :)

Dave