Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Vegetarians Here?

Hi all,

Newbie here. I am considering the Lap Band and I'm also a vegetarian. SO my protien sources will have to be different etc.

I'm also concerned about not being able to eat the veggies due to Fiber, etc.

What CAN'T you eat now that you could before?

ALso, I think it would be great to give pre and post op food recommendations for vegetarians listed so we can shop and have the liquid and the mushie foods ready.

I'm not a vegetarian but I can eat just like I did before banding. Why would you not be able to eat veggies?

I love my salads and veggies. You can always chop / puree your veggies to your liking.

That's great news! I read on some other boards that certain veggies that have a lot of roughage can't be eaten, like broccoli and brussel sprouts, which I love.

I eat all veggies. I also eat many Beans because I only eat poultry. No beef or pork. I make sure that If I am running low on protien I add bene-protien or a shake to get to 70 grams. Remember that cottage cheese and eggs are also a good source, thats if you eat them.

I eat meat but alot of vegetables. This last week I got awesome fresh brussel sprouts that I oven roasted. They were awesome. I also oven roast green Beans, carrots, etc.

One of my favorite veggie dishes is mushrooms, spinash (cut small), yellow squash, and matchstick carrots - cooked in garlic oil, sprinkle with parmesean cheese. Hummus is a favorite veggie dip for me.

I eat soy chips, use Protein drinks, yogurt, etc.

I think you can get your Protein in without meat. Just track your protein and if you are short, have a Protein Drink for supper or before bed.

Make sure you cook veggies thourghly and you should be fine. I have problems with broccoli from restaurants but at home I have no problems at all. I steam it with a bit of lemon juice and some Mrs. Dash and it is great. I eat loads of Beans as I am not a huge meat eater. You can also have soy meat replacements they have tons of Protein and most of them taste great. Do you eat eggs? Dairy? Both are good sources of protein. Also fish if you eat it is good for you all around. I have a banded friend that is vegan (sp?) and she has no problems with her nutritional needs at all. Good luck with whatever you decide. ~Mandy

I've been wondering the same thing...I was vegetarian for about 30 years and just in the last year or so have started eating small amounts of chicken and turkey (I don't really like but can tolerate them) to pacify my two adult sons that I'm getting enough Protein. I'm wondering about the Worthington, Loma Linda, or Morningstar Farms meat substitutes...anyone have any thoughts to share about them? I use them occasionally now and am wondering if I'll be able to after I'm banded. They don't seem to chew up very well even when I'm really concentrating on chewing. I do use Beans...lentils are a super source of Protein and others are good, too. Refried Beans and salsa are one of my staples, and I'm thinking I'll be able to use that when I get to mushies.

Thanks for startingthis thread...it will be interesting to see how many of us there are.

Emily

I eat meat but I love Beans and legumes too - there's just so many ways you can eat them and they contain not only Protein but good carbs and plenty of fibre. They're superfoods, everyone should eat more of them regardless of whether they're meat eaters or not.

I went off meat for quite a while when I was a physiotherapy student and spent my days carving up dead bodies for a look. Ugh, not much difference between that and the steak on your plate, it put me off for a good long while.

I tried eating a vegetarian diet during the summer, and did alright with it for about a month and a half. I noticed that I had a really hard time meeting my Protein requirements, and thus had a hard time keeping myself feeling full. Beans, ricotta, nuts, and the other Protein sources I was utilizing just didn't seem to keep me satisfied.

I did notice how much better I felt though, as I felt healthier, more energetic, and a whole lot lighter. Any tips for alternate protein sources? I have been wishing that a vegetarian bandster would step forward on here so that I could get some tips and give it another go round. I really want to try it again!

Maybe I should start slow and be a Pescetarian first, then move on to Ovo Lacto Vegetarianism? Any ideas would be great.

Thanks for stepping forward. I really needed someone to talk to about this, as it's been bugging me for a while now.

Hi Kelly girl!

I eat eggs and dairy, but I get the organic and free range kind.

There are really good "meaty" recipes from Robin Robertson. I think she puts out THE BEST cookbooks out there. Her recipes really helped us transition from heavy meat eaters to vegetarians. http://www.robinrobertson.com/

It's also important that your eating a balanced diet. Vegetarians have to be more careful that we are getting everything we need. Too often people just stop eating meat, then get cravings or not feel well because they are not eating a balanced diet and getting all the nutrients they need. In order to be a successful vegetarian, you must know how to feed your body correctly.

Great info on how to be a vegetarian you can find here: http://www.goveg.com

If you need resove, just go to http://www.goveg.com/factoryFarming.asp or

http://www.animalactivist.com/vegetarian.asp and look at all the videos and read the articles.

Good luck,

Eileen

Eileen & Celeste, did you ever hear of the Sonoma Diet? Its the Mediterranean way of eating w/good carbs like south beach. The recipes from the med diet is awesome.

I'm sure you could subsitute chicken by using Tofu or Beans :P~

http://www.sonomadiet.com/public/foodandrecipes/recipes/recipes.aspx

I'm going to try to follow this, not necessarily "the plan" but the recipes , they are very healthy.

I have a great recipe for a vegetarian "meat loaf", if anyone is interested. I have shared it with non-vegetarian friends, and they all love it. Gave it to one of my volunteers at work whose husband has heart problems, and he even liked it. It's one of our family favorites.

Emily