Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The local wellness center (hospital code for gym) offers a Zumba class twice a week. I am gearing myself up to go, even though I am a bit intimidated by the class and the skinnies.

My question is... anyone done zumba? Feelings about it? Recommendations?

Thanks! And good luck to everyone!

I went to 2 classes and quit out of frustration. Everything moved so quickly that I was always several moves behind and just felt like I was flailing around. The instructor's words of 'advice': Oh just keep coming, you pick it up eventually. Some may...I wouldn't. I need to be 'taught' the routine. Since that apparently isn't part of zumba, I moved on.

I did it before surgery and plan to once I get

the green light for full gym exercise activities. I LOVE it! It is fast paced but don't worry about it. Anyone that's just starting is slow and you do catch on fast. Don't be intimidated by skinnies lol. There where women of all sizes in my class and ALL of us where sweating and out of breath and running for Water in between dances! Give it a try! I like it a lot and actually bought it for myself at home so I can do it more than just when it's offered at the gym. That also let me practice at home and allowed me to be able to better keep up at the gym!

I have done Zumba and I LOVED it! Don't worry about not being perfect - take it from a perfectionist - it really doesn't matter what you do or how well you do it. Just let go and get into it - even if you feel like you have no rhyme or rhythm.

Even if you never get each and every move down pat - just be in the moment and be glad that you were willing to try something that may be out of your comfort zone.

No one really cares weather you are getting it or not - just that you are there. Sure the instructor might say eventually you will - but the important thing to remember is that you may (and you may not) - but if you let go and just enjoy you will be fine.

If you love to dance - and clubbing isn't your game - then this class is for you.

Hope you try it and love it!

The local wellness center (hospital code for gym) offers a Zumba class twice a week. I am gearing myself up to go, even though I am a bit intimidated by the class and the skinnies.

I go three days a week! It is my favorite exercise to do....and man csn you burn some calories! no one watches what you are doing or not doing. I started out the biggest girl there and now I'm one of those."skinnys" haha it is seriosly like a big 'ol party! Elfie-i want to encourage you to try again....find a.different class with a different instructor. You can go on the zumba website and search for classes near you. it took me going to two different classes til I found an instructor that I liked...both tbe way she taught and her personality.

And biggest advice.....don't stand.in the back! You may want to but you wil pick it up better standing in the middle or front. Whenever someone new comes to class I introduce myself then make them stand with me ;) hehe

Let us know if you go and how much you love it!

Iv been taking a body pump and body combat class at my gym for the past several months..but on Saturday I stayed and watched the Zumba class..i actually think I would really like it..there were a bunch of new people in there and they were all over the place but that is how it is inthe classes I take too..Im gonna give it a try next week !

The gym I go to has 4 different Zumba instructors and I've taken from each one. Every instructor has a different style and different levels of intensity. If you go to one place/instructor and don't fit in, try another.

I've been doing Zumba for about a year, some dances I have down, others I still can't get, but no one cares. Just keep moving and enjoying the calorie burn.

Ditch the workout.. join the party!! (~ Zumba's motto)

Iv been taking a body pump and body combat class at my gym for the past several months..but on Saturday I stayed and watched the Zumba class..i actually think I would really like it..there were a bunch of new people in there and they were all over the place but that is how it is inthe classes I take too..Im gonna give it a try next week !

Oooo.. I <3 <3 <3 Body Pump. Our gym doesn't offer Body Combat, what's it like?

I have arthritis in both of my knees...Zumba looks so fun but I haven't tried it because I worry that it might be hard on my knees. What do you think? Is it hard on the knees?

I too Zumba at least twice a wk. I LOVE it!! You really do pick up most of the moves after a few times. Most instructors have a lot of similar dances, with a few tweaks here and there. It's a lot of fun, and everyone is usually laughing and having fun.

I joined a new gym, and there are a few ppl who came up and introduced themselves. It was really nice. I plan to do the same when I new person comes in.

And you sweat a lot and burn a lot. I take a 24 oz container of Water, and it's done by the time the class is over. So if nothing else, you get some Water in for the day!

I LOVE Zumba!!!!! I have it on the Wii 2!!! Both like sumone said earlier, def make u burn a lot of calories!!! And Vickyd~I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and do it , it can be hard on ur knees but I always know that the rewards from me working my BUTT off for an hr makes the feeling inside u forget ur pain or just take some pain medicine b4 going!!

Seeing this thread has sparked the fire under my booty to get out there and do some. I've always wanted to try it and I watched some videos online about it and I feel like I'm partying along with the people dancing. I love it!

:lol:

I love, love, love Zumba. It's by far my favorite exercise ! I'm post op 8 days and have already gone back , I really felt like I couln't wait. Went back two days ago, I let my surgeon know today that I had already gone back and he kinda gave me the eye...hehe

Anyway, just make sure you invest in proper footwear before you start i.e a good pair of dance sneakers otherwise your knees will be very angry with you by the time you're done. I got a pair for Christmas and boy did they make a difference!

Every class I've gone to has been different becuase every instructor teaches it differently. I am currently taking Zumba for college credit. Cool huh...getting 2 credits for something I actually love to do B)

That's so cool chops you can take Zumba for college credit :) We never had aerobic classes like that back in my college day (20 yrs ago)... I was a dance minor too...

That said, I have the Zumba DVD's and have done the routines in the safety of my own apartment :D Don't have trouble with the moves but did find out when I first tried it at 300+ pounds it is more of a workout than I thought! But, I love it, and my health club does have a few Zumba classes a week, with a really good instructor I hear, so that's my next step is to go public B)

I will tell you guys something OT, you want another fun yet "productive" workout try ballroom dancing :o