Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what am I doing wrong

Omg yes! Wish someone had been HONEST with us about the band BEFORE we got it!

I am wondering who was less than honest with you - your doctors office?

Yes, for me it was the doctor's office. All over their website are before/after pictures of success stories, and someone who's lost a ton of weight comes to the seminar and tells you all the good things, but not the bad. The doctor specifically said "the band makes it so you can eat about 6 bites of food and then feel full, and you will stay full for 3,4 and some people up to 5 hours". Then the doctor asked me how long I'd been looking into it, I said a few months. He didn't then test my knowledge or say anything like "the band won't work if you don't diet" just "you're a candidate" and "the average weight loss is 40-50% but some do better"..blah blah blah. He is highly recommended and the best in the city so I didn't have reason to doubt. The psyche consult person did say it's a "tool" but I took that as they are covering their a$$es, who wouldn't in today's day and age right? I mean all I was exposed to were awesome results, other than some friends who told me about someone they knew who threw up all the time, but I understood that to mean if you ate too much it would come right back up.

But it IS about restriction! That is why we got this surgery isn't it? To have restriction so we would fill up sooner and not eat as much and not be hungry all the time.

No...the band works because it puts pressure on the vagus nerves which tell the stomach to quit producing ghrelin, the hunger hormone. So when we eat, and have reached that sweet spot, what we're getting is appetite suppression that should last about 4 hours or so.

You need to change your definition of full from "can't take another bite" to "content and no longer hungry". You may still be *able* to eat the same quantity you could pre-band, but without the driving hunger, you have a greater chance of putting that fork down...and that's what our job is.

I saw that. If restriction is irrelevent..............then why are all these bariatric Drs. saying that after a certain point with the fills that you will have "restriction" and will then be able to eat less and stay full longer???

Possibly two reasons. The first being that many of these surgeons don't have a clue how the band works. They're in it for the money. Period.

When my surgeon uses the term 'restriction', he means that when the band is working (appetite suppression), I will be content with less.

Well the band does NOT take away my hunger.........and I have noticed it does NOT for a lot of bandsters!!!

To all of you that have a band that is working, I am very happy for you. However you need to realize that the band does not work for most ppl.

I thought the same as you and I told my surgeon I wanted all the Fluid out (since it was causing phrenic nerve pain) and we were making plans to do a vertical sleeve. Within 24 hours of all the Fluid being taken out, I was ravenously hungry. I was reminded of what I dealt with prior to the band. Apparently, I've had some amount of help from the band since the day of surgery because I didn't notice when that hunger disappeared. A week after the unfill I went back in and they were only able to put 6cc in. Within *minutes* my ravenous hunger disappeared. I'm now a believer.

I'm sorry, but I don't believe the band doesn't work for *most* people. I think, perhaps, the correct way of saying it is that the band does not live up to the *expectations* of many people but, yes, there are some it doesn't work for. Why that is, I'm in no position to judge.

I like how you put that "doesn't live up to the expectations of many people". I think that may have put the nail on the head. I understand the business need to not turn off potential business...ie doctors not telling the whole truth with the cons of the procedure, but still I wish I got more honest facts ahead of time. THANK GOD for this forum as I am learning many realistic things and how I will have to be more in control of things to be successful!

I thought the same as you and I told my surgeon I wanted all the Fluid out (since it was causing phrenic nerve pain) and we were making plans to do a vertical sleeve. Within 24 hours of all the Fluid being taken out, I was ravenously hungry. I was reminded of what I dealt with prior to the band. Apparently, I've had some amount of help from the band since the day of surgery because I didn't notice when that hunger disappeared. A week after the unfill I went back in and they were only able to put 6cc in. Within *minutes* my ravenous hunger disappeared. I'm now a believer.

I'm sorry, but I don't believe the band doesn't work for *most* people. I think, perhaps, the correct way of saying it is that the band does not live up to the *expectations* of many people but, yes, there are some it doesn't work for. Why that is, I'm in no position to judge.

Mattie,

I agree with you. I think the ethical thing to do would be for the surgeons to tell the good, the bad and the ugly so that the person can make a more informed decision. Unfortunately, too many are more interested in 'making a buck'. Some just aren't very good at communicating how the band works because they don't really know. Even they think the band works by physically restricting what we eat...which is why some patients are told they should only eat 6 bites or 1/2 cup of food and be 'full' for 4-5 hours.

I wish...........but I don't think. :-( I have had my band 14 months and had 14 fills. I have followed band rules. I have given this more than a fair shot. It just does NOT work for most ppl.

I hope u have better luck with it than I have!!!

how can you possibly know that it doesnt work for "most" people?? i mean, if youre saying its not working for you, then fine. if youre saying it hasnt worked for people you know or have seen, okay. but im just wondering what qualifies you to say that it doesnt work for most people.

I can't see myself only eating 6 bites of food...but we'll see I guess!

I have no fill so far, but one thing I've noticed is I'm eating a lot of smaller meals throughout the day. Up to 6 at times which technically is proper if you figure 3 meals and 3 Snacks. Before I used to eat a big lunch and dinner, and Snacks later in the day. I'm not really losing weight, but not gaining either. So that's a start I guess!

Yes I see that you are a believer. A lot of us were believers untill we reallized it didn't work! If u think it works for u that's great. For most of us...............it doesn't.

Because I have been observing this for over a year now. The facts speak! It hasn't workded for me. It hasn't worked for most ppl I know. It hasn't worked for most ppl that I have observed online. IT DOESN'T FREAKING WORK MOST OF THE TIME.

*IF* it works for u..............then great. However it is NOT the case for most bandsters!

how can you possibly know that it doesnt work for "most" people?? i mean, if youre saying its not working for you, then fine. if youre saying it hasnt worked for people you know or have seen, okay. but im just wondering what qualifies you to say that it doesnt work for most people.

Ok, so it is your personal observation - not rooted in any scientific study - that the band doesn't work for most people. That's all I needed to know. I'll trust the experts.

Some may not have a clue how it works. But if they don't they don't need to be selling the surgery. It's very unethical for the Drs. (and this is NOT all Drs.!) that know how ineffective this surgery is and continue to do it!

Possibly two reasons. The first being that many of these surgeons don't have a clue how the band works. They're in it for the money. Period.

When my surgeon uses the term 'restriction', he means that when the band is working (appetite suppression), I will be content with less.