Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mushy food madness

Hi All,

Tomorrow will be two weeks since my surgery. I am currently on mushy foods and doing what I think is a pretty good job. I am a bit concerned that my weight loss will stall for whatever reason, I mean it shouldn't since I am taking in significantly less calories than I was before surgery, but still concerned.

My mushy diet consists of egg salad, grits, chicken salad, salmon, crushed chopped broccoli, lima Beans, apple sauce, etc. I am trying to get the most nutritional value out of each meal. But must admit, I have slightly been thinking about food. I guess that's normal.

Anyway, I am curious to know what people are eating during their phase III of the diet, prior to your first fill. Essentially the time when you have no restriction and can eat as normal again. I belive some people refer it to "bandster hell." I am eager and hungry for weight loss and would like to be mentally prepared for this phase and to be able to lose weight during it (I am kind of looking forward to it, cause I don't feel normal eating all this mushy food, LOL). I'm gonna be in a wedding in May and want to surprise EVERYONE! :)

Anyway, any advice would be great! I wish you all the best.

I started my phase 3 diet today... so not very experienced in this part of the diet... but I am able to have 1.5-2 oz of Protein and 1 oz of fruits or veggies at a time... so this morning I had 1 scrambled egg, 1/2 oz of turkey ham, 1/2 oz low fat cheese and 1 oz of tomatoes. It was very feeling and I stayed full for several hours. Then for lunch I had a piece of grilled talapia and 1 oz of cauliflower. Tonight for dinner I had 2 oz of beef meat and am full. I'm hoping the weight will continue to come off with this new phase of diet.. if I not I may go back to liquid/mushy diet for a while and then try phase 3 again later...

ohh goodness! welcome to bandster hell! My first few weeks of phase 3 i really took things easy. I was nervous about new "real" foods. I had chopped up turkey..ham..any type of pureed meat. I had alot of scrambled eggs, cottage cheese..that kind of thing. eventually when I reached bandster hell..i had Pasta...not the best choice but i was soooo hungry and it made me feel more full i guess. baked chicken is a really good choice as well. By 4 weeks post op I could eat any food no problem..i just made myself stay under 4 oz..most of the time!! its all a head game i think. you just need to be in control and not let the food control you. oh..i also found that i didnt have a problem with toasted multi grain bread and its really filling. a good Breakfast my surgeon reccomended is half a slice of toast with one scrambled egg! good luck! it sounds like your doing great so far!

weight.png

Hi All,

Tomorrow will be two weeks since my surgery. I am currently on mushy foods and doing what I think is a pretty good job. I am a bit concerned that my weight loss will stall for whatever reason, I mean it shouldn't since I am taking in significantly less calories than I was before surgery, but still concerned.

My mushy diet consists of egg salad, grits, chicken salad, salmon, crushed chopped broccoli, lima Beans, apple sauce, etc. I am trying to get the most nutritional value out of each meal. But must admit, I have slightly been thinking about food. I guess that's normal.

Anyway, I am curious to know what people are eating during their phase III of the diet, prior to your first fill. Essentially the time when you have no restriction and can eat as normal again. I belive some people refer it to "bandster hell." I am eager and hungry for weight loss and would like to be mentally prepared for this phase and to be able to lose weight during it (I am kind of looking forward to it, cause I don't feel normal eating all this mushy food, LOL). I'm gonna be in a wedding in May and want to surprise EVERYONE! :)

Anyway, any advice would be great! I wish you all the best.

Just so you know - I hear there is commonly a stall in weight loss in the second to third week post op. It happened to me even though my calories were less than 500 per day. Just don't get discouraged. Not trying to be a negative nelly but just wanted to make you aware of it so you can power through it. Best wishes!

I am in that zone were I feel like I can eat anything and I am past the mushie stage... I am scared to try anything solid but today I had grilled chicken with honey bourben sauce and I was suprized that I didnt get full after a cup of it so I drank 32 oz Water and I was still hungry so I had a little more. Its so wierd becaues im not that hungry but I cant seem to get full. My first fill should be on thursday. I am in pergatory here !

I am in that zone were I feel like I can eat anything and I am past the mushie stage... I am scared to try anything solid but today I had grilled chicken with honey bourben sauce and I was suprized that I didnt get full after a cup of it so I drank 32 oz Water and I was still hungry so I had a little more. Its so wierd becaues im not that hungry but I cant seem to get full. My first fill should be on thursday. I am in pergatory here !

Jake, my doctor suggests that we try eating our 3oz of Protein, 1/2 cup of veggies, then wait 20 minutes. Then if we're still hungry to have more veggies (this is with the understanding that the veggies aren't drowning in butter or some other high calorie sauce).

Also my doctor says to wait at least 30 minutes after the meal to drink to allow what food we've eaten time to make us feel full. Drinking the 32oz of Water was a good strategy, I just can't tell from your post if you waited a bit before you drank. :)

And not to be discouraging, but sometimes it takes more than one fill to get good appetite dimming. It's not our goal to get "full" like before surgery, the goal is to feel satisfied on smaller amounts. I often have to walk away from the table and give my stomach and brain time to communicate. I can always go back for more if I'm REALLY hungry after 20 minutes.

Hang in there, it will get better. You might also read the label on that Honey Bourbon sauce.. if it has HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) or lots of sugar in it, it might be contributing to your hunger.

btw, I must tell you your name makes me smile.. I have a great nephew named Jake and Tucker is a family surname. :)

Just so you know - I hear there is commonly a stall in weight loss in the second to third week post op. It happened to me even though my calories were less than 500 per day. Just don't get discouraged. Not trying to be a negative nelly but just wanted to make you aware of it so you can power through it. Best wishes!

Thanks for this advice! I am in Week 3 and haven't lost any lbs in the last 7 days (well, keep going up and down with the same 3 lbs). I am glad to know this isn't uncommon!

Thanks for this advice! I am in Week 3 and haven't lost any lbs in the last 7 days (well, keep going up and down with the same 3 lbs). I am glad to know this isn't uncommon!

I am going through the same thing. I lost 27 lbs really quick after surgery, and now im stuck. I hope it changes. I am goingon week 3. I eat cottage cheese for Breakfast, Soup for lunch, and chicken salad for dinner. I drink my shakes between my breakfast and lunch and lunch and dinner. I hope I am eating right. My doctor really didnt give me a diet to follow. I have been getting all my information from here.

I'm two weeks post op. I really struggled with the mushy diet after the first week. But I just had my appointment yesterday and my doctor moved me to step 3 diet. He told me to slowly introduce new solid foods (one per meal). I haven't had any problems with any foods. I admit I haven't really measured or tracked my Protein very much either. I only eat on small teacup saucer plates (my eyes are always bigger than my stomach). I have to find ways to trick myself now for success later.