Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting/Being pregnant after being Banded

I'm in the process of being banded but have some serious questions about life after the band. I'm 24 and not married but my ultimate dream is to be a mother. I'm choosing to do the lap band at this point in my life so that I become healthy and can show my children how to have a successfully healthy life. However I'm nervous how to be pregnant with the band. How do you get big and pregnant fat if you can't eat much? How can you take in enough nutrients to give your child a satisfying amount? Doe that prevent you from having a c-section? or lead to more complications during labor? I know it can be done, but I want to know the dirty details about whether it's so much more difficult? If I would be better off being a fat mommy, or a banded mommy?

I'm in the process of being banded but have some serious questions about life after the band. I'm 24 and not married but my ultimate dream is to be a mother. I'm choosing to do the lap band at this point in my life so that I become healthy and can show my children how to have a successfully healthy life. However I'm nervous how to be pregnant with the band. How do you get big and pregnant fat if you can't eat much? How can you take in enough nutrients to give your child a satisfying amount? Doe that prevent you from having a c-section? or lead to more complications during labor? I know it can be done, but I want to know the dirty details about whether it's so much more difficult? If I would be better off being a fat mommy, or a banded mommy?

While I'm not planning on having any more children, my doctor brought this situation up. He said in the case that I would become pregnant or even very very ill, he would simply remove all the saline from the band for the duration of the pregnancy or illness. That would allow pretty much "normal" intake of food again. After the birth (and breastfeeding if desired) or recovery from the illness, the process of filling the band would start all over again. Hope this helps!!

I'm 21 and had the same concerns during my journey before surgery. Although every surgeon is different, and mine is more conservative, he said the same thing. All the Fluid can come out of the band to allow for good nutrition for both you and your baby. My doctor does make you sign a contract stating that you won't become pregnant until two years after your surgery so your weight can stabilize. That's one reason I chose to do mine at such a young age. You should be able to have the family you've always wanted with the band. Weight loss can even make you more fertile and therefore easier to conceive. Just something to think about, good luck! :)

Hi. I have a 3 yr old..pre-band..I was banded on July 31st 2010 and I plan on having another child in the next year or two. This was one of the first questions I asked my doctor becuase I didnt want aything to cause an issue with me having another. He said the same thing these other member responded with..when I get pregnant maybe by 2 months...he will take all the Fluid out so that I can eat more. there is a message board on here for pregnant lap banders and I read that sometimes but once I plan on getting pregnant , Im waiting for at least a year out, I will join into those conversations but I foudn that some doctors dont take it all out and leave the band filled as long as the baby is doing good and the mother can eat a enough. I read that several people that this happened to ended up getting it all taken out anyway because it just got too uncomfortable as you got further along. even though Im told its fine Im still nervous about it...im worried that something will hapen to the band while pregnant or I will get such bad morning sickness I will hurt the band...but Iv already gotten it done so I can do is trust my doctor and the other successful members who had children pre-band. One final note is that I was not a happy camper at almost 300lbs being pregnant and handling a baby...so it has to be so much easier and better for me and my child to carry at a much lower weight!! good luck to you!!

My doctor said the same as everyone else's did. I went back and forth on this and I wondered if I should wait until I have another baby to get the lapband or lose a good amount of weight prior to having a baby so that I would have less complications than I did with my daughter. My husband and I tried for several months to get pregnant prior to getting banded with no success. So I decided to get the band first and hope for the best. I have been banded for almost 6 months and I will see what happens next. Good luck!

My husband and I have been TTC for over 4 years and at 290 pounds I decided to get banded due to the fact that after trying for 4 years I did finally get pregnant and while I felt ok except being nearly 300 pounds I ended up having to deliver my son at 35 weeks with him weighing in at a whopping 4 pounds 2 oz. THis was a huge scare for us and we decided to loose weight before trying for another. I had my first fill in February and have lost a total of 54 pounds and to my suprise found out we were expecting baby number two and I am at 5 weeks pregnant. I plan to stay filled as long as possible but I have noticed my band fills loose. So I am going to just continue to watch what I eat. Hope this helps!

I havent been banded yet, but I know my Dr. told me that when one of his patients becomes pregnant, he completely unfills the band that way you can eat like you are supposed to.:)

This was my number one reason for being banded so when it came down to my information seminar I asked a lot of questions about this and was told that when and if I get pregnant I would be unfilled completely. I too had to sign a contract stating I wouldn't get pregnant for at least 2 years after being banded.

A little side note, I have PCOS which already slimmed my chances of getting pregnant. I hardly got my period but I am not even a month banded and already my period is coming back to normal. I know it sounds weird but I am really excited about it!

Good luck with everything!!!

This was my number one reason for being banded so when it came down to my information seminar I asked a lot of questions about this and was told that when and if I get pregnant I would be unfilled completely. I too had to sign a contract stating I wouldn't get pregnant for at least 2 years after being banded.

A little side note, I have PCOS which already slimmed my chances of getting pregnant. I hardly got my period but I am not even a month banded and already my period is coming back to normal. I know it sounds weird but I am really excited about it!

Good luck with everything!!!

Oh man, that is so encouraging! I also have PCOS and one of the biggest reasons I want to have the band and lose weight is to help with my fertility issues. I will go forever without a period then I will have it for weeks and weeks. (my last period lasted 7 months. 7 MONTHS of bleeding...) It is encouraging to see that you are already starting to go back to normal! :)

Oh man, that is so encouraging! I also have PCOS and one of the biggest reasons I want to have the band and lose weight is to help with my fertility issues. I will go forever without a period then I will have it for weeks and weeks. (my last period lasted 7 months. 7 MONTHS of bleeding...) It is encouraging to see that you are already starting to go back to normal! :)

I got the official diagnosis of PCOS today. I had stopped birth control before the surgery and then it never came back on it's own. I have been without a period for almost 5 months now. While I know losing weight won't "cure" it, I'm trying to stay hopefull that it will help greatly. I'm feeling pretty down about it, maybe "less of a women" sums it up. But at least I'm doing the best thing anyone with PCOS could do and getting rid of these pounds!

OMG you poor dear! I can barely stand bleeding for a week let alone 7 months! I don't have periods but once a year (if that) unless i'm on the pill. I, too, am hoping the band will make my cycles normal so my hubby and I can conceive and be healthy too!

I got the official diagnosis of PCOS today. I had stopped birth control before the surgery and then it never came back on it's own. I have been without a period for almost 5 months now. While I know losing weight won't "cure" it, I'm trying to stay hopefull that it will help greatly. I'm feeling pretty down about it, maybe "less of a women" sums it up. But at least I'm doing the best thing anyone with PCOS could do and getting rid of these pounds!

Getting diagnosed with PCOS when trying to concieve is the WORST feeling ever! I totally feel for you. I feel broken a lot as well, but I am hoping the band will help cure it, or at least make it better. My biggest fear is losing all the weight and still not being able to get pregnant afterwards! good luck! Feel free to contact me if you need to chat!

Don't forget to look around the boards ladies! There are topics on Pregnancy and the band and PCOS and the band if you go down far enough. Remember, you are not alone in these struggles!!! :)

Hey Ladies!

I haven't been on the boards in a LONG time, but it is nice to be back. I was needing a little encouraging. But, first, I will encourage you.

I was banded January 08 and Pregnant December 09, and had my little man September 2010. I had lost almost 100 pounds at that point .

I had never had any additional fills, so I'm not sure how "full" my band was, but I did not have any take on. I am pretty much at the point where I can eat "anything" again. There were no problems at all with the band and being pregnant. I was 23 when I got banded and am 25 now, this is baby #1 and wanting to start having babies was a major reason for me getting banded also.

Well, now my LO is 6 months old and I am up about 20 pounds from my lowest weight :( I am really needing to get back on track. I gained 30 pounds with him and only lost 10 after.

Anyways, I wont talk about my current struggles here...I just wanted to let you know that you can definitely be pregnant while banded and have a healthy pregnancy. I did not gain "too much" weight either so I was happy all around.

Regarding a C-Section, a C-Section incision is right above your bikini area (top of the pubic area), which is well away from the stomach, port or where the band tubing would be - so no worries about that! I have PCOS and used fertility treatments for 4 years before getting pregnant. Now that my daughter is 2, I got the Lap-Band, but we're not going to have anymore kiddos. Although, my periods have become more regular so the birth control med is a must for me.

Depending on where your weight is when you get pregnant, your OB or Reproductive Endocronologist may not want you to gain a lot of weight anyway.

My husband and I are talking about having another child. We have 2 now. I know people that have had a baby after being banded and had no problems. I'm going to talk to my Dr about it and hopefully will get the all clear. Wish me luck. And good luck to everyone who is trying!

I am right there with you girls...I to got banded in hopes I would lose enough weight to become pregnant. I don't have pcos but do to my weight I have incredibly irregular periods. I am 8 days pre-op and have lost 20 pounds and guess what/I started my period. Well we should keep in touch on our journey....my Dr wants me.to wait 6 months to a year before trying.which works out great for me because I am 31 not much time left lol