Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A little help please

Hi everyone I am looking for a wee bit of help I got banded on Dec 17th and I been on winter break ever since but I return to work tomorrow Monday. I have long days since im a school bus driver I get up at 4am and don't get home till almost 7pm on a regular day. But on days I got trips I don't get home till midnight or 12:30am. I just ended my pureed stage this week so I move on to the next one... im just trying to get ideas on how and when I should I eat and what....

And does anyone else have long days like I do also?

I would really appreciate your help

thanks everyone

Try to portion small meals concentrating on Proteins. take small bites and chew well. you might want to keep a sick bag handy just in case since you are a bus driver.

I think the best way you can stay on track is to have a cooler and lunch pack with you filled with lots of healthy food options. You can pack applesauce cups, cheesesticks, fruit cups, pudding cups, turkey or ham cut in small cubes, maybe a chopped boiled egg, Protein bars, lots of Water or unsweet drinks, small cups of tuna or chicken salad, cottage cheese, maybe some 100cal packs. You can pack some high Fiber Cereal in baggies for Snacks. If you don't have good healthy options with you so you are able to eat before you are ravenous, you will be more likely to make bad choices. If you do crave fast food, have options already planned for each place so you know what to get. I use my iPhone app to look up menus and nutrtion first. Don't forget to pack a ziploc baggy with your Vitamins and other supplements so you don't forget them! I would also have a bag handy with napkins, plastic utensils, handiwipes, maybe a few large ziploc bags in case you get sick. I always keep papaya enzymes with me now, they helped me with a stuck episode involving scrambled eggs a few weeks back.

ETA that I have rough days too, I have no fill yet and I have to fight hunger daily. I keep only good things near me so that even if I do eat over my calories for the day, its with healthy foods that are dairy and Protein rich. I don't feel as guilty. I just can't keep tempting stuff near me right now.

I have low blood sugar issues and have needed to stop while out and eat because I was not safe to drive. I think it is imperative that you space out your meals AND keep Snacks on hand in case of emergency. Snacks could be low fat cheese stick, grapes, baby carrots, individual applesauce cups (no added sugar), Premier Ready to Drink Protein Shake (160 cal 30 g protein). Remember the more hours you are up and moving the more calories you burn so never feel guilty eating enough calories to stay mentally sharp.

Bump

:-(

Today was a rough day kept getting hungry about every 2hrs I don't know why

hi,

since you just recently got banded, and are still healing, you prolly dont have any Fluid in your band, or very little, so you're not getting much restriction. this is why you're getting hungry. it may take a few fills to get you to the point where the hunger is satiated.....hang in there!

while the previous snack suggestions are healthy, what is going to keep you full longer is Protein. you need to make sure you have Snacks on hand that are Protein rich. I love cottage cheese with soy crisps, nuts, Peanut Butter......greek yogurt is packed full of protein, and you can always add Protein powder to your shakes, and yogurts......I actually add a scoop of Protein Powder and a couple of tablespoons of Peanut Butter to my shakes, and it really keeps me full for a long time...

take care!

Thank you to all.... for the ideas... I seen that someone posted that they stay under a certain amount of calories.... Am I supposed to stay under amount of calories?

The nurse at my doctor's said we don't count calories; but the Nurtitionist at the practice said to stay around 1200 per day.

A word of advice...

Take foods with you that you KNOW you can eat/drink without issue. Someone above listed grapes and carrots. Those are two foods that I absolutely cannot eat. It's different for everyone. You might not have any issues with any types of foods right now, if your restriction is low. But since you don't work in an environment that allows you to slip off to the bathroom in a case of a "stuck" episode, make sure you chew well, go super slow, and give new foods a test run at home before taking them on the road with you.

You'll find that what you can handle may change after fills as well. Foods I'd be able to eat prior to a fill would change drastically after a fill. I'd go from being able to eat an apple, to not. Or not being able to eat lettuce, to being able to eat it. It changes every time.

As far as what to eat and when, go with soft Proteins and anything on your "okay" list from your doctor. I tend to eat very small portions every 3-4 hours. But it usually takes me about 30-45 minutes to eat said portion, so I guess I'm eating every 2-3 hours. That's what works for me. It keeps me satisfied and keeps me from making bad food choices.

I work 10-12 hour days so I find that prepping the Sunday night before my work week is the best idea. I pre-bag Snacks, chop veggies for a few days, and cook one or two meal items that will give me some easy fix dinners for when I get home late and don't have the time nor the desire to make something good and healthy. Prep is the key. Saves you from going back to fast food, or snacking on bad foods. Good luck!

Thank you to all.... for the ideas... I seen that someone posted that they stay under a certain amount of calories.... Am I supposed to stay under amount of calories?

Don't worry about calories right now. As everyone has said keep small bites of food handy. i also get bottles of Isopure. One bottle has 40 grams of Protein. It has 160 calories but, one bottle , 20 oz, will last you all day. Right now it is important to get adequate fluids, Protein and Fiber so evil Constipation doesn't befall you.