Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wanting the LapBand but I have an umbilical hernia

Hi,

I'm new to the site. I have an umbilical hernia. I am wanting to get the lap band done. Do you know if the surgeon will/can fix it during my banding? I don't want to get put under two times to have two diff surgery's done. Has anyone had this done? Did it add any longer processing time? its not causing any problems but it does need to get fixed.

Thank's

I was supposed to get my lap band in November 2010 but I was diagnosed with gallstones. Surgeon said that needed to come out first. He said he would make 4 small incisions - one at my bellybutton. I told him I had a hernia there and asked if that would be a problem. He said no but he would NOT be able to use mesh just stitches but was confident the stitches would hold. So he removed the gallbladder and fixed the hernia at the same time. Being obese I had a large ball of fat that had pushed thru the hole and during the surgery he was unable to push it back -- so he cut it out--my tummy was way flatter after surgery! The only downside is that I was really sore and in pain from the repair for a few days. Hernia repair is a question for your surgeon. And also it will probably add some time to your recovery. I will say that my insurance pays for a 2nd procedure performed the same time at 100% so I ended up paying nothing for the repair. My lap band is now scheduled for Jan 14.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I changed my profile image to a molecule of protein. Why? Because I am certain that it saved my life.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • eclarke

Two years out. Lost 120 , regained 5 lbs. Recently has a bout of Norovirus, lost 7 pounds in two days. Now my stomach feels like it did right after my surgery. Sore, sensitive to even water.  Anyone out there have a similar experience?
      · 0 replies
    • Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 0 replies
    • KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches