Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Surgery Question for Nurses & Docs

Can anyone explain what's up with me? I'm calling my surgeon in a few hours. The poor guy was up till 3:00 a.m. doing my surgery and was constantly in surgery the entire time I was there. I don't want to call him at 6:00 a.m. unless it's an emergency.

I always get flu-like symptoms after major surgery that start from having the tube down my throat. I always wake up from anesthesia crying because I can't catch my breath since my chest hurts. I had my band removed 4 days ago. Today I'm getting up and down with minimal pain, and I was even able to sleep on my side last night, but I can't get rid of the fever. I'm fine as long as I take the liquid Vicodin (has Tylenol) but once the meds start wearing off the fever returns and I get the chills, that start inside my bruised belly. Last night I had to go potty at 2:00 a.m. and forgot a robe, and the chills came on so bad that they were like mini convulsions. I took the liquid medicine and was able to fall back asleep, but I'm awake now and I'm afraid I'll start shaking again if I don't take the meds. Also, everything I drink comes right out the back door. I'm having constant diareah. I'm coughing up green phlegm and also blowing it out my sinuses, so I hope it's just bronchial related, but shouldn't I be on antibitics?

Thanks for any advice or info you might have.

Sure sounds to me like you need to be on antibiotics, although I'm not a medical professional. I've always been told that if the gunk is colored it means an infection. Hope you feel better soon!

Emily

Thanks, Emily. I was on IV antibiotics for 3 days. I'm still going to call my surgeon in a couple hours to see if I should be on more.

Oh my gosh, it sounds like infection. Please keep us updated.

I'm not a nurse, but I had to comment because I have the same things happen to me too, after surgery.

I have not been babnded yet, I was sent to this board to do research. I am shocked at how many people have erosions.

I'll call my surgeon at 11:00 since the guy really needs to sleep. I know I have an infection, I just don't know if all the IV antibiotics covered it. Billy is the best surgeon I know, and he knows I had the sinus & bronchial crap going on. They gave me my last antibiotic shot straight into my IV tube right before I left the hospital, so maybe it's working and I just have to ride this out.

Just call the doc - or any doc - that's what they are there for. Infections can take over your body. My dog had a stomach bug and 24 hours later she died in the emergency vet - bacteria can multiply faster than you can imagine - don't take any chances. Call your doc. Get better!

Just becasue you had an IV antibiotic doesn't mean that it will work on your sinuses. Different antibiotics are prescribed for different conditions. And, anyone who get a fever after anesthesia if extremely high risk for malignant hypertension. And that is serious! Your anesthesiologist really needs to know this - preop! It is potentially deadly. Yes, you need to call and probbly get a different antibiotic. I am so sorry you have suffered so much. Don't let a sinus infection make you more miserable. Oh, in a previous post you said the nurses took away your blankets to let you shiver off a fever. That is the exact opposite of what should have happened. Shivering increased body temperature and we do anything we can to prevent it in the fevered patient.

Delarla..Gurl how are you feeling today??? If I am not mistaken your last post was around 5pm yesterday and that is so not like you. However, yesterday when you were posting you sure sounded like you were one sick puppy. :hurt Your symptoms were not to be taken lightly and you needed some medical TLC ASAP. Did you get that? Are you feeling any better? Please post when you can to let us all know you are okay.:cry

Hey pretty lady!! I am a medical professional (emergency nurse practitioner) and because of that I have to say call your doctor I cant give advice on the world wide web. As you fellow bandster sounds like pneumonia maybe from aspiration post extubation from anasthesia. Possibly viral soemthing you picked up in the hospital (nosocomial infection) either way do not delay you are immune compromised from the surgery and may need extra support like antibiotics. Keep us posted

Elda from Texas

I thought it was customary to send patients home with antibiotics? I know not every surgeon does it, but I thought most did???

They used to but there are so many antibiotic resistant bugs (bacterias ) out there now that we are much more conservative. Methcillin resitant staph aureus (MRSA) is an example of a microbe that is resistant to many antibiotics. It is becoming a big problem.

Elda

Forget the doctor needs his rest. You are sick and need help. It is his job to help you. Didn't I hear you say you got your band removed in the ER??? That is hard to believe. Why on earth would they remove a band (a surgical intervention) in an ER filled with bacteria (and yeh they are there). I'm a retired nurse and the easiest place in the world to get sick is in a hospital. Call your doctor. What antibiotics you got in an IV may not even be the coverage for the infection you seem to have. I won't be surprised to hear you are back in the hospital for a few days. Take care and keep us posted.