Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Smoking tests?

I'm Pre-Op. Finishing up my last PCP apt next week then will be waiting for approval.

So...I started smoking again! I am having a hard time quitting. A REALLY HARD TIME! For those of you that were smokers, and had a hard time quitting, did you tell your Dr. before surgery? DId you lie and say you quit?

I dont want to lie, i want to be honest...but i was the lapband more then anything in my life. I am still working on quitting for good...

Did they test your blood in the hospital on the day of surgery? and for those of you that did quit before surgery, how long were you smoke-free before the surgery? my surgeon wanted me to quit 4 months before the surgery date and I started the other day again! HELP!

CAN SOMEONE ANSWER ME??? PLEASEEEEEEE?

(FREAKING OUT)

I'm Pre-Op. Finishing up my last PCP apt next week then will be waiting for approval.

So...I started smoking again! I am having a hard time quitting. A REALLY HARD TIME! For those of you that were smokers, and had a hard time quitting, did you tell your Dr. before surgery? DId you lie and say you quit?

I dont want to lie, i want to be honest...but i was the lapband more then anything in my life. I am still working on quitting for good...

Did they test your blood in the hospital on the day of surgery? and for those of you that did quit before surgery, how long were you smoke-free before the surgery? my surgeon wanted me to quit 4 months before the surgery date and I started the other day again! HELP!

I know they can give you a blood test to check for a chemical from cigarettes. I would ask if they will be giving a smoking test.

Putting aside the fact that smoking is just not good for you...is your doctor or insurance company refusing to do the surgery if you're still smoking? If it's the doctor, just find another one if you really thing you aren't going to be able to quit. It's better than lying to your doctor. if it's the insurance company, well you may have to just suck it up and go cold turkey. My doctor merely mentioned in the seminar that if anyone smoked, it would be in their best interest to give it up but it wasn't a prereq to having surgery.

They did not check my blood prior to surgery. You need to quit! Not just because of the surgery but because it is so damn unhealthy. I know it's really hard- I used to smoke. It took me several tries to kick the habit for good. If you smoke up until surgery you are risking increased bleeding and I don't know what else, maybe things like high blood pressure. In short, your surgery will certainly have increased risks. Stop and stop now. Chewing gum helped me a bit. Just look at it as you have know choice in the matter, you must stop smoking in order to have a safe surgery. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

You absolutely need to tell your doctor that you smoke. Being a smoker affects your surgery and recovery, not to mention being under general anesthesia. From what other smokers have posted, some were tested before surgery. They were refused surgery if they hadn't quit. There are drugs (Chantix) and Patches to help you quit. Tell your doctor and ask for help with quitting. Good luck.

I am not a smoker but part of the process in my surgeon's office inlcuded the blood test for nicotine. And if it was positive---that was the end of the road.

The surgeons get copies of your records...they will see if your PCP reported that you were a smoker or not.

Also...as a nurse, I need to tell you that the recovery for a smoker can be complicated. In addition to the affect on your respiratory status and the risks with anesthesia, post operatively you are at risk for respiratory complications and impaired wound healing.

Not matter what...do not lie to a doctor.....they are using what you tell them to guide how they care for you and the need accurate and truthful information.

I was told by my dr and my NUT that if we had not quit smoking by the day of surgery, they would check it and send us home with no surgery. I have not smoked in 18 years, but I do remember how hard it is to quit, so Good Luck to you, but by all means QUIT for your best health.

I was a smoker and quit prior to surgery. I slipped up a few times, but still considered myself "quit". I didn't tell my surgeon and he didn't test my blood or even talk to me about smoking on the day of surgery. I have slipped up a few times since surgery as well, but I'm determined to quit. Good luck!

My doc did test me. he even told me flat out that he would test me and if i didnt quit that he wouldnt do the surgery. Ill be honest tho, as hard as it was to quit smoking, avoiding the temptation of food at the holidays was much harder. Please quit, i do understand how hard it is, i even gained 20lbs prior to surgery when i quit. maybe you should p[ostpone your surgery.

My surgeon tests for nicotine and cancels surgery if it is positive. Done deal.