Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Approval With Low Bmi???

Hi there, just wondering if there are many people out there with a low bmi (below 40) and no co morbidities that got an approval?? Just needing some positive information here :huh:

Some insurances will approve with no comorbidities but most wont. Most want you to have surgery if your taking a lot of medications for problems. Call your insurance and ask them they will tell you.

It seems that the fda panel has lowered the bmi needed. However, it has to be put in place by the fda. Keep your eyes open..Also usually with a BMI of 35-40 there is something that usually is there. sleep apnea....high blood pressure.... something.

I pray things go well for her.

When I started the process with my surgeon my BMI was 35, he recommended I not lose anymore weight to get the surgery. I had lower back pain and high blood pressure. Neither of these required me to take any medications. I followed everything I was asked to do and was approved about 8 months later. It went by really fast and I'm glad I hung in there. Good luck with your process :)

I got approved with a BMI of 32 with back/hip pain and acid reflux. I have Tricare Prime which I've heard from many people including my doctor that they're very easy to work with. I told my doctor about my back and hip pain, he already knew about my acid reflux, and about my attempts to lose weight. I got approved in about 20 days, which was a long time because I started the process right before Christmas & New Years. Good luck! I really hope you get approved!

I got approved with a BMI of 32 with back/hip pain and acid reflux. I have Tricare Prime which I've heard from many people including my doctor that they're very easy to work with. I told my doctor about my back and hip pain, he already knew about my acid reflux, and about my attempts to lose weight. I got approved in about 20 days, which was a long time because I started the process right before Christmas & New Years. Good luck! I really hope you get approved!

Girl you just made me so happy! I know I don't meet tricares requirments but I decided I was going to go ahead and try anyway. I have the same problems as you but my BMI is alot higher, I am not 100lbs overweight though and I don;t have any comorbs that tricare lists I had blood work done about 5 months ago and the doctor said everything was fine so then I was to affraid to ask for a referral. YOu gave me some hope though! Any advice?

Adrea, I'm doing this on my phone so I don't know how to reply to you directly but I hope you see this! I was honestly surprised I got approved because I'm not 100 lbs overweight, but if I got approved this easily I'm sure you will too! My advice is just go for it! Talk to your doctor and try to work something out. Tell your doctor about back pain and let him/her know you're motivated to lose weight. I'm sure you'll get approved! Best of luck!

Adrea, I'm doing this on my phone so I don't know how to reply to you directly but I hope you see this! I was honestly surprised I got approved because I'm not 100 lbs overweight, but if I got approved this easily I'm sure you will too! My advice is just go for it! Talk to your doctor and try to work something out. Tell your doctor about back pain and let him/her know you're motivated to lose weight. I'm sure you'll get approved! Best of luck!

If you don't mind me asking whats you height and weight? I think my BMI is 38 or 39 I am 5'5 or 5'6 with shoes and around 233 normally. I am sooooo happy you posted I am going for it I'm kinda a chicken I am affraid my PCM won't get me a referral and I will probably cry like a baby. I am at home visiting for a month because my husbands deployed so I won;t be able to go see my Doc for another 2 weeks so I am trying to get some extra stuff together while I am here. Yesterday I went and got my records from the doctor I had when I was younger to prove I have been overweight for so long. I also have a family history of just about everything hopefully it will help. I'm praying for a miracle. What region are you in for Tricare?

Adrea, it sounds like you have everything you need to get approved! I'm 5'5" and 200 lbs, BMI 32. I live on Camp Pendleton in CA, so good to meet another military wifey! My doc told me that sometimes Tricare requires therapy before you get approved so they can make sure you're motivated and stable enough for the lifestyle change. I was in therapy when I was younger so I think that had something to do with me getting approved. To be honest I did wear heavy clothes when they weighed me because most days I'm around 196-197 but after I eat a big meal I'm 200ish, so I wore heavy clothes so the scale would read 200. I think with the info you told me there's no reason you wouldn't get approved!

Adrea, it sounds like you have everything you need to get approved! I'm 5'5" and 200 lbs, BMI 32. I live on Camp Pendleton in CA, so good to meet another military wifey! My doc told me that sometimes Tricare requires therapy before you get approved so they can make sure you're motivated and stable enough for the lifestyle change. I was in therapy when I was younger so I think that had something to do with me getting approved. To be honest I did wear heavy clothes when they weighed me because most days I'm around 196-197 but after I eat a big meal I'm 200ish, so I wore heavy clothes so the scale would read 200. I think with the info you told me there's no reason you wouldn't get approved!

Good I hope so! I guess I'll find out in a couple weeks. I see a counselor everyweek maybe she would write a letter of recommendation and the chiropractor too. When is your surgery?

Thanks everyone...still waiting to find out. I just had my appointment the 29th of December so we will see!:huh: My bmi is 39.3...so I am close and I have borderline high blood pressure too. Isn't it sad that we look for things wrong with us in this case! I will do anything at this point so that things don't get worse!! Thanks again and best wishes to all!

Good I hope so! I guess I'll find out in a couple weeks. I see a counselor everyweek maybe she would write a letter of recommendation and the chiropractor too. When is your surgery?

Girls! You have just made me so happy!!!! I'm a military wifey as well (Ft Bragg) and was considering wether or not to talk to my doctor about surgery. I was scared I wouldn't get approved. I'm 100+ overweight and have a BMI of 42. Ya'll just put my fears at rest so on 1/11/11 when I go to my doc I'm gonna ask her about it!

Girls! You have just made me so happy!!!! I'm a military wifey as well (Ft Bragg) and was considering wether or not to talk to my doctor about surgery. I was scared I wouldn't get approved. I'm 100+ overweight and have a BMI of 42. Ya'll just put my fears at rest so on 1/11/11 when I go to my doc I'm gonna ask her about it!

Good for you! Let us know how it goes. I can't go for 2 weeks and I am alreadys super nervous!

hi,i did surgery 2 years ago at that time my BMI was 34 but doct give me approval and i did,nt do any before diet . so you can do it .best of luck

Reading this post has dropped a lot of weight off my chest (unfortunately not literally). I'm under the BMI, and was freaking out that I wouldn't be banded because I wasn't "big" enough. My BMI is only 38, however I am also being treated for high blood pressure, acid reflux, and a knee pain. It's so hard for people who aren't in that situation to know how much you want the surgery even though you don't meet their requirements. Being so close,I felt like I should just stop trying to lose weight and gain the 10 pounds I needed. Sounds insane when you think of the whole scheme of things, but I've become so nervous that I will get denied. That I'm going to be that person that they just say "Nope, sorry." and I'll be left without another option. Because for me lap-band is my last option. I've done diets, weight plans, I've worked out for hours a day, but I need something that will change my entire life!