Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my surgery one week ago and after a few days, I started itching on my back and my stomach. Then a rash appeared and since then has spread thoughout my entire body. It is small little bumps and feels dry. I have taken benadryl now for two days and it helps with the itching but the rash is still there. I also went to the doctor and he had no clue what or why I have it, only that I was having a reaction of some kind. Has anyone else had this problem? I worry that I may be allergic to the band but I have no clue what symptoms to expect if I was. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Lisa

I had my surgery one week ago and after a few days, I started itching on my back and my stomach. Then a rash appeared and since then has spread thoughout my entire body. It is small little bumps and feels dry. I have taken benadryl now for two days and it helps with the itching but the rash is still there. I also went to the doctor and he had no clue what or why I have it, only that I was having a reaction of some kind. Has anyone else had this problem? I worry that I may be allergic to the band but I have no clue what symptoms to expect if I was. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Lisa

maybe it was the pain med!! Sorry to hear that

That was the first thing we thought but I only took I stopped them on Saturday and has spread since then and there has been no improvement either.

i had my surgery dec 16 and my stomach started itching the next few days..i ask the Dr but he didnt have an answer. I think it was a reaction to the plastic tape or covering they use during surgery. the very center of my abdomen right above my belly button is very scaley now and i have to use lotion twice a day to keep it from itching..hopefully it will heal soon!

Penny

That's what I wondered....if you had an elastic band around you after surgery? Mine gave me some redness but I took it off after 4 days. It was like those back braces we used in nursing homes with the velcro.

That's what I wondered....if you had an elastic band around you after surgery? Mine gave me some redness but I took it off after 4 days. It was like those back braces we used in nursing homes with the velcro.

I did not have a elastic band around my stomach at all and the skin under the tape is not affected. Also, the rash is not just on my stomach but my entire body including my face.

Lisa

Wow, I hope you find relief soon! Hope it's an easy fix.

I did not have a elastic band around my stomach at all and the skin under the tape is not affected. Also, the rash is not just on my stomach but my entire body including my face.

Lisa

I have a rash under my breast.. right over the incision, I've been putting vaseline on it and it clears up for the moment, but the next day it comes back.. Go figure

Wow, I hope you find relief soon! Hope it's an easy fix.

Thanks,

Lisa

Hi Lisa! I too started itching about 2-3 days after surgery. 11 days after my surgery, I went in for my post of check. I mentioned to the doctor that I was itching like crazy and everyone in the room said...your incision is healing. So I thought OK...I'm healing. But then I got to just constantly scratching and had bumps and was constantly putting lotion on to sooth it. My mom happened to see my stomach and made me call the doctor to ask about it. The doc had me come in just to make sure it wasn't an infection. He seemed surprised at how red, raised and itchy I was and told me to take 2 Benedryl at night and then 1 during the day. Then he told me to put Cortizone cream on it a few times a day. It has helped. It is not completely gone, but it is better than it was. The doctor really had no idea why , but I was obviously allergic to something. Could have been the adhesive on the bandages they used. A friend of mine who is a hospice nurse said that I could be allergic to the dissolvable stitches and that she is running into that more and more. She said that she is allergic to those stitches and breaks out in a rash as well. SO hang in there. Keep taking Benedryl and try some 10% Cortizone cream. My surgery was 12/9 and it is 1/4/11 and I'm still itchy and slightly red, but jut not as bad. It's healing slowly but surely. Hope this helped!

Brenda

324/sw302/cw297/gw165

Thanks,

Lisa

I had my surgery on December 23rd, and about the fifth day after, when the steri strips started coming off, my itch and rash began, too. The itch was maddening... felt like teeny tiny bugs crawling all over me all the time, and I wound up scratching so much that I was building welts on my skin.

I went to my two week post op appointment yesterday, and my doctor told me it was an allergic reaction to the extra adhesive they use to make the steri strips super sticky. He gave me a steroid ointment (prescription), which I'm to apply three times a day. Today is day two of using the medicine, and I've already noticed a remarkable difference. I was able to sleep well without waking up itchy in the middle of the night for the first time in days, and I can only mildly feel the itch, instead of having it so bad it just about drove me crazy.

If your rash doesn't go away soon, I would talk to your doctor again, before you get your incisions infected.

I had my surgery on December 23rd, and about the fifth day after, when the steri strips started coming off, my itch and rash began, too. The itch was maddening... felt like teeny tiny bugs crawling all over me all the time, and I wound up scratching so much that I was building welts on my skin.

I went to my two week post op appointment yesterday, and my doctor told me it was an allergic reaction to the extra adhesive they use to make the steri strips super sticky. He gave me a steroid ointment (prescription), which I'm to apply three times a day. Today is day two of using the medicine, and I've already noticed a remarkable difference. I was able to sleep well without waking up itchy in the middle of the night for the first time in days, and I can only mildly feel the itch, instead of having it so bad it just about drove me crazy.

If your rash doesn't go away soon, I would talk to your doctor again, before you get your incisions infected.

It is good to hear that I am not the only one itching, but I am not sure that I can relate with your story. My rash is all over....not just my stomach which rules out the tape, elastic etc. My rash is on my face, complete arms, complete legs, complete stomach, complete back, neck, chin etc. Does anyone know what would cause that kind of rash. They are very small red bumps and is very dry.

Thanks,

Lisa

Are you on any other types of medication? My surgeon put me on pills to keep my gallbladder in check. I was allergic to this medicine and had a rash that spread everywhere as well but I didn't develop the rash until about 1-2 months of using it. The rash I had sounds similar to yours. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you're allergic to some type of medicine you got during or took after surgery.

I dealt with mine for 2 weeks then went to one of those walk in clinics, got prednisone and it cleared up in 2 days. Maybe try another doctor/go to a clinic. Cortisone and benadryl creams did nothing for me. I'd check with another doctor!

I would go see a dermatologist as soon as possible. Are you worried about scarring?

I would go see a dermatologist as soon as possible. Are you worried about scarring?

If it's a rash from an allergic reaction she won't have many if any scars at all.

My Doctor gave me some special cleanser to use twice before the surgery to remove dead skin. Did your Dr. give you anything like that???