Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Bandings....How is everyone doing?

I am just wondering how everyone is doing that was banded in December? I am feeling great!!!! Not as much weight loss as I hoped, but I am not focusing on that as much as how I feel. I lost 9 lbs and gained two back on liquids. They think my body went into starvation mode. I am looking forward to real food and hoping that will start the weightloss again. I am scheduled for my first fill 1/25. My Dr. said that she can not help until then. I have been very hungry as well. I have found that milk is good to drink because it is filling.

Hope you are all doing well and have a great New Year!!!!!

I feel better every day. Unfortunately I'm feeling hungrier every day but am keeping it in check so far. I had surprisingly little gas pain and now my only complaint is my port site gets sore.

Looking forward to first fill in late January.

Today I did my first workout since getting the band. It was great, I was in far better shape than I thought I would be. I spent 40 minutes on the treadmill and 20 minutes on the bike. On the treadmill I spent about 1/3 of the time running and the rest walking at a brisk pace. On the bike I was able to push hard for the whole 20 minutes.

I then had a relaxing hot tub and felt proud as hell. Exercise was a big part of my life in the past and I am excited that it will be again. I am down 70 lbs since the start of this journey; the first 40 came off preparing for banding and the rest since my banding.

I feel great and think that this band thing may very well be the solution I had hoped for. I know that the battle I have fought for many years is not over but I do feel that the odds have been changed in my favour.

I am not including weight loss as a new year's resolution this year, but rather I am going to focus on other things that will make me a better person. My number one resolution this year is to make sure that I let people know that I am grateful for the things they do. I plan to do this by reminding myself to say thank you as often as possible. So to get things started, even though it's not yet January 1st; thanks to everyone here at LapBandTalk.com. My Lab Band experience has been made more positive because of the words I have read in this Forum.

I have gotten way off Topic but when I start to ramble I can't stop myself. Happy New Years to all it looks like the forecast is calling for a happy and healthy 2006

My only port site pain is if I hit it. It is still bruised a bit and still healing. That is the site that they had to cut more as my body did not want to let the band in. It is still not scabbed over. We are watching it for an infection.

TommyO, it is great that you could work out. Don't you have any restrictions? I am only allowed to take small walks and no lifting over 10lbs for two months due to my complication. Great weight loss!!!!! Keep it up

My Doc said I could start to work out after 3 weeks, He said that my body would be the best guide. I am staying away from the weights and sticking to cardio. That way I won't do any damage to my stomach and the operation wounds. I know that increased muscle mass speeds up the metabolism but my legs have always been very muscular. The cardio, by working my legs, actually not only improves my cardiovascular system it quickly increases the muscle mass of my calves and thighs. I hope this will get the old metabolism running at full throttle.

Cheers

I'm feeling fantastic and I cant wipe the grin off my face. This operation has been like a magic pill to me, suddenly, all the hold food had on me has evaporated into thin air. I dont think about it anymore unless I actually get hungry.

I've ignored instructions and been back in the pool (supposed to be 4 weeks I made it 3) because it's stinking hot here in Melbourne. I swam my regular 40 laps without a problem, definitely ready for a vigorous cardio load now, although I've been going on very brisk hour long walks, I've hurt my ankle again. Note to self: my cardio MUST be non weight bearing until a lot more weight is off, I'm ready to hire a spin bike and get those spin DVD's going, go back to my Friday deep Water running class and swimming laps. I'll wait till I've seen the surgeon on 19th Jan before I go back to the gym.

My weight loss has been fantastic -well to me anway - being a lower BMI patient, it's nowhere near as startling as others have enjoyed, but 8kg in about 4 weeks (including my preop half arsed try at Optifast) is better than I've ever done before and the NSV's are coming now, people noticing, old clothes fitting, suddenly I have 4 pairs of jeans to wear again rather than just one.

Best best best thing I've ever done!

I am doing awesome!! My doctor told me that the only way I am going to loose the weight I want, is to EXCERSIZE!!!!! I didn't really wanna hear that but, I guess you gotta work for it right!!! I have lost 12 pounds and have a goal to loose another 20 by my birthday, March 5th. I hope everyone has a happy new year!!!

clipart_explosives_039.gif

I am three days out and still feeling a little yuck. I didn't really get gas pains until today and I can't stop crying. I don't know why but I am. I am hungry but I'm not. I hope by this time next week I'll be singing a different tune!

Sarabride2006,

Sorry to hear that you are uncomfortable. I know that some people have used some gas medication to help with the gas pain and heating pads. I was very hungry for about a week. I found that my protien shake and drinking lots of milk helped. Not the lowest calorie drink (chocolate milk) but filling and helpful. It does get better. I am only a few weeks ahead of you and I feel great already!!!!

Hi Everyone -

I had surgery December 28, so I'm only 3 days post-op. I have to admit I had a kinda bad day yesterday - exhausted, incisions hurt, stiff neck, leg cramps, general malaise. My first day post-op was a lot better, and I'm happy to report that day 3 is really good. I have very little incision pain, and I feel like I want to get out and start doing stuff.

Sarabride2006 - I'm so sorry to hear you're having trouble with the gas. Actually, it's not the gas that's in your system that's causing you pain, it's what's called "referred pain". The surgeons use gas to inflate your abdomen to see better during the operation. It expands your diaphragm which in turn causes neck and shoulder pain. Be sure to keep taking your pain medication as soon as it starts hurting, and use a heating pad on the area - that really seemed to help me.

I'm not even thinking of getting on the scale since I know they pumped a lot of fluids in me before, during, and after surgery, and I'm sure my body is still in shock. I will probably start to officially monitor my weight when I start on mushies in a week.

Congratulations to all us December bandsters!!

Sarabride, I agree with duckster...keep taking the pain meds, even if it's only Extra Strength Tylenol (pain is pain, whether it's referred or not). And take as long of a walk as you can - that'll help with the gas and improve your disposition as well. And I slept with a heating pad and that was great.

Hang in there. In just a few days, you'll realize that most of your symptoms have gone and you're feeling much better.

I'm 3 days post-op. I'm still fairly sore and slightly gassy. I'm getting plenty of rest. I don't have an appetite so I have to force myself to sip liquids. The first 24 hours were really tough, but I feel better everyday.

Guest Cowgirl

Hello All

I am so glad to see that someone started the December Banded babies. I am 4 days Post Op. I am same as some of you.....very gassy. But it is moving. The more I walk the better I feel. I am hungry at times. Stomach wakes me up rumbling.......AARRRRHHHHH. Thats the worst so far.

VERY GLAD I HAD THIS DONE...... It will force me to change my habits. I hope to stay in contact with all of you December 05 banders. We will travel our journey together. Glad to hear that TommyO was working out so quickly. Gives me hope. As of today I still walk slowly with a slight hump in my back because my stitches are sore.......

BY GOLLY I WILL GET THERE.....ONE DAY AT A TIME.

HAPPY NEW YEAR DECEMBER BANDED BABES!!!!!! MAY 2006 BRING US AWESOME RESULTS, HEALTH AND SUCCESS.:cheeky

Boy, I must not be doing a good job of explaining myself. I didn't mean to imply that the referred pain from the gas is not real pain - it definitely is!!! It's just that a lot of people think it's from gas still trapped in your abdomen that somehow travels north to your neck and shoulders. It's not - it's from the diaphragm expanding and there's a nerve that runs from the diaphragm to the neck and shoulders that is touched off.

It's really pain, and it can be helped by the liquid pain killer your doctor prescribed as well as a heating pad.

The other gas that travels south from your stomach to your, uh.... is from the stomach trying to get used to a new way of functioning. I'm having the same problem there.

Good luck everyone!

HAPPY NEW YEAR DECEMBER BANDESTERS. I was banded 12/6 and am feeling great. To recent bandsters - it does get better!!! Take good care of yourself. I lost quite a bit of pre-band weight, six lbs since. Find I can eat pretty much anything (except bread) just MUCH less. Didn't understand when posters would refer to head hunger/real hunger. I understand now and this is my current dilema. Very much looking forward to my first fill on Thursday. I do appreciate my band and this site.