Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 12/30, and am hungry already

I'm not in much pain, but I am hungry! I'm being a good lap-banded girl and sipping on fruit juice mixed with powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury unflavored Protein and eating 1/2 cup Jello twice a day, and sipping on homemade chicken stock, but I'm hungry! Has anyone else experienced this so early?

I was really hoping to avoid the rumbly hungry tummy. Aargh. If I take some more Tylenol with codeine, I'll slip into sleep and will be able to avoid it for a while. But man, I was hoping I'd not be hungry at ALL. Dammit, that was one of the reasons I got the band--to minimize hunger.

Suggestions, anyone? Thank you!

As for me I have figured that beinging hungry is something I haven't allowed myself to feel in so long that I'm gonna try to enjoy it. I'm 9 days post op and yes I do feel some pretty strong hunger sometimes. What I have found helps is to drink more Protein, eat a Jello cup or drink some skim milk/ soy milk. The milk really takes the edge off. Hope this helps.

Don't worry. Remember, you just had the surgery and your band won't officially be 'turned on' until you get it filled.

I lasted about 4 days on the post-op liquids before I was so hungry I wanted to eat my dog. I called my doc and he approved semi-soft items and gave me suggestions. He said that not everyone lasts the full post op time on liquids. At about 2 1/2 weeks post op I could (and wanted to) eat just about anything I wanted. I was in a panic thinking the thing didn't work. I called, once again, with my issues and they laughed that laugh of experience and told me not to worry. They reminded me that my band hadn't been adjusted yet and it was essentially "inside me but not turned on yet." After my first fill at 4 weeks post op I was off and running and hopefully you will be too.

Give your doc a call and see what he'll approve.

As for the hunger.....Don't worry. Soon you'll have that band up an running and doing it's job. :)

I have always been hungry since day one and its been a year. We never allowed ourselves to get hungry before. Its all a learning experience. I lost 70lbs with no fills just have my first fill on the 30th. When you diet arent you hungry????? Yes you are. You are dieting. The band is only a tool to let you know the right portions to eat. I have a small bowl I eat out of I got from the dollar store its about 3 to 4 oz. Thats what I fill and eat three times a day. When I started wanting more food and snacking I knew it was time for a fill. Thinking you wont be hungry is a misconception the bottom part of your stomach is still working and there. Hunger is a necessity for your body to know when to eat. I guess at about 12 days post op I added soft foods. Im back to square one again after the fill liquids for 24 hours and soft food all weekend.

More protein!! Are you getting like 60-70 grams? Also I had a lot of rumbly after surgery but it's not food, it's just gas and weird pains.

OMG Yes!!! I was banded the 27th and it has been not fun! I even resorted to my pain meds at night because the hunger pains were so severe. I am starting to take some Protein Shakes and a little bit of creamed Soup now and this helps immensely, but the first 5 days were really tough.

Guys! Don't drug yourselves to avoid hunger! Not good for you. Some pain mess can make you really constipated. Believe me, you do not want that.

Maybe have an extra Protein Shake per day. I know it is hard but keep drinking.

Guys! Don't drug yourselves to avoid hunger! Not good for you. Some pain mess can make you really constipated. Believe me, you do not want that.

Maybe have an extra Protein Shake per day. I know it is hard but keep drinking.

I was also banded 12/30 and i feel your pain, this is not a good feeling. I just keep telling myself that Thursday i get to start yogurt and applesauce. This is insane. I wonder if i made the right choice. I am going to do it though. I wanted this and i will make it work or i will starve to death. Good luck from STL.

I was banded on 12-20 and am now starting to feel hungry. The first few days I was not hungry at all, I had a hard time getting in everything I needed too. After about 4 days I started feeling hunger pains, but they were quickly eased with sf Jello or sf popsicle. I've started to really feel hungry (and stay hungry) today.. I know what the problem is though, I'm not getting in all of my Protein and need to work on that. Even though I "stay" feeling hungry if I try to eat something... like applesauce or pureed fruits I am only able to eat small amounts and feel satisfied. The satisfaction however, is not lasting as long. I have an appointment on Monday with my nutritionist and I think I will be able to movie to pureed Protein (tuna fish, chicken in a can) and am so looking forward to this!!

I hope you get some relief soon from the hunger. Hang in there, it will get better!! I'm 12 days post op and have lost 12.4 lbs. The weight loss is well worth the hunger!! ;)

When just being banded you are not filled, or if you are it is so insignificant that you can barely tell. It won't be until you've had a couple of fills (or if you're lucky one fill) that you will start feeling satisfied. Before I had my first fill I felt like it was worse than before being banded. I believe that I am at my sweet spot now and it makes such a difference. Just hang in there and it will be worth it .

I dont know why people get the misconception that they wont be hungry because they got banded. You still have a very active bottom part of the stomach that is working and not being filled. You will see a difference when you can eat real food. Yeah it sucks royally those weeks after surgery when your hungry and want to eat everything in sight but it will get better I promise. Also when you need a fill you will find yourself more hungry also. The band is not going to stop your bodies ability to be hungry.

I was also banded on 12/30 and I'm starving now too! I'm sipping Protein Shakes, brith, very small amounts if Greek yoga, Jello, very watered down cream of wheat... And I'm still so hungry! My husband cooked nachos yesterday, and I felt Like I could eat his whole plate and then some! The only thing keeping me going is seeing the lbs come off... I've lost 17 lbs over the past 2 weeks with the pre op diet and surgery... But my stomach is growling too! I feel your pain!

I am better now. I started on small rations of skim milk with vanilla and chocolate Unjury and extra dried milk (once a day). Makes all the difference; I'm not hungry and feel so much better. And I've lost 8 pounds in 5 days! (Not expecting to keep up that pace, but it is a nice jump start.)