Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my surgery consultation on Thursday Dec. 23. Everything went great and I am scheduled for surgery on January 27. I really want the band, however my surgeon also offered me gastric by-pass. I have over 100 lbs to lose and i'm only 35. His concerns are that with so much to lose and my age (possibility of needing to do a band replacement in the future) that the by-pass would be something to consider. My question is this, is it possible to work hard and lose 100lbs.? Sweets are not my vice, it's Portion Control and I have spent a long time getting myself ready for this. Did anyone else run into this type of hesitation? I just want to get going!

I had my surgery consultation on Thursday Dec. 23. Everything went great and I am scheduled for surgery on January 27. I really want the band, however my surgeon also offered me gastric by-pass. I have over 100 lbs to lose and i'm only 35. His concerns are that with so much to lose and my age (possibility of needing to do a band replacement in the future) that the by-pass would be something to consider. My question is this, is it possible to work hard and lose 100lbs.? Sweets are not my vice, it's Portion Control and I have spent a long time getting myself ready for this. Did anyone else run into this type of hesitation? I just want to get going!

Personally I would NEVER get bypass surgery unless you are 400-500 pounds and your health demanded it. What a horribly invasive procedure that you can never undo! I am not a doctor but I have worked in the medical field for 11 years and I am disgusted that your doctor even suggested this at your weight and age! I hope and pray that you do not consider anything but the band.

Please don't consider the gastric bypass. My dr. Was talking to me about the gastric sleeve. Never in a million years would I consider having 80% of my stomach removed. With the band it can be reversed. I know of people that have lost over 100 pounds with the lapband. My surgery is Jan 10th..

Hi and congrats on making the decision to better your health. I know there are so many options out there, but you have to decide what is best for you. For myself I thought about the vertical sleeve and LAP for a while. Just wasn't ready. Lap was really the only option I would consider, but wasn't sure of the success, because I knew people who had had it done but couldn't really ask them questions. Well I met a man through my son who had his Lap band placed in March 2010. He was approx 350 lbs. When I asked him questions he was very honest and very proactive working with his band. When I spoke with him last we he had officially lost 120lbs. THAT IS IN LESS THAN A YEAR!!! He looks wonderful. He has no malnutrition, his skin isn't bad, his skin color is great. He looks so so healthy.

I am not saying what to or what not to do, but I am saying look around and do alot of research before you make a huge decision to reroute anything. This is a big decision and will change your life.

I am not banded yet. My date is Jan 19th, so I am looking forward to the journey.

Good Luck!!!

Hi, I was kind of in the same situation. I have 100 lbs to lose and I am only 26. My doctor said the Vertical Sleeve would be better but Tricare doesn't cover it. He said that There's a point when the lapbanders get "stuck" and stop losing weight as they used to lose in the beginning. I don't know if that's true or not. He also said Gastric bypass could be a better option than the band but I have met a few people that after losing ALL the extra weight, they gained it back, and that scares me! So I politely said no and that my only interest was the band. Because, worse case scenario, if something goes wrong at least they can remove the band and that's it. Taking a portion of your stomach or "re-tubing" it :P it's more invasive and there's more room for a mistake and if in the future you want it reverse, you can't.

It's a personal choice, do your research and do whatever you think will be better for yourself. Doctors are wrong sometimes, your inner voice is never wrong :)

Portion Control was my problem as well (not sweets or junk at all), and the band has helped me tremendously; if I can't stop myself from eating, my band definitely lets me know it's time to stop! I was 34 at the time of my surgery, and since then I've lost 125 lbs. One more pound and I will have lost half of my pre-surgery body weight!

At my first consult the nurse commented that someone my size they often recommend bypass. When I said I only wanted the band she said that's fine it was my decision and that they have had people with the band loose more than the "average". In general I also did not see bypass as an option for me as I had a minor stroke 16 months ago and I knew my hemotologist would not support the invasiveness of the bypass. While I am still trying to be patient it is important to remember that weight loss is slower with the band. Preband I lost 50 pounds and in the 4 months since 25 more. I am just now starting to have restriction. Some people get restriction after 1-2 fills I was not that lucky. After 4 fills I am just now getting restriction. Does your doctor's program include meetings with a pscyhologist and/or group therapy sessions on "mindful eating"? I found these sessions to be really helpful. When I am eating or deciding whether I need a snack I say to myself "Am I really hungry?, or "Remember to savor eat bite. Chew mulitple times." Before this behavior modification I used to take a bite hardly chew and swallow. Now I savor all the flavors before swallowing. Try taking one raison or cranberry and chew it for 10 seconds. You will be astonished how much flavor you will notice from ONE raison. Much more than you notice when you eat a handful but only chew twice.

While I am still trying to be patient it is important to remember that weight loss is slower with the band. Preband I lost 50 pounds and in the 4 months since 25 more. I am just now starting to have restriction. Some people get restriction after 1-2 fills I was not that lucky. After 4 fills I am just now getting restriction.

That is a very good point! How patient are you? I too did not have restriction right away--it took me about six months to get to my sweet spot, and I only lost about 20-25lbs. during that time. I was prepared though--I knew the band wasn't a quick fix, and I far exceeded my goals less than two years out. Bypass was tempting because of the faster weight loss, but the other possible health effects seemed riskier to me, so I was willing to go slower with the band.

My doctor did think that the sleeve would be a better option but he was very encouraging about the Lapband also. I have alittle over 100 lbs to lose. I just was really scared to do something so drastic as the sleeve - I didn't feel I was "fat" enough for that procedure. I looked at the Lapband as something that could possible be "reversable" if needed - so if I had complications it could be fixed or removed.

I am very pleased with my decision of the Lapband, I am very happy with the amount of weight I have lost so far. I have not had any complications, only have had a few "stuck" episodes with one of them ending up "vomiting". In my experience and from what I have read on these message boards is that if you follow you doctors orders and the 'rules" of eating with the lapband you will do fine. My "stuck" & "vomiting" episodes were from my own doing - eating too fast, taking too big of bites and eating something I really shouldn't have. My friends and coworkers have been surprised that I am successfull with it - most of them have nothing but horror stories for me about people they "know" having issues with the Lapband. My husband is quite surprised at the weight loss that he is now going thru the insurance process to have it done.

Best of luck on your journey.