Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band & Me

Hello all,

My name is Ieshea and I am 33 yrs old. I was recently banded Dec 21, 2010 at a Center of Excellence in Plano, TX (Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital). My dr was Dr. Cribbins. The surgery went well (I guess); my only complain would be that I have sooooooo many questions and no one to answer them. Now maybe it's that I got it done the WEEK of Christmas so no one is accessible but when you are going through something like this someone else's day's off mean nothing to you lol.

Either way, I had no idea of what to expect. I wasn't started on my pre-surgery diet until 4 days prior to my surgery and no one warned me how it would be after surgery (the recovery process nor the length of the post surgery diet) so I'm a bit overwhelmed right now. I honestly thought I'd be nibbling on holiday Snacks by now ... NO idea that I'd not be eating for 6 WHOLE weeks. I mean if not eating "real" food was not an issue for me I would NOT have needed the lapband, right? RIght.

I've been faithful to my liquid diet in fear of messing something up but it's so difficult knowing what is and is not acceptable to eat. I know that I have not been drinking the right amounts bc I do feel hungry and I get heart burn from all the gas built up from me not eating; however, when I do drink something I feel "funny" not quite nauseous but not well either. Anyone else experiencing that?

I start the full liquid diet tomorrow and I was sooooo very excited until I see more confusing information (my biggest frustration with this whole ordeal has been the lack of information provided to me). What is full liquid diet acceptable?? Some say I can have oatmeal and grits, etc but some say I can't have that for another 2 wks. So I'm on shakes & yogurts & Clear liquids for 2 more weeks????

Additionally, since my surgery I have had pain but refuse to take pain meds (I hate them) but noticed today that I have bruising on my stomach where I believe I must be hurting myself at night lying on my stomach and turning and pulling unconsciously. Is this common?

Anyway, didn't mean to say that much; I look forward to meeting wonderful people in this group.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!

I had my surgery in Dec. 16 and I was hungry from the minute I woke up! I am eating everything but meat right now. I have no restriction at all. I did liquids for the first 4 days then went to soft food. It's been hard over the holidays. My boys are home for xmas and I have a lot of food around the house I wouldn't typically have.

I've been forcing myself out of the house for 30 min. walks once or twice a day even though it's been pretty cold. I plan on rejoining my gym and doing getting back into weight lifting, spinning and rowing later this week. Right now my stomach still hurts when I sneeze or bend, so I'm thinking that the pressure from weight lifting might not be good for it right now.

Good luck on your journey. I can't wait for my first fill. I need restriction!!!!!!!

Hello all,

My name is Ieshea and I am 33 yrs old. I was recently banded Dec 21, 2010 at a Center of Excellence in Plano, TX (Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital). My dr was Dr. Cribbins. The surgery went well (I guess); my only complain would be that I have sooooooo many questions and no one to answer them. Now maybe it's that I got it done the WEEK of Christmas so no one is accessible but when you are going through something like this someone else's day's off mean nothing to you lol.

Either way, I had no idea of what to expect. I wasn't started on my pre-surgery diet until 4 days prior to my surgery and no one warned me how it would be after surgery (the recovery process nor the length of the post surgery diet) so I'm a bit overwhelmed right now. I honestly thought I'd be nibbling on holiday Snacks by now ... NO idea that I'd not be eating for 6 WHOLE weeks. I mean if not eating "real" food was not an issue for me I would NOT have needed the lapband, right? RIght.

I've been faithful to my liquid diet in fear of messing something up but it's so difficult knowing what is and is not acceptable to eat. I know that I have not been drinking the right amounts bc I do feel hungry and I get heart burn from all the gas built up from me not eating; however, when I do drink something I feel "funny" not quite nauseous but not well either. Anyone else experiencing that?

I start the full liquid diet tomorrow and I was sooooo very excited until I see more confusing information (my biggest frustration with this whole ordeal has been the lack of information provided to me). What is full liquid diet acceptable?? Some say I can have oatmeal and grits, etc but some say I can't have that for another 2 wks. So I'm on shakes & yogurts & Clear Liquids for 2 more weeks????

Additionally, since my surgery I have had pain but refuse to take pain meds (I hate them) but noticed today that I have bruising on my stomach where I believe I must be hurting myself at night lying on my stomach and turning and pulling unconsciously. Is this common?

Anyway, didn't mean to say that much; I look forward to meeting wonderful people in this group.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!

Hi Iesha, I am sorry to hear you are having complications. I pray that it gets better for you. I think because of the holidays you are having a difficult time with getting the staff @ Dr. Cribbins. Contact them first thing in the morning to get the answers you need. I am schedule for surgery on 1/7 with Dr. Cribbins. I am very excited and scared at the same time. I am so ready for the new journey in my life.

Contact the office - voice your concerns. My doctor is Dr. Hamn - same office. I was banded in June. Strange that you feel you were not prepared - I felt they did a great job with the information.

Yes, the 6 weeks of "full" liquid diet sucks - but you can get thru this. You can have oatmeal & grits on their plan - just make sure they are really thin & runny. The other thing is make sure you are getting the required Protein in. The only Protein that I like is the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury brand - they do sell it in the office and over at the pharmacy at Presby Plano but it is expensive - you are better off ordering it online. Ask Dr. Garza for a sample of the chocolate flavor. I didnt care for the chicken broth, only use the strawberry mixed in lemonade crystal lite.

Take your pain meds - horrible tasting, but at least you can get some good sleep at night. I did have some bruising around the port incision but I think that was due to the actual procedure. You are lucky if you can sleep in other positions besides your back - it took me almost 2 weeks to be able to sleep on my side.

I'm not an expert but feel free to contact me if you have questions.

I had my surgery on 12/14 with Dr. Hamn. I saw Dr. Garza for 6 months pre op and had got tons of info from them. Also, there's another site that is great for getting quick responses and support. www obesityhelp com