Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you wish you brought more

Did anyone wish they thought of bringing anything after they got to hospital?:o Something you wish you had after the surgery? I'm preparing what I will be bringing on Tuesday when I go.

Nah--I really didn't use anything i took with me, other than lip balm.

I wish I had brought less. You dont spend that much time there so you dont need that much. I traveled alone so it was a pain to bring everything back home by myself. Here is a good list of things to bring

http://alienbanditinkorea.wordpress.com/2010/01/22/surgery-tips-and-first-photo-of-me/

I also traveled for my surgery alone and wished that I had a lighter bag. I just had a small carry on, but the flight attendant was a real turkey when I asked for help in putting it in the overhead bin. He tried to tell me that I had too many bags because I had my travel pillow and a travel blanket tied to the top of my carry on bag. They also took away my crochet hook on the way home... have been traveling all over before and after 911 and have never had a hook or scissors taken away before.

Less is more...

Did anyone wish they thought of bringing anything after they got to hospital?:o Something you wish you had after the surgery? I'm preparing what I will be bringing on Tuesday when I go.

No. I took as little as possible. Mine was done out patient. I was banded in July and I wore a loose calf-length dress and sandals -- nothing else.

The only thing I took extra was my new medical alert necklace that I was excited about wearing (it is part of my learning to accept the band, not required to have ).

Be sure to take a small pillow in the car to help cushion the seat belt for the ride home!

Congratulations on your decision to be banded and jumping through all the hoops successfully!

~hiddn

No. I took as little as possible. Mine was done out patient. I was banded in July and I wore a loose calf-length dress and sandals -- nothing else.

The only thing I took extra was my new medical alert necklace that I was excited about wearing (it is part of my learning to accept the band, not required to have ).

Be sure to take a small pillow in the car to help cushion the seat belt for the ride home!

Congratulations on your decision to be banded and jumping through all the hoops successfully!

~hiddn

Thanks star, and thanks everyone for all the help. I think I will take enough for one night just in case. Maybe at the pre-op on Monday they will give me a better idea of my stay. I've got my pantry ready for a start anyway! Now the days need to go by quicker! lol

I brought very little with me. I had the clothes I wore to the hospital, my wallet, cell phone, a bottle of Water and I left a pillow in my car for when I was driven home to hold against my chest/stomach area.

i'd just say wear like loose gym pants and maybe flip flops, because it's really painful and hard to move around after surgery, have something easy to put on.

After I wasn't hungry or wanting anything resembling food or Protein Shakes, I just wanted Water, because I was so dry. Make sure you have tons of it on hand at home.

Hospital should give you everything else you need. Gas will alleviate by walking around.

I brought very little with me....robe, pony tail holder, et.c, lip balm and mouthwash was key! I was back in my room by 11am but didn't get my post-op upper gi until 2pm so I was not able to drink anything so my mouth so very dry for so long. I could swish & spit the mouthwash and used the lip balm otherwise, I would of been miserable.

weight.png

Less is best. You really don't need much. The only clothing I brought was what I wore into the hospital that morning. I did bring my own toiletries. I just wore the hospital gown during my stay - it was easiest with the IV. I brought flipflops also - great for walking, I had to wear the TED hose and the flipflops worked perfectly - you can slip the end of the hose over your toes. Any medications should be ordered by the surgeon - he should come talk to you before wheeling into the OR - just ask him at that time what meds he as ordered postop for you and make your requests. Walking is going to be the best thing for gas pains - the gas pains didn't really bother me until I was at home on Day 2. The hospital should provide your "meals" - broth, juice, Water, etc - I was allowed unlimited water but only up to 2 ounces of juice/broth every hour and honestly those first few days I had to force myself to meet the minimum requirements of taking in fluids.

I work as a nurse in pediatrics - it always cracks me up at how much useless stuff people bring to the hospital for their stay.