Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Maybe I'm just not used to things going smoothly, but here goes: so I had my nutrition class, psych eval and surgical consult all this afternoon. The nutrition class a little haphazard and not too well put together for what I was expecting. The psych eval consisted of an addiction's therapist (they said it's cheaper that way) asking a couple of questions on a sheet and running off. I actually had to keep asking HIM questions because it all felt so rushed. The surgical consult was a LITTLE better, but the doctor still zoomed through his speech. (It WAS very informative, however). Long story short, everyone thinks I'm an excellent candidate and should have no problems getting insurance approval and wanted to schedule for surgery on 12/23. Meaning I'd have to start my 2 week diet TOMORROW, according to them. I told them it felt a little rushed and needed some more time to wrap my head around the fact this may be actually happening and went with 1/10. I start my diet 12/27.

While this is going totally according to my idealized plan (I wanted to be banded no later than Valentine's Day), I guess I just didn't think it'd be THAT fast. Did anyone else feel rushed once the ball got rolling or am I being whiny? I apologize in advance to all of you guys who have to wait 2-6 months for everything...

Wow they are really shoving you through. I thought I was rushed getting rushed having only 4 weeks to get through everything. Seeing your dr one day and starting the liquid diet the next seems a bit fast good choice going with the later date.

WOW. That is fast. I have been going to appointments since November and classes will not be done until January than I will get a surgery date. I think I would have postponed the surgery too. I'm still shock of reading your post.

Maybe I'm just not used to things going smoothly, but here goes: so I had my nutrition class, psych eval and surgical consult all this afternoon. The nutrition class a little haphazard and not too well put together for what I was expecting. The psych eval consisted of an addiction's therapist (they said it's cheaper that way) asking a couple of questions on a sheet and running off. I actually had to keep asking HIM questions because it all felt so rushed. The surgical consult was a LITTLE better, but the doctor still zoomed through his speech. (It WAS very informative, however). Long story short, everyone thinks I'm an excellent candidate and should have no problems getting insurance approval and wanted to schedule for surgery on 12/23. Meaning I'd have to start my 2 week diet TOMORROW, according to them. I told them it felt a little rushed and needed some more time to wrap my head around the fact this may be actually happening and went with 1/10. I start my diet 12/27.

While this is going totally according to my idealized plan (I wanted to be banded no later than Valentine's Day), I guess I just didn't think it'd be THAT fast. Did anyone else feel rushed once the ball got rolling or am I being whiny? I apologize in advance to all of you guys who have to wait 2-6 months for everything...

I am wondering why they are in such a rush to get you in. It concerns me that the nutrition was haphazard and that the counselor was so rushed. This is an important decision for you and it is great to be organized, but aren't most of the doctors booked out further than that? Sorry to be negative, but I am concerned about this as are you.

I am wondering why they are in such a rush to get you in. It concerns me that the nutrition was haphazard and that the counselor was so rushed. This is an important decision for you and it is great to be organized, but aren't most of the doctors booked out further than that? Sorry to be negative, but I am concerned about this as are you.

No, not negative at all; I'm a bit curious myself. Don't get me wrong; I have a book full of info provided to me at the nutrition consult. The dietician leading however was a bit scatterbrained so I'm going to read over everything again myself. According to one of the nurses they have a big lull in January which is why scheduling is so easy. The surgeon says he averages 175-200 bandings alone a year; not a lot I know but I also live in Montana so with such a low population that's a good a

number in my opinion, not to mention there are 2 other doctors in the same hospital who also do the surgery so I'm sure they split cases.

I personally think I'm a bit shell shocked because the last time I had to get a surgery the doctor was also quick about scheduling but I had to fight my insurance company for literally 2 years before approval. Thanks to you guys on here I've gotten a TON of info and know where to look to find more so while I'm confident about having the surgery, I'm not too keen on being thrown in there, so to speak.

It scared me too! I saw one surgeon and I just wasn't comfortable with it. So I went to another on a recommendation and I felt much better about it. Overall it's just not that complicated of a process. I had major surgery for some other issue a few years ago and it's pretty instant they get these things together. I think it just scares us to have it happen so fast.

My nutrition was pretty quick too. I feel like I'm learning as I go along. There is SO much information, I just consult the guide book when I have a question, and I can call them if I have a problem. It seems to me the first few weeks are hard, but after that when you are on real food, its pretty much normal. You are just eating less obviously, and staying away from junk food.< /p>

That seems strange to me. I wasn't rushed through anything (appointments, multiple meetings with my surgeon, meetings with members of his team etc) and felt that I had all my questions answered, my surgeon knew my history very thoroughly, I was familiar with all the members of the surgical team etc...

One thing I would think about: Lapband requires so much follow-up. Meaning you'll need to have a longterm relationship with your surgeon, and the members of his staff/office. If you are comfortable with him and his staff despite how hasty/disorganized/disinterested (or whatever else) they have been, then go for it. If you feel the least bit uncomfortable, I would run the other direction and fast.

Melzie it's easy to get a little overwhelmed - especially when you know your surgery is now around the corner - I think what you've experienced is expedited, yes - but should not raise any flags... like you said - be grateful - that's awesome you're getting in quick! You'll be thankful for it later when you're on the path to weightloss! ;)

I had a appointment with my doctor on Nov 30th and if all goes well, I'll have surgery on Dec 21st. I just need to wait the 24-48 hours to make sure insurance approves it. I didn't feel rushed because I'm sure this is what I want to do. I did research on my own for a month a head of time. Sometimes it is just quick (maybe depending on insurance requirements?). I wonder if no one wants to get banded before Christmas?

Good luck!

I had my consult Nov 25 and could have had surgery Dec 14. That was too quick for me so I opted for January 4th. However, I called back the next day and bookedfor Dec 21st...he only does the procedure on Tuesdays. I'm through day 3 of pre-op and can't wait for the 21st.

Do what you're comfortable with and all will be well

The reality is that it really all comes down to what you want. The psych eval is merely a formality required by most insurance companies. I thought it was to determine whether we would be a good candidate. My insurance company said it was just a formality to make sure we weren't suicidal or suffering from severe depression. I translate that to, "if you go to a shrink and they clear you for surgery and you actually do commit suicide, we're in the clear on a lawsuit". B)

Ultimately, it should never be up to anyone but us, so if you feel like this is moving forward a little too fast, then haul in the reins. Move at your comfort level. If you need more time, take it.

Me going with a later date actually worked out for the best; my mother in law isn't doing so well so my husband's flying out to see her on Christmas Eve. I would have had to reschedule anyway, so it's all good now. Just got approved by insurance, so now getting ready to order my Unjury! :P

mine was quick too. i start consult in september. evals in october. sleep study in november. was waiting on insurance and got a call it would be after the first of the year. then got a call the next day saying the insurance went ahead and approved. she said i was scheduled for the 21st and i would begin my pre-op on the 10th and be in for education on the 15th and surgery on the 21st. a bit overwhelming yes but so ready for this journey for a healthier me. God Luck!

mine was quick too. i start consult in september. evals in october. sleep study in november. was waiting on insurance and got a call it would be after the first of the year. then got a call the next day saying the insurance went ahead and approved. she said i was scheduled for the 21st and i would begin my pre-op on the 10th and be in for education on the 15th and surgery on the 21st. a bit overwhelming yes but so ready for this journey for a healthier me. Good Luck!