Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone have overnight stay day of surgery?

My surger pre-op is tomorrow and I had a call from the hospital today to get some information. During the call I was told that the doctor has requested a room for me to stay overnight. Of couse she didn't know why. I will see the dr for pre-op instructions tomorrow afternoon but I'm worried about why he'd arrange for me to stay overnight for outpatient surgery. I am diabetic and on insulin....could that be why? Anyone else have to stay overnight and why?

Being a diabetic could be his reasoning. Just ask. I didn't stay overnight. I got to the hospital at 6:30am and left the hospital about 11:30am. I was in and out. But I did have to have my blood typed which means they were ready if I needed blood. I didnt know why and neither did the staff. It ended up just being something the Dr started doing "in case". I do know I didn't eat much for a few days and that my cause an insulin issue for you. Just ask. Congrats on the surgery.

I had no other issues other than being over weight but I did stay overnight also. I am glad I did as I had a hiatal hernia repaired also and was in need of pain medication. I was just banded 11/29/10 and recommend that you get up and walk as soon as they let you. The more I walk, the better I feel. Good luck and hang in there.

My surger pre-op is tomorrow and I had a call from the hospital today to get some information. During the call I was told that the doctor has requested a room for me to stay overnight. Of couse she didn't know why. I will see the dr for pre-op instructions tomorrow afternoon but I'm worried about why he'd arrange for me to stay overnight for outpatient surgery. I am diabetic and on insulin....could that be why? Anyone else have to stay overnight and why?

Being a diabetic could be his reasoning. Just ask. I didn't stay overnight. I got to the hospital at 6:30am and left the hospital about 11:30am. I was in and out. But I did have to have my blood typed which means they were ready if I needed blood. I didnt know why and neither did the staff. It ended up just being something the Dr started doing "in case". I do know I didn't eat much for a few days and that my cause an insulin issue for you. Just ask. Congrats on the surgery.

I stay an I love it!!! I don't have any medical problem. But I did like the fact u got xtra care. The shots they gave to help keep your blood thin the leg thing you wear to keep the blood flowing. I love my nurse checking up on me got me moving around. If Iwould have went home I would have not gotten all that pampering. I had no problem when I came home. I had gas but it was not bad. I am now 2 weeks and 2 days now. Oh yea the next day I did my barium swallow doc came by twice to check on me. I love my doctor and his pa they r awesome. Anyway the best of luck to u and don't worry to much about the stay.

I stay an I love it!!! I don't have any medical problem. But I did like the fact u got xtra care. The shots they gave to help keep your blood thin the leg thing you wear to keep the blood flowing. I love my nurse checking up on me got me moving around. If Iwould have went home I would have not gotten all that pampering. I had no problem when I came home. I had gas but it was not bad. I am now 2 weeks and 2 days now. Oh yea the next day I did my barium swallow doc came by twice to check on me. I love my doctor and his pa they r awesome. Anyway the best of luck to u and don't worry to much about the stay.

After surgery my doc gave me the option of staying or going home. I chose to stay. My mom is a nurse so I would've been okay at home but I just liked getting meeds via IV and should something go wrong in the night, I would be in the hospital already. I liked staying over.

My surgery is scheduled for the 16th. I am staying overnight. I don't have any medical problems/issues but my surgeon keeps all her patients overnight. I'm okay with that.

My doctor keeps everyone "overnight". As long as you are there 23 hours or less it is not considered a "day" by the insurance company.

I also stayed 1 night - wouldn't go as far as "loving" it but I would rather have stayed than go home that first night & I would recommend it. I didn't have any other problems besides being obese. It was nice having someone care for me, it was easier getting in/out of the hospital bed, & my pain was well controlled. I think I would have been miserable if I were at home that first night.

I stayed over night. My doc requires all patients to stay at least 1 night. After that night my doc asked me to stay another night because I had too much gas in my lungs and he thought they would collapse but I had to go home and go back to work.

I'm glad I stayed overnight as I live alone so it would have been a challenge since I never told anyone about my surgery.

I also stayed overnight, that is just how my surgeon does it. I could have stayed two nights if I had wanted to - I was self pay.

There is a measure of control if you are in the hospital - and I was glad to be there.

I have the option of staying overnight which I intended on doing if they let me; why not? If your insurance will cover it then consider it more time for guidance and 'pampering", if you will. I really want to stay just so I don't have to go back the next day for the barium test; from past experience I know riding in the car after surgery is awful.

I stayed over night and sure glad i did because they helped manage my pain. I think its a good thing if you do.

I stayed over night and sure glad i did because they helped manage my pain. I think its a good thing if you do.

I had no co-morbidities or other health issues and also had to stay overnight. It's the standard for my surgeon.