Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Federal employee insurance

I am a federal employee and am starting the process for approval beginning with the doctor supervised diet. Right now I have NALC which uses the Cigna network to approve procedures. They require a 6 mo doctor supervised diet. It is open season right now and I can change plans to BCBS which covers the procedure and only requires a 3 mo doctor supervised diet. The health plan cover of both are comparable so I was wondering if anyone have expereience with trying to obtain approval from BCBS abd Cigna that might help me make my decision.

Thanks!

Hi,

I was approved by Cigna (six business days after sending paperwork) and was quite surprised because I heard several times that they wouldn't approve me for the surgery and they had turned down several others. I think the thing that really did it was (other than the 6 mos diet) that I sent several recommendation letters. I have also heard on this website that BCBS is most likely quicker than Cigna to approve the surgery. If you do go with Cigna and decide to have the surgery, be sure to call and see if the surgeon you plan to go with (and the hospital he will perform the procedure at) is covered. I knew all of this before I sent the paperwork.

Now, lol, I have a question for you. I am currently in the process of looking for new work and have applied for some fed jobs but with no success. Do you have any secrets for getting in to the federal government. I hear that it is a great place to work. Thanks and best of luck to you in regards to your approval and surgery.

I was approved by BCBS within a couple of days after they received my info. They did not require me to do the pre-diet and I did not have any medical issues. Only the obesity. Good luck!

I have BCBS Federal as well. I am just beginning my journey---Seminar November 17 and first appointment with the surgeon tomorrow YAY! The coordinator at my surgery center said that BCBS federal is one of the easiest insurance companies to go through. I hope this holds true. I am right on the borderline with a BMI of 40, and no documented co-morbidities other than joint/muscle pain and depression (not sure if this even counts).

Good Luck with your decision

Hi,

I was approved by Cigna (six business days after sending paperwork) and was quite surprised because I heard several times that they wouldn't approve me for the surgery and they had turned down several others. I think the thing that really did it was (other than the 6 mos diet) that I sent several recommendation letters. I have also heard on this website that BCBS is most likely quicker than Cigna to approve the surgery. If you do go with Cigna and decide to have the surgery, be sure to call and see if the surgeon you plan to go with (and the hospital he will perform the procedure at) is covered. I knew all of this before I sent the paperwork.

Now, lol, I have a question for you. I am currently in the process of looking for new work and have applied for some fed jobs but with no success. Do you have any secrets for getting in to the federal government. I hear that it is a great place to work. Thanks and best of luck to you in regards to your approval and surgery.

krasc001,

Thanks for your feedback on Cigna. I don't know of any secrets to federal employment. I have been with my agency 23 years and hired on after taking the old Civil Service test which they got rid of years ago. Usajobs.gov is the best site to monitor for job postings.

I have BCBS - but it's not federal.. a local government plan. I was approved in 11 business days. Granted it was also during the thanksgiving holiday. I've been happy with BCBS but I have heard good things about Cigna as well. Good luck!

I have federal BCBS. I was approved in one day. I have not had to do any any doctor supervised diets. I also only had not other health problems besides being fat. The while process has been very easy.

Kristenhope,

Do you mind me asking what your BMI was when you filed for approval with BCBS federal?

I have a BMI of 39.6, the surgeon's office rounded it up to 40. I will be submitting for approval in a few weeks and am nervous about approval. The office staff doesn't think it will be a problem, but was wondering about your experience.

Thanks

I had a fantastic experience with Federal BCBS. My BMI was 43 BUT I was figuring my BMI based on me being 5'8" with gave me a BMI of 40. Once the doctors office measured me they said I was 5'5". This put me at BMI 43. Fed BCBS will approve you as long as you have a BMI of 40 OR if you have other comorbities - sleep appnea, diabetes, acid reflux. i did not have any problem except being fat.

The insurance did not cover the dietitian - the fitness Fed BCBS.. The fee for my fills will only be $30 copay. Good Luck hope this helped! Feel free to ask any questions!!

Thank you so much! I'm at a point where if I do not get approved I will do self pay (this surgery is so important to me), but it would be amazing to be approved!

Has any one had GHI and BCBS? I havn't went to any appt.yet but I have went to a siminar and got a lot of info and I called the dr. office and she had me to start a 6 month diet ,I am on my 2nd month with my supervised diet by the time I go to my office visit on the 10th of Janurary it will be my 3rd month and I also have my referal...the nurse made sure that I was ahead of myself in getting my stuff ready...

I've heard that starting Jan 1st 2011, federal blue cross will be doing like all the other insurance companies. You will have to go through the 6 month surpervised diet and the whole nine yards