Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Elliptical question

I've been doing 2 miles on the ellipitical and by the end my feet are extremely tingly. Does this happen to anyone else? I'm wondering if I need to wear a different type of shoe, maybe a running shoe? Any suggestions?

Yes, it happens if I go more than 25 min on it non-stop. I am not sure how many miles that is but I decided to do 20 min go get on another machine for 20min and then I come back around and do another 20 min on the elliptical and that makes it easier.

Pre surgery I would do it and my right foot gets numb after about 20 minutes. Had food checked out nothing wrong. Make sure you are wearing the right kind of shoes.

This happens to me too sometimes. Ive started using this thing called an cybex arc trainer. I actually like it much better than the elliptical and its a better workout. And its more comfortable for my feet.

we have an ellipse and it kills my feet. I have high arches and even w/ inserts and proper shoes, I can't do more than 15 minutes without it starting to hurt.

I find the higher the resistance the more tingling I feel in my feet when using the elliptical. Also I am right handed and must push harder with my right foot becuase it hurts more than my left foot. Additionally it is weight bearing and the more weight I lose the less my feet tingle.

You could consider lowering the resistance but exercising for longer.

I've been doing 2 miles on the ellipitical and by the end my feet are extremely tingly. Does this happen to anyone else? I'm wondering if I need to wear a different type of shoe, maybe a running shoe? Any suggestions?

Same thing with me, but my most intense part of the elliptical workout is 20 minutes in, and I am basically sprinting. Instead of going heal to toe, which is normal, this part of the workout I catch myself so focused on the intensity that I am on my toes for the last 10 minutes. This causes my feet to tingle as well, so I have to concentrate on stepping correctly to keep that from happening. After the sprint, which is still slow for other people around me (I don't care), I do a 5 or 6 minute cool down, and my feet go back to normal again. It's all about blood flow. Regarding your shoes, I don't know what you are wearing, but I like a good running shoe because of the cushion. Even though the elliptical is low or little impact, you are on the thing for 30 minutes or more, so you do need good cushioning.

My elliptical has foot petals that can be adjusted, can you do that? Now, that said, it's hard to adjust and sometimes it doesn't get done depending on who was on it last. I have found that if you keep going through the workout the tingling feet will go numb and problem solved. :D Seriously though, i've been on it faithfully since the beginning of November and i notice it less and less these days. More often when i've skipped that for a few days and have done zumba instead. The post regarding stepping heal to to instead of toe to heal makes good sense though. I'll bet i do that too...toe to heal. Hmmmm

I move my feet around on the pedal / platform even to the extremes of standing in the lip of the platform with the balls of my feet. I make a change in my positioning about once every two minutes. This keeps the tingling to a minimum and allows me to work different muscle groups in the legs.

I swear I have gone around the world twice on that dam elliptical. Its a love hate relationship, but my legs are incredibly tone ad powerful as a result. The rest of me not so much.

I did finally get some good running shoes. When I talked to the store about my feet getting tingly they suggested a good running shoe. It seems to help, they also said not to have them tied too tight. These new shoes have also been much kinder to my feet while running . :rolleyes: