Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sore after working out with weights...

MaggieB
Sign in to follow this  

I signed up for 3 training sessions at the gym just to teach me how to use the equipment and to correctly show me the exercises I should be doing to tone up. Started this week - OMG I am sore. These may be stupid questions, I probably should ask the trainer - but am I always going to be sore after I do these workouts? Am I gradually going to get used to this? Once I am working out and no longer feeling sore afterwards, do I start to increase the weights or reps? The trainer mentioned alternating my workouts between weights & cardio - today should be a weight day, my arms and abs are still sore, I just dont see myself doing the weights today..maybe I am just being a wimp and need to suck it up.

Yes, it's normal to be sore.

Yes it will get better, but you will still feel some soreness. That's how you know you're actually doing something.

Yes you will increase the weights once you can comfortably lift what you are lifting now. The point is to keep on pushing yourself.

In addition to alternating weight and cardio you should be working out different muscles and body parts each day. Say upper body Monday and Thursday and then lower body on Wednesday and Friday. That way you give the muscles more of a chance to recover.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

I signed up for 3 training sessions at the gym just to teach me how to use the equipment and to correctly show me the exercises I should be doing to tone up. Started this week - OMG I am sore. These may be stupid questions, I probably should ask the trainer - but am I always going to be sore after I do these workouts? Am I gradually going to get used to this? Once I am working out and no longer feeling sore afterwards, do I start to increase the weights or reps? The trainer mentioned alternating my workouts between weights & cardio - today should be a weight day, my arms and abs are still sore, I just dont see myself doing the weights today..maybe I am just being a wimp and need to suck it up.

You should always be a little sore after a work out. (though maybe not as sore as you are at the beginning) Apparently the soreness after weight lifting is from little tiny tears in the muscle fibres. The muscles have to tear so they can grow. This is a good thing. I had a trainer for about 6 months about 10 years ago and have done weights and the gym thing up until a year ago. My routine was either

a) legs, back, biceps and cardio on day 1

chest, shoulder, triceps and cardio on day 2

day 3 - day off

then repeat

or

B) full body weights work out and cardio on day 1

day 2 - day off

Some people advocate taking 2 days off between weights, but of course, cardio can be done every day.

You should also vary your weights workouts. Some days you should do heavy weights with fewer reps. Some days lower weights with more reps and some days in between. Mix it up so your muscles don't get used to it.

Hope that helps.

Good replies! This sensation is DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness)... It's a normal and good thing - as you progress this sensation will become harder and harder to achieve.

Brad

You should always be a little sore after a work out. (though maybe not as sore as you are at the beginning) Apparently the soreness after weight lifting is from little tiny tears in the muscle fibres. The muscles have to tear so they can grow. This is a good thing.

My charming 13 yr old was very proud to say the other day... "mom, you've been working out, of course you are going to be sore. you are ripping your muscles so they can regrow. Keep it up, it's supposed to hurt for a while". I don't know what i love more, the fact that he pays attention in school & to his coaches to know that OR the fact that he notices i am working out and looking more fit! :)

I can confirm Bam Bam's comment about the soreness becomming harder to achieve. Relish it while you can. I had gotten to the point where my weight lifting no longer achieved soreness no matter how much weight I use. I then started drastically changing my routine working new muscle groups with new techniques, only occasionally visiting the old standby's. I now hurt so f'in bad I can barely get out of bed in the morning.. Man I love it.

Now if only I could get my sweet tooth under control I might actually start seeing results again.

You will always be a little sore after a good weight workout. If you are not a little bit sore the next day, you probably didn't work out hard enough. Being sore is a good sign that you gave your muscles a good workout!

I have been doing pilates for 2 1/2 years. I still find it very challenging, and I still get very sore after my sessions.