Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Endoscopy results/hernia/bacteria...arghh!

Hi, My surgeon requires tons of pre-testing before getting the band. One of these tests, the endoscopy, revealed a hiatal hernia. He said he would fix it during the band surgery and it would be fine. But, he also did a stomach biopsy and today I got a letter in the mail stating that I have helicobacter pylori which is a bacteria that can cause ulcers. He wants me to go on two weeks of antibiotics to eliminate this bacteria and enclosed a prescription with the letter. Here is my problem: I just finished a course of antibiotics for a sinus infection, and I have chronic yeast infections. In fact, I am on an anti-yeast protocal for six months of Diflucan to try and eliminate my chronic yeast. Last week, I saw my yeast doctor and he took a culture. His office called me three times earlier in the week and I have been trying to get back in touch with them to no avail. I am assuming they are going to tell me that they found some non-albicans strain on my culture (due to the course of antibiotics I took; Diflucan kills Candida Albicans but leaves the body vulnerable to other strains of candida and antibiotics greatly increases incidences of non-albicans infections) and that I have to go on yet another anti-fungal to combat whatever strain they found. If I take this two-week course of antibiotics to elimate the ulcer-causing bacteria, I know for 100% certain that I will greatly grow the non-candida strain and get a really bad infection. Since both of doctors offices are closed for an entire week, and my yeast doctor never called back, I am freaking out. I really don't want to go on this antibiotic, period. Does anyone know what would happen if I just never did go on the antibiotic? I don't have ulcers now so why do I have to go on an antibiotic to eliminate the bacteria? And also, it's so annoying how doctors don't communicate with each other. In fact, on the letter they sent me (which also contains a prescription for the antibiotics) it said "please check with your primary care physician or pharmacist to make sure this medication is ok to take with your other medications" (!!!) doesn't that seem like something THEY should know??? And, doesn't it seem that since they already know I am on six months of Diflucan for chronic yeast infections, that prescribing a two-week course of antibiotics would be a problem??? And I can't get through to either office. It's soooo frustraing... Any advice?

So sorry to hear about all of the complications you are having to face. The fact that you do not have ulcers now, but that you do have the bacteria which causes them, is reason to go on the antibiotics to eliminate it or you may very well end up with ulcers. Not something you would want to contend with after being banded.

I understand your frustration with the doctors and not being able to reach them. Perhaps you could check with your local pharmacist. He/she would know about any contraindications between the medications and perhaps could answer some of your other questions. Couldn't hurt to ask.

Good Luck.

Cindy

You must get rid of the Helicobacter. I had it before surgery and had to take antibiotics as be re tested. They will not do the surgery if you still have it. Also do a google search, left untreated it can lead to stomach cancer later on.

Diflucan is a good medicine for yeast infections and the only oral one I might say. However, there are many good ones over the counter with no side-effects that you could use. It is important that you get rid of bacteria that causes ulcers. Fortunately or unfortunately I already have a peptic ulcer and an esophageal erosion (think that one is gone) and I've spent the last few weeks on Nexium. I couldn't imagine getting an ulcer when I was banded. I think it would be the start of a whole new set of problems. Why not switch to OTC medications for the yeast infection. They are just as good and work much faster than Diflucan. You would be covering everything then.

At first I was upset that sooooooooo many tests are required state side but now I'm extremely glad. I found out that I have sleep apnea and am now on C-pap...not that it is good to have sleep apnea by any means, but I could have stopped breathing during surgery. The endoscopy was not bad and not the first one I've had, and it certainly showed me I wasn't ready for the banding yet. Be good to yourself and take the antibiotic and stock up on Monistat or a generic form (Walmart carries Equate which is just as good believe it or not). I don't know what insurance you have but Diflucan is very expensive for one pill and OFTEN does not get the job done in one dose. Good luck to you.

You absolutely must treat that stomach infection. I also suffered from chronic yeast infections until I started eating yogurt every morning. No problems since then. You definitelty will not be able to have surgery until that is treated. I wish you well.

Roberta

You can also fight candida by taking live enteric coated lactobacillus and bifidus, found at the health food stores. The enteric coating allows the capsule to only open in an alkaline environment which is in the latter part of the small intestine. These good biotics sometimes referred to as Probiotics excrete enzymes that are hostile to candida, and viruses. There is so much danger by not geting rid opf the ulcer causing bad guys!!, at least candida will not kill you. the candida does require sugar to reproduce so there are cleansing diets that you can go on, no refined carbs, no sugar, no potatoes or rice, chips etc. This combo gives the candida a one two punch. Another thing is that when the candida reacts with sugar, you can actually produce as much as 1 pint of alcohol in your gut causing headachs, lethargy and later on liver produced cholesterol. I would visit a naturpath DR. asap and get on the natural cures for candida and also take the antibiotic the get rid of the stomach bacteria and then be able to get the band. If you noticed that you continually crave sugar, the candida is asking for your cooperation... Dont give it!!!

Im glad you are discovering this about yourself, arent you? I hope all goes well for you, Please keep us posted on your findings, we are always here! Blessings.