Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Struggling whether I should get banded

Well I have recently been approved for lap band surgery and I have not set up the surgery date because I am not 100% convienced it is something I want to do and the assistant at the dr.office suggested I join this site so I can talk to others who are "like me" or were like me at some point. I have researched this surgery for about 6 years and thought about it for that long before I decided to talk to a lap band center.

This is not a rush decision by any means and I know there is hard work ahead. Finally this year I decided to at least try and get approved and then I could decide if I wanted to go through it. I do have some health issues like diabetis, high bp and high cholesterol so I feel as I am triple whammied and should just go for it and change my life but this whole "no white foods" thing is kind of bothering me so I wanted to elicit some feedback from the group to see if it is a reality. I know I need to make some changes and I am actually ok with changing the way I eat. I mean my eating habits and lack of exercise is what got me here. I just want to know what to expect from real patients that have had the surgery. I probably need to lose about 80 pounds in all actuality so that makes me think maybe I just need to hire a personal trainer and get to work. I just don't know but I have to make up my mind quickly because my approval letter ends December 31st. Help.... I know I can do it but do I have to take this route for 50 to 80 pounds. If any one else has felt like this please let me know your thoughts. :)

Thanks guys. Syrup71Fort Worth, Texas

You can lose it yourself without the band. But without the band The statistics say you have a 95% chance of gaining it all back and probably more.

The only long term solution for people like us is to have surgery.

You didn't write any of the reasons why you would not want to have this procedure. What are they??

One thing you could consider is to go ahead and have the band put in.. and then you don't have to get fills until you are ready to work it. Not the usual choice people make.. but it is a choice.

The no white foods isn't an absolute "written in stone" rule.. but it does help to drop weight faster if they are eliminated or cut way way back. Again, it is a choice.

The diabetes, hypertension & cholesterol issues will not go away on their own. And there are worse things that can visit us via obesity. It was cancer that came to me ...and made me finally do something about my weight.

Talk to us some more.

Thank you for replying to me and good question. Some of the reasons are several people I know in the last few months have all had some serious health problems with surgery, but only 1 had the lap band so I took that into account.

I don't want to have the surgery and still not lose any weight.

The no white foods and carbonated drinks is bothering me (I wont lie about that). I don't drink alot of regular soda but I do like diet drinks.< /p>

Pretty much most of the people that care about me won't fully support the decision to have it and that is kind of hard to go forward with. Again, they are not saying don't do it but they aren't saying do it either. I just have to make this decision on my own and really didn't have any where else to turn. I agree with what you said though and I do feel it will only help me in the long run. I mean it, It took 20 years to gain it all. Thanks again for the question.. maybe I really don't know why?

I totally hear where you're coming from; I have yet to see my dr for my referral (appts are booked solid until Dec) and the longer I have to wait the more I second guess myself. I see those WW commercials or those people on the Today Show who lost weight without surgery and wonder to myself " why can't I do that?" The fear of my health declining or gaining it all back (if I could lose it at all), however, make me want to keep working towards the band. As far as the food is concerned, from what I've read in the other posts, you won't WANT to have those food due to some of the possible side effects :). Well wishes no matter what you decide...

HI, I am in the same boat you are in...struggling with the decision. I am 44 years old, 5'4", 218, bmi of 37. My goal weight is 150 lbs. I too wonder if I should just get my Buns moving myself with exercise and lose all the weight without the lap band. But will I be able to do it on my own? I have tried many diets and last 3 months and then fall off the wagon. Would the lap band truly help me? How many people fail at this? How many people regret getting it at all? How many people love it? My fear is infection, erosion and having to remove it in five years because of something that has gone wrong? I also fear disliking it after one or two years because it bothers me inside my body for some reason. Does anyone have pain with it after one or two years?

Edited by Jaramipa
spelling error

My coworker had it and she said she truly can't feel it inside of her. I too wondered the same thing. She also said she has no regrets but she had to lose 180 pounds and was practically bed ridden before she decided to do it. I am glad there are others out there that can relate to me because I just don't know whats right for me.

First of all whether we say good points or not, it is up to you to decide 100% if you should get the surgery. I researched the band for over 8 years but never thought I could get it because I wasn't heavy enough and I couldn't afford it. When I found a doctor i could afford I jumped right into it. It wasn't until the surgery where I nearly backed out but glad I didnt.

Your health is something that is imporant and though you don't have as much weight to lose as others do you want to wait until you weigh more to get the band? I started at 210 lbs ( 220ish being my highest ever weight) with only 70 lbs to lose. Sure I could have hired a personal trainer or done any of those diets in the past that got me to my goal weight but nothing ever helped me stay there. I knew the band could help me with this.

As for your diet after the band, it is really no different then thinking that your just eating healthier. Yes there are things you shouldnt eat and yes there will be things that will be hard or impossible to eat but that is just the band reminding you. None of my friends know about my surgery and I can still go out, hang out, go for dinner, drinks etc and still be normal. No one can tell the difference. To them its no big deal if I don't order bread with dinner because I just say I don't need it and that's fine.

I have even gone backpacking through countries in ASia and I am always able to find healthy good things to eat that work with my band. This is not going to be the end of your life or anything it is just the beginning of a healthy one.

Maybe you should see if there are any local support groups you can go to, to talk with people who are banded as well as talk to us on this website :)

Imagine having to get a band or any other kind of WLS to help you lose weight. How awful. It indicates that you are a failure - not as good as other people doesn't it? You should be able to do it on your own shouldn't you? I mean its just weight - all you have to do is eat less and exercise more right? EASY. We all know what we have to do.

I assume this is part of the way that you are thinking. I know that is what I thought at the beginning. But its not easy we all know that. Obesity is a disease as much as high BP, heart disease,diabetes etc etc is a disease. You wouldn't look down on people who had surgery for those and many other illnessess so why do we have such a negative view of WLS.

food is a major problem because it is something that you have to face every day. If your problem was tobacco or drugs or gambling then you can cut those out of your life completely but that is not something that you can do with food.< /p>

There is no shame to having WLS surgery and if your friends or family think there is tell them to go and suck eggs! If you want to do this to improve your health, so that you will be around for them longer, so that you will feel good about yourself, so that you can start living life instead of watching others live it then go ahead and do it.

The only regret I have about my band is that I didn't get it sooner.

Yes some days will be hard and you will curse it but most days are normal. You adapt to a different way of eating. The foods that you should cut back on once banded are the foods that you will need to cut back on to lose weight anyway.

Does having a band mean that you will never be able to have nice food or enjoy a piece of cake or a glass of wine? Hell no - we all indulge occasionally. Once banded you may find there are some foods that you cannot eat but these are different for everyone.

In the end it is up to you but for me being slim and fitting into sexy fashionable clothes is worth more than not being able to eat certain foods.

food is a major problem because it is something that you have to face every day. If your problem was tobacco or drugs or gambling then you can cut those out of your life completely but that is not something that you can do with food.< /p>

One of my favorite bandsters says food addiction is really hard to deal with. If you're addicted to alcohol or tobacco or drugs, you can put the tiger in the cage and leave it there. With food addiction you have to take the tiger on a walk at least 3 x a day.

The no white foods and carbonated drinks is bothering me (I wont lie about that). I don't drink alot of regular soda but I do like diet drinks.< /div>

I will copy what I just wrote to another person considering being banded:

I would try very hard to give up the cokes. I was a diet coke lover. I had one every morning when I woke up instead of coffee.. and diet coke was all I drank all day long.

I've only had sips of it since I was banded 20 months ago, and really I don't miss them all that much. I occasionally miss the tingle at the back of the throat.. and a sip every 8 months or so satisfies me and I can go on without more.

There are some surgeons who say that carbonation isn't a problem, etc. but most of them say that carbonation can lead to dilation of the pouch and over time to possibly a band slip. I just don't think it's worth the risk myself.

It's like giving up any other addiction.. you give them up one step at a time, one day at a time, sometimes one hour at a time. :crying:

There's lots of other good things to drink besides DC. Water, crystal light, tea, Water, coffee, Powerade zero (my current fav), Vitamin water zero, water, fuze slenderize (in moderation..has 20 cal. a bottle), Diet V-8 Splash (moderation), water, Diet oceanspray drinks (in moderation). If you want something in a can so you don't feel left out when others are drinking out of a can.. I've found sugar free lemonade and s/f tea in cans... both non carbonated. You can do it!! Just keep thinking.. what do I want more.. smaller jeans or a diet coke? Smaller jeans usually wins for me. :w00t:

I didn't give up white foods right away after banding, but I have slowly phased them out of my life. There are awesome substitutes/replacements for most things.

It is a bit scary to think about making such major changes in our lives.. but what have we got to lose ? except weight. :)

I will be completely honest here - I LOVE my band. I cannot imagine life without it. I was a total carb-addict. I love bread (still do), Cookies, pastries, etc. But, I don't crave them like I used to because I can't eat them with the band. For instance, if we were to go to a steakhouse before where they had bread, I'd easily eat 1/2 the loaf. (or more!) Now, I might have a tiny slice off of the end (crust) and am completely satisfied with that.

I haven't had a soda since March 7th and it hasn't really bothered me at all. I do know plenty of bandsters that drink diet sodas. For me, I'm just not a big soda drinker anyway, so it's not as big of an issue. My husband is considering the band but that is one of the things that is holding him back but I swear - you will grow to love how the band helps you make choices. At least, that is how I feel. I pick Proteins and pick better foods but do I do that every day? Honestly - no. There are some days where I'll have a small piece of brownie but the band helps me stay with 1 piece versus 5 or 6. That's the difference.

I have lost weight before with weight watchers only to give up and start gaining it back. I don't feel like I'm on a "diet" with the band. It's more of a new lifestyle that doesn't even really bother me. It's so different how my mindset is.

I would talk to other bandsters, check out some blogs, etc. I did a lot of research before getting mine and going into it completely knowledgeable is huge. You're doing the right thing by checking it all out. :)

Good luck to you and I'm always available if you have any questions.

Syrup, you are not alone. I am feeling the same way. I lost 70 lbs on WW. But then I started studying for the CPA exam and gained back 40lbs by reverting to my old habits and not exercising. I am simply tired of the yo yo and I need to do something. WW works but who's to say something else will come into my life and I simply won't handle it well. I thought in the beginning that I would never be one of those people that let it come back but look at me now...I know I have it in me to do WW but I feel like I need more stability at the same time.

"NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS BEING THIN FEELS"

...and I was there a few years ago (due to a divorce and a serious surgery) my nerves were so bad that I dropped so much weight and kept if off with the help of diet pills and living in the gym.

Well....life changed again and I couldn't make it to the gym so much and I noticed that I was getting some heart palpitations so I let up on the pills a little and every so many weeks i would see a couple pounds come creeping back on but I was still in my size 12 low rides so what the hell - i'll just lose it later ---- but I stopped the pills all together ----- so....my point is....I'm now 45 pounds UP since those size 12's and much lighter body. (at THAT POINT, i still needed to lose another 30-40 pounds but no one could really tell, i carried it well) I sit here typing this with 80 pounds to lose now - i have diabetes, mild sleep apnea, super high tri-glicerides and my bones and joints hurt - i'm super depressed by this excess weight and i've tried a million diets withOUT the pills and keep failing --- i have two young daughters and a wonderful fiance and i don't want to leave them anytime soon --- I'm doing this in January because I need to be HEALTHY again --- sure, I'd love to see those gorgeous American eagle jeans again (LOL) and I'd love to strut into an establishment with my head held high again but I need to FEEL good inside (health wise and HEAD wise first)

LapBand will hopefull be that little extra tool that I need - and i pray to God i don't fail this band. I think my head is straight enough for it. I also went back and forth on it for a while but with all the co-morbidities - this is a no-brainer now.

Good luck

I still eat white foods like potatoes, rice, bread, Pasta, etc.--just in MUCH smaller amounts than I used to. And I still drink diet soda once in a while, though it doesn't taste as good to me anymore so I rarely have it. Both of those are OK'd by my doctor (but not all doctors).

I finally chose the band after numerous attempts at different diets that weren't sustainable for me. The band is permanent and helps me out at times when my willpower sags--when my mind doesn't say "No" to large portions, my band does. My band journey has been amazing both physically and emotionally. I'm thin, healthy, and fit now, able to do things I couldn't do before. And as weird as it sounds, sometimes I get almost tearful because I'm so grateful that it has curbed my appetite, and that food still tastes good, I can still enjoy it, but that I am full and satisfied with so much less now.