Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Problems Eating Certain Foods

Scrambled eggs are my single biggest nemesis. I have no idea why, but they sit like lead, and make me feel miserable.

For me, the only solution is to avoid them. Thankfully, there are a bazillion other things to eat; losing out on scrambled eggs isn't a tragedy :)

Whew! I'm so glad that I'm not alone! Looks like I'm going to just have to stay away from eggs. Granted, I don't think I have the problems when the eggs are poached, but I can't remember the last time I had a poached egg so I will have to give it a whirl. Normally I don't have time to even make a Breakfast, let alone have it be eggs, so my breakfast on the go is typically string cheese, or a Protein shake. I prefer the shake simply because the cheese is a bit dry and in the mornings it's a little harder to get down.

But, thank you everyone for making me feel "normal"! It's nice to know I'm not the only one that may have to go without a food I absolutely love!

I was banded in Feb '09 and I can not tolerate scrambled eggs, however, over easy eggs are a breeze and that's breakfast almost everyday.

I can't do rice, Pasta or bread and I can't do a hamburger patty, although I can do ground beef in things, kinda weird.

I got into a fight with a hamburger patty this Saturday. I was helping out my friend with her kid's birthday party and they made burgers and hotdogs. Hotdogs had already given me an issue before so i didn't bother. I went for the patty plain, no bread, no veggies, etc. BIG PROBLEMS there!

I hadn't tried a hamburger patty since my last fill so I guess it's a no-no for me.

Me and eggs are still friends though.

You are not alone...

I cant do, steak, mash potato, pork, gammon, toast {but bread is fine} rice {Pasta is fine- a lil heavy) or chips!

i thought this would be a good thing but iv gained and lost the same 4lbs for 2 weeks now and its driving me mad!!!

God i crave pepsi and chocolate!!! :)

bk to my rice cakes i guess... :thumbup:

My doctor told me that its best to eat over hard eggs because scrambled eggs have too much air in them. Maybe that's what the problem is.

Edited by calsgal

You are not alone...

I cant do, steak, mash potato, pork, gammon, toast {but bread is fine} rice {Pasta is fine- a lil heavy) or chips!

i thought this would be a good thing but iv gained and lost the same 4lbs for 2 weeks now and its driving me mad!!!

God i crave pepsi and chocolate!!! :)

bk to my rice cakes i guess... :crying:

My craving for soda has never gone. My Dr. has told me that it will go away, etc, but it hasn't. I miss the fizz. So... I cheat. I allow myself (like once in a great while) a teeny sip. My Dr does allow me to eat chocolate, I get to have 3 oz of Protein and 1 oz whatever the heck I want! So, if I feel like having a piece of chocolate, I do! I'm much happier with it that way. I've yo-yo'd my whole life, and the main reason is because I go off the diet because I want to eat like a "normal" person. So, I figure if I don't deny myself the foods I love, I won't be so bad.

My doctor told me that its best to eat over hard eggs because scrambled eggs have too much air in them. Maybe that's what the problem is.

That makes so much sense to me. It never even occured to me! Thanks!

My craving for soda has never gone. My Dr. has told me that it will go away, etc, but it hasn't. I miss the fizz. So... I cheat. I allow myself (like once in a great while) a teeny sip. My Dr does allow me to eat chocolate, I get to have 3 oz of Protein and 1 oz whatever the heck I want! So, if I feel like having a piece of chocolate, I do! I'm much happier with it that way. I've yo-yo'd my whole life, and the main reason is because I go off the diet because I want to eat like a "normal" person. So, I figure if I don't deny myself the foods I love, I won't be so bad.

Refined sugar can be addictive. It takes about 6 weeks of being off of it to really get it out of your system. It sounds silly, I know, but having that little sip of soda every now and then could be keeping an addiction to refined sugar active.

Here's some pointers that mgiht determine if you have a problem with refined sugar:

If you don’t get your regular dose of sugar, are you irritable and cranky?

Have you ever taken a long flight and realized you didn’t have the bag of sweets that you thought you had packed? Did you start counting the minutes until the beverage cart came down the aisle so you could get a sugar sweet soda (and whatever else they had)? Have you ever been short tempered with a loved one because you were overdue for your afternoon tea and Cookies?

Have you ever tried to cut down or control your use of sweet foods?

Are you able to eat
just one
? If you buy a package of Cookies, how long do they last? Have you ever tried to ration out your sugar filled foods, saying that you would only eat one a day, or one per meal, but that one always turns into two, three, four…?

Are you using more sweet foods than ever before?

Where before you would buy the regular sized bag of chocolates at the drugstore, do you now seek out the bulk size at the warehouse store? When you are shopping in the mall for business clothes, do you have one eye on the lookout for a sweet and/or gourmet coffee shop?

Have you ever lied about how much sweet food you eat?

Do you ever buy sugar filled food (remember, sugar is in fast food, bread, salad dressing, regular soda, and most processed foods in general) and eat it, throwing out the container before anyone else knows about it? Have you ever eaten your children’s Halloween candy and when they ask where the extra went you say that you had to go through it again and throw out any pieces that appeared unsafe?

Have you ever gone out of your way to get something sweet?

Have you ever been on the way to an appointment and gone to a drive through, just making it to the appointment with no time to spare? Have you ever been settled in at home and gone out to a 24-hour grocery store late at night just to get a fix of your favorite ice cream?

Have you ever gotten upset when someone ate your special food?

Have you ever come home after a long day at work only to find that your favorite food (that you were looking forward to eating
all day
) is gone, because one of your family members ate it? Did you do your best to seem unaffected while on the inside you were furious and frustrated (and anxiously thinking about what else there was to eat)?

Have you ever felt that you had a sugar hangover?

Have you ever binged on your favorite sweets at night, gone to bed because they made you so sleepy, and woken up stumbling about as if you had been out drinking? Was your fuzzy head or a headache immediately relieved as soon as you ate your bagel and jelly?

Have you ever binged on sweet or white flour foods?

Have you ever baked Christmas cookies for a family gathering and ended up eating so many that you had to bake an entire new batch? Have you ever bought a box of chocolates for a gift and bought an extra one for you, only to eat the whole box in one sitting?

Is it impossible to “just say no” to sweet foods?

Can you turn down sweets at parties and focus on socializing instead? Are you able to keep sugar filled foods in the house without eating them? If there is a “food day” at work, can you opt out, or are you compelled to eat whatever is there?

Is sugar controlling your life?

Does your life revolve around where your next sugar fix is coming from? Are you moody, anxious, and irritable based on how much sugar you either have had or haven’t had?

Would you be embarrassed if anyone else knew how you answered these questions?

Reference:

The truth is, most American consumers are so addicted to sugar that they will deny their addictions in the same way that a crack or heroin addict might.

Same gioes with junk food and high calorie foods.

I can't do eggs most of the time, either....haven't bothered with Cereal, really.

I usually drink a smoothie for Breakfast --- OJ, tropical fruit herbalife, sugar free frozen yogurt, and extra Protein = heaven :) I love it! You can make it with skim milk instead of OJ, too....and you can add a few frozen fruit pieces...and use ice to thicken it....I play around with it.

Kim

What about eating cold Cereal? ? I can eat a bowl of Lucky Charms with no problem?!?!

Scrambled eggs are not my friends. :) I sure do miss a good omelette. Especially from Weck's... They are so fluffy and delish... o'well. :crying:

No scrambled eggs for me either. I was able to eat them until about my 3rd fill. I'm glad to read on here I'm not the only one who can't eat them. However, hard boiled eggs are not a problem.

No scrambled eggs for me either. I was able to eat them until about my 3rd fill. I'm glad to read on here I'm not the only one who can't eat them. However, hard boiled eggs are not a problem.

Hard boiled eggs are more difficult than scrambled for me. I thought soft boiled eggs would go down more easily...nope...and I love eggs!