Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BCBS-AZ Anyone? How long to approve?

Hi!

I am having a consult on Monday and I have BCBS of AZ. I am wondering how long it took anyone else with them to get approval? Obviously it will depend on the docs office submitting paperwork etc. Their guidelines don't seem to be too strict and I meet the BMI without having to adjust for co-morbidities.

Just curious what others have experienced with this insurance so I am not caught off gaurd.

Well I was all set to start fretting over whether I could get the surgery done this year since I have already met 750 toward my 2600 deductible but now I am thinking...either way, next year would just give me almost an entire year of having my deductible already met...and that ain't too shabby. :)

Every insurance provider has a 30 day maximum wait limit, so it definitely wont take more than 30 days. :)

Well I had my consult today, now I just have to wait for my doctors to send records to the surgeon's office so we can get the rest of these requirements going and out of the way. Looks like it wont take too long. crossing my fingers anyway:thumbup:

I have BCBS (not AZ though) and my paperwork (including all test results, letter from PCP, etc.) was just submitted to the insurance company today. My surgeon's office told me it would be a week or two before I have a response.

I have BCBS of Az administered by AmeriBen. Once they got the paper work it was in a day or two. Not long at all. The biggest wait was the Surgeons office. Good luck!

THanks! I have to keep reminding myself that it will take TIME for my other docs to send the records etc and that it may be a month or more before they are ready to submit everything...it's so hard to wait! Patience has never been one of my strong points.

I had BCBS (not Az) and they came back within 2 days! I was super excited and scheduled my surgery as quickly as possible. Good luck! It's been the best decision ever for my weight loss.

I have BCBS of AZ. I had a little frustration with them over some paperwork that was submitted by the hospital. The paper work from the dieticaian had to have a date on every page since they couldn't figure out the order. I finally go it submitted after about 2 weeks of playing phone tag and faxing over papers. As soon as they got what they needed they took about 5 days to give the pre autorization to the hospital. One thing we did find out in the middle of it all was that the psycologist has to be licensed or it will not be approved. I had used the one from the hospital but they are like social workers and are not licensed. I found this out due to another patient not getting approved. I had to go out and find one that would do evaluations for Lapband. Overall it wan't bad at all. I am just impatient. I had my surgery 1 week ago on the 11/4. Good Look with your journey.