Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ok, now I'm REALLY freaking out!

Hi,

So, before I made the decision to go with Christiana Hospital in Delaware for my surgery, I had checked out Barix clinics and asked them to send me a packet. I received the packet and a few phone calls from their "patient coordinator" who seemed alot more like a saleperson than a medical professional. She kept calling me at work asking me to sign up for their free informational seminar. I did sign up but then didn't go, and she called me asking me why. I told her that I was busy and would call her back IF I was interested. After that I researched the one surgeon who would have been doing my LAP Band surgery there and found out some lawsuits have been filed against him for alleged "botched" gastric bypasses. That information really turned me off and I decided to go with the other place I was reasearching, which is Christiana Hospital. Well, today I receive yet another phone call from this woman from Barix asking me yet again was I going to sign up for their seminar. So finally I told her I had decided to go in a different direction. She paused for quite a few seconds and seemed really taken aback, and then said in a very cool tone "Oh really? What direction is that?" I said I'd decided on another facility. She asked me why I had made that decision and I told her I had found some things online about the surgeon at Barix that I found unflattering regarding lawsuits. She snapped "First of all, that's not true. Second of all, we have three surgeons here. And third of all, we have a much, much, much lower mortality rate than the hospital you chose. But... good luck!" CLICK. She hung up on me!

I was shocked and taken aback to say the least. It really sounded like she was saying they have a "high" death rate. So of course I'm freaking out about that. Does anyone know a reliable way to find out a surgeon's track record?

I think she was very unprofessional, but what if she's right? It really threw me for a loop! I can't decide if she was just trying a last ditch "hard sell" (like a used car salesperson!) or if she's on to something! Ugh! Now I'm obsessing...

I also talked to Barix Clinics before deciding on a surgeon. I told them up front that I have intolrences to sugar substitutes and that I was not at all interested in GBP. They called and verified my insurance and then called me back and said that my only option was the GBY and then proceeded to try to HARD sell me on that proceedure. I again explained that I have a hard time with sugar subsitiutes and she said she was going to pass me to a nurse that would explain it to me in more detail. ( my best friend is 4 years out from GBP at Barix) The nurse tried to tell me that people "Rarely" have problems with sugar after surgery and that I would be fine. I protested and explained that I have totally researched both surgeries. She placed me on hold and then another woman got on the phone and introduced herself and ask what my questions were, I explained the insurance situation and that I wasn't interested in GBP due to the dumping syndrome and other possible complications. Well, she was a GBP patient and she got really huffy and demanded that I give an example of what I was worried about. I simply told her that I have a very small child and didn't want to miss out on birthday cake and one day a wedding cake with her. She had the nerve to tell me that I would fail if I didn't have the self control to avoid cake for the rest of my life. And then told me that 90% of banded people have serious complications and end up converting to the GBP. I told her she was full of crap and she hung up on me. I couldn't believe that that actually have a patient on hand all day everyday to sell the proceedure. I went on to find a surgeon that was willing to fight my insurace company and it was covered 100%. I am down 51 pounds in 5 months, I love my band. Barix Clinics suck~Mandy

Sounds like what Dr. Ortiz refers to in his book as patient herding! Totally avoid that place at all costs is what I'd do! I don't like to be pressured into anything, she sounds way to pushy all the way around!

sounds scary! I woulnd't worry about what they say about the hospital - trust your gut! Plus, I think a hospital is probably safer than a surgery center b/c they have defribulators and stuff.

Okay, take a deep breath... :(

I agree with Laura - when there's choice, go with a hospital over a clinic. A clinic is not equipped to handle emergencies to the same extent. And don't go with a podunk hospital either - choose one with a level 1 trauma center. Your larger hospitals will almost always be level 1.

A physician who is on the medical staff of a hospital must go through a rigorous screening process called credentialing. The department chairperson will periodically review clinical data and look at disciplinary actions, lawsuits, etc. This is required by JCAHO (the government agency that regulates hospitals).

Keep in mind, any physician who performs bariatric surgery and who has a significant case history MOST LIKELY has a few lawsuits under their belt. Think about it this way... if 1 in 100 gastric bypass patients die and you've operated on 500 patients, that's 5 deaths. When people die in surgery, the family sues. Often the docs settle whether they're at fault or not. Again, these cases are carefully reviewed by the hospital to make sure the physician is competent.

Call the Medical Licensing Board for the state you live in. Ask if there are any disciplinary actions on record for the surgeon you are considering. If there are, you can request a report. While it is not unusual for a surgeon to have lawsuits, it is unusual to have disciplinary actions on your medical license.

Good luck with your surgery! :)

couldn't believe that that actually have a patient on hand all day everyday to sell the procedure

The clinic I went to specializes in LapBands and almost everyone on staff is a bandster. I don't think I've had contact with anyone there who wasn't, except the surgeon himself. The staff who do the paperwork, the psychiatrist/counselor, the fill docs, the receptionists, etc.

I'm not at all surprised that a clinic specializing in gastric bypass would choose to have full time workers who have had the procedure. That's what I'd do if I were running the business -- they'd be able to better related to patients if they'd been through it themselves. Not only that, but I'd be sure to hire only successful WLS patients; ones who had lost all or most of their excess weight, had little to no complications and were gung-ho about the surgery.

But using that to make a hard sell on someone who already said they weren't interested is unethical, imho. Blech! This isn't the first time I've heard something bad about these Barix clinics.

As an aside, don't assume that just because a clinic operates in their own center that they don't also work out of a nearby hospital. The clinic I went to does both. I had mine done in the hospital since my insurance would only cover it that way; the docs just schedule blocks of surgeries at the hospital on certain days.

don't mind me, I'm just feeling opinionated and chatty tonight /sigh

Sunta,I recently had issues with the barix clinic, you can read my post from last week. http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=12692titles "I'm SO angry!" on the support forum. Do NOT let them get to you. They are salespeople, as you see in my post they can be very underhanded. I just Thank God he saved me from going there for the LB, they might be good at GB, but they are not at the LB. Find a good reputible (sp?) doctor and don't freak out, thats what they are wanting you to do.

You have to remeber medicine is a money making industry. You have to pick your surgeon and facility very carefully. Ask questions, Ask LOTS of questions. Make sure that you ask statistics ie, how many of these procedures have you done? How long have you been performing bariatric surgery? Where did you receive your bariatric training from? Medicine is a huge booming BUSINESS, yes business. Did you every wonder why most cancer treatments performed outside of the USA are usually successful. Just think of all the $$$$ that would be lost if cancer was cured. I am not saying that there are not caring and truley compassionate people out there doing it to help others but usually it has to do with the almighty dollar. Just be very careful with whom you trust your life with. I was lucky and had a great surgeon and did an awesome job. But see I had an advantage I am in the medical field and was aware of who to trust and who not to trust :> It will be OK, just be totally aware of your surgeon and your facility and get your facts. You can go on line and get statisitics about your surgeon but you have to pay for the information.

If they are resorting to those tactics, I wouldn't let them within 100 feet of me. This is not just a business transaction...we're talking about your life. They are showing no respect for your concerns or your freedom of choice, and I think that says a lot about the way they would treat you posot surgery, too. I'd definitely choose someone else.

Emily

I live about 20 minutes from Christiana, thats where I had my baby, and thats where my father had his heart surgery. They are a very fine reputable hospital. They wouldn't let non-reputable doctors use their hospital. I'm sure you will be fine.

I had both my surgerys at John Hopkins in Baltimore, but thats where my surgeon operates. Back when I had my band, he was the only one around that did it. (Fabulous doc, I might add). But I never question Christiana. They are a very fine facility.

There should be someone you could put a report in to. I would start with her boss and then wherever they are registers with, (ama, etc.) Thats B.S. Trying scare tactics to drum up business is horrible. You should make her a personal visit. I'm sure she wouldn't be so smug if you were standing in front of her. Geez. She must be making a commision off of it.