Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

where are you a year (or 2 or 3) later?

Hi,

Just wanted to check in with fellow Nov. bandsters. How are you doing with eating right and working out? I am doing well. I eat low carb, low fat, high protien. I am working out about 5 days a week cardio and workout with a trainer doing weights 3 times a week. Look forward to hearing from you.

Hi good to hear that you are doing well. I, too, am doing great. I am down about 60 lbs. and finished my 5th race including 2 1/2 marathons and 2 5k runs. I also have 3 more races this year. I have come a long way and will post my before and after pictures next week. Amazingly, I am no longer loosing but, I am about 14lbs from my goal. So, if I never lost another pound, I am really happy. My band is not very tight. I currently have under 6cc in band. I might allow it to be tightened a little more but, not sure. I am at a good spot right now.

I can't wait to see other responses.

Hi All,

I am down 68lbs and I was banded last October. I just went to see Doctor today and he took a look thru the xray machine and everything looks good! No erosion or slippage. I had him add .25cc so my total fill is 4.75cc in a 10ml band. I have about 38 more pounds to lose. I have hit a plateau which is why I had a small adjustment. But I need to incorporate more excersize and keep refining my diet. I am good with portion sizes but still eat to many sweets.

My next goal is workout 3 times a week and be consistent with it.

I will have to say I learned a lot this past year. If I eat too fast or too much, I will throw up. I used to be very scared about throwing up with slippage but as long you are not doing it all the time, it seems to be okay. I try very hard to avoid it though.

My biggest lesson? Wow, eating 2oz of meat and 1/2 cup of a side really is enough food! Huh, must be why skinny people stay skinny - ha ha.

Good luck with your goals everyone and keep up the great work!

It's been a *long* year for me. I went back and looked at my notes and realized I lost 33 pounds on my own before surgery and a year after surgery, I'm now up 2 pounds from that...despite eating a fraction of what I used to eat and eating better than I used to.

So a month ago I got super serious and started logging everything I ate through FitDay.com...1200 calories, low carb, walked 2.5 miles the first week and by the 4th week worked my way up to 3.5 miles...brisk walk. As of today I weigh a couple pounds higher than I did at the beginning of the month.

My regular doctor says that due to my age and insulin resistance, it will 'take time'. A month of eating right and exercise and I gain weight? How much 'time' do I need?

My bariatric people asked me if I want to do a bypass...which makes me think they don't believe me when I show them my food log and tell them I'm walking 3.5 miles a day. Hell, if someone told me they were eating 1200 calories, low carb, a day and walking 3.5 miles and actually gained weight, I'd probably figure they were lying too.

So...and sorry for the rant...no it's not going well. On the good side, I do have restriction and may actually have been at my sweet spot for the last month since I can eat about 3-4 oz of Protein and 3/4-1 cup of vegies and I'm content to my next meal.

I may have to find a new doctor in the next month since I actually had to push her to do some hormone tests and thyroid test (beyond the traditional T4) to see if there's a problem there that may be causing the lack of weight loss. Her reaction gave me the impression that she also thinks I'm 'lying' about my eating and exercise. As I said...very frustrating.

I am coming up on my 2 year bandiversary (Nov. 6th). I still have about 10 pounds to lose, but if I don't then I'm still excited about where I am. For the first time in my life, my life is not ruled by food! I've had a few minor setbacks, but I'm happier and healthier than I have been in 20 years! Go me!

I am 6 weeks out from having a Tummy Tuck (a big thank you to my DH). I go back to the doctor tomorrow and hopefully will get released to start more exercise! Can't wait for swimsuit season to roll around again!

On my way home, I am stopping by to sign up for the gym near my house! I work from home, so the gym is also a social outlet for me.

I hope we hear from some of my Notorious Novembers bandsters!

Well I am coming up to my 1 year anniversary ( November 9th) and I am happy to say that I am down 78 lbs pre-op and 68 post-op. I feel better, look better and just feel like a whole new person. I am a bit frustrated though because I have hit a plateau for about 2 months now. I exercise 2-3 times a week with cardio and free weights. I am just running into some issues as well with during the day I am unable to eat anything, not even yogurt but as soon as night hits, about 8 p.m I am able to eat a whole meal and have no issues! I do not know if anyone else has the problem or I am just weird. I asked my doctor and he said it was nothing to be concerned about just sometimes my band is tighter at different times then others? Also, I am horrible about taking my multi-vitamins everyday and getting in a high amount of Protein. I have noticed as well that I have been losing a lot of hair and my hair is super thin!! I am not here to complain I AM SUPER THRILLED TO BE DOWN 70 LBS, just some concerns and in seek of advice!!

I am about 50 lbs away from being at my goal. We will see maybe in another year I will be closer to goal! Congrats and good luck everyone!

My bariatric people asked me if I want to do a bypass...which makes me think they don't believe me when I show them my food log and tell them I'm walking 3.5 miles a day. Hell, if someone told me they were eating 1200 calories, low carb, a day and walking 3.5 miles and actually gained weight, I'd probably figure they were lying too.
Elfie, it is really hard to find people who believe you when you gain on 1200 pounds. I learned this from years of experience, years of seeing doctors' eyes roll, years of following Weight Watchers meticulously, journaling on fitday, etc. The fact is that some unlucky people DO, in fact, need far fewer calories than are generally recommended.

I am one of them. You may be, too. It's not fun, and it's not fair. But if you keep doing what you're doing, you'll wind up where I did: significantly heavier, and only because you are aiming for an arbitrary number that does not meet your body's needs for loss.

What does your body need to lose? The only way you'll find out is by trial and error. Going lower in calories (or higher). Bumping up Protein. Paring down carbs. Bumping up exercise (speed or duration). Try things one at a time, so you can pinpoint what is making the difference.

For me, the combo is 800-900 calories, 80-100 g protein/day, <50 grams (net) carb (from veggie, legume, and fruit sources), and exercise every single day (often twice).

What works for you might be very different.

Going lower in calories is difficult. It is contrary to most medical advice. But if your body gains on 1200 calories, it very well may be exactly what you need to do. Fortunately, the band makes it doable; without a band, it is excruciating.

(Thank goodness my surgeon believed me, without hesitation; my journals helped make my case, but he had no difficulty believing I need to restrict my calories so much to lose. This information was what guided his recommendation that I be banded rather than bypassed.)

Thanks Betsy. I have actually begun something new and I'll put it in the bandsters thread rather than derail this one. Right now it's going to be trial and error to find what will work with the body I have now (insulin resistant *and* middle aged). ;-p

Melody